• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the best arguments in favor of theism and against atheism?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Nothing? You are back to calling the universe non-existent, the universe in which you live, move, and have your being?

I didn't say the universe didn't exist, I said a "cosmic existence" such as a god didn't. But since you've got no evidence to the contrary, you're just going to troll. Can't say I'm surprised.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yes it is, or perhaps you have some evidence to back up your claim

That of course depends on your definition of nothing, there is absolutely nothing in science to say that our universe did not comer from nothing, so perhaps you could educate me and point me at the "scientific fact" you claim
Sure, definition of nothing in this context is the absolute absence of mass and energy, not just an absence of particles. Now since it is a scientific fact that physical matter exists, and the scientific Law of Conservation states that matter can not be created or destroyed, by logic it must have always existed. 21st century science is unable to remove one iota of existing material from the universe, nor can it add anything new into it, the mass of the universe forever remains constant.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I didn't say the universe didn't exist, I said a "cosmic existence" such as a god didn't. But since you've got no evidence to the contrary, you're just going to troll. Can't say I'm surprised.
For heavens sake, the universe is cosmic existence...cosmic existence is universal existence. Let me ask you this way, do you accept that you are a creation of the universe?

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
For heavens sake, the universe is cosmic existence...cosmic existence is universal existence. Let me ask you this way, do you accept that you are a creation of the universe?

As opposed to what? An imaginary friend? Humanity evolved within the universe, yes.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
As opposed to what? An imaginary friend? Humanity evolved within the universe, yes.
So good, we are in agreement, humanity lives , moves, and has its being within the universe as a part of cosmic existence. The only disagreement is that you arbitrarily reject the use of the term 'Brahman', or 'God', 'Allah', 'Tao', etc., that some people use to represent 'Universal existence'. It is like as if you reject the use of the term 'air', or 'agua', 'tubig', etc., that some people use to represent 'water'.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Sure, definition of nothing in this context is the absolute absence of mass and energy, not just an absence of particles. Now since it is a scientific fact that physical matter exists, and the scientific Law of Conservation states that matter can not be created or destroyed, by logic it must have always existed. 21st century science is unable to remove one iota of existing material from the universe, nor can it add anything new into it, the mass of the universe forever remains constant.

How about the absence of dimensions? If a nothing has dimensions then it is not nothing, how could one have nothing with dimensions?

It is scientific principle now, however the laws of thermodynamics did not resolve themselves until after the bb event, therefore any talk of conservation of energy prior to 10e-24 of a second of the bb event is moot.

ChristineM

Premium Member
No, I'm saying that the special type of stories we call myths sprang up for a reason.

Ahh, got it, 'false' gods are myths without reason but your god is a myth that occurred with a reason. Ok

Do you by any chance have such a thing as evidence that there is some sort of reason behind myths?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
So good, we are in agreement, humanity lives , moves, and has its being within the universe as a part of cosmic existence. The only disagreement is that you arbitrarily reject the use of the term 'Brahman', or 'God', 'Allah', 'Tao', etc., that some people use to represent 'Universal existence'. It is like as if you reject the use of the term 'air', or 'agua', 'tubig', etc., that some people use to represent 'water'.
What purpose is served by calling the universe "God"?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
How about the absence of dimensions? If a nothing has dimensions then it is not nothing, how could one have nothing with dimensions?

It is scientific principle now, however the laws of thermodynamics did not resolve themselves until after the bb event, therefore any talk of conservation of energy prior to 10e-24 of a second of the bb event is moot.
Huh.....who said nothing has dimensions? What is it about my statement that nothing does not, never has, and never will exist, that you do not understand? I have answered your question why this is so, according to science and logic, in my post that you quoted.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
What purpose is served by calling the universe "God"?
Our ancestors coined words like God, Brahman, Tao, etc., to represent THAT absolute reality of the ONE that is all. I have not studied philology to get to the nitty griity of these terms, but I presume reverence of the universal source of what and who we are would play a part.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Our ancestors coined words like God, Brahman, Tao, etc., to represent THAT absolute reality of the ONE that is all. I have not studied philology to get to the nitty griity of these terms, but I presume reverence of the universal source of what and who we are would play a part.
Does Brahman or Tao have connotations of the Universe plus consciousness or something else, something besides? Or do they literally just mean "everything that exists"?

idav

Being
Premium Member
What arguments do you believe point to there being a God or gods and why do you think this makes more sense than the idea that there are no gods? I am personally a non-believer but I would greatly like to hear arguments against this position and possibly find a religion that at least makes sense.

I would like to hear actual arguments though. Lets keep off saying "ATheism is just dumb!" and the reverse. People come to their own beliefs for a large variety of reasons and you shouldn't just call them dumb for having said beliefs. Even if you think the beliefs themselves are pretty dumb.

Last thing, if you favor monotheism or polytheism or pantheism or non theism please be sure to include specifics of why you favor one version over another.
In pantheism it seems to solve the dilemmas of how a creator can exist and how anything can exist at all. Anything that can exist would exist by virtue of not requiring a cause which would make such a thing god. Saying all that exists is god is saying that all that exists is a miracle of existence including god himself.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Does Brahman or Tao have connotations of the Universe plus consciousness or something else, something besides? Or do they literally just mean "everything that exists"?
They mean the one that is all. A qualification here though, the 'one' itself is absolute and beyond conceptualization, otoh the conceived 'aspects' or 'all' that appear to constitute the one are purely aspects of a secondary aspect, the human mind.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Ahh, got it, 'false' gods are myths without reason but your god is a myth that occurred with a reason. Ok

Do you by any chance have such a thing as evidence that there is some sort of reason behind myths?
If you continue to put words in my mouth, there will be no further reason to key at you.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Huh.....who said nothing has dimensions? What is it about my statement that nothing does not, never has, and never will exist, that you do not understand? I have answered your question why this is so, according to science and logic, in my post that you quoted.

You said absolute, absolute nothing cannot have dimensions.

What is it about my statement that you do not know such and make the claim only on emotion alone. The conditions before 10e-42 of a second after the big bang are unknown and may remain unknown for ever, stomping your foot will make no difference to your guess. What is known is that the laws you are claiming eternal did not exist before the big bang. Therefore you cannot cite those laws in any argument prior to (or immediately after) the event

Not according to science, there is nothing in science to say that our universe did not come from nothing

As for logic, it is based on what is known given present conditions and experience. Again, not relevant prior to the big bang.

ChristineM

Premium Member
If you continue to put words in my mouth, there will be no further reason to key at you.

That is up to you, you made a statement without any sort of evidence and apparent cannot provide any evidence. I am not putting words in your mouth, i am typing my response to your statement.