• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are some of your thoughts about Pacifists?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
For my benefit could you go into more detail please. This was a first for me, and I do not have a closed mind in this area. If this action was improper one would have thought that the Jews of that time would have opposed it. I have only heard the Christian side historically. I would like to hear the other side.
No one has any idea who you are addressing or for what, since you didn't quote the post.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No one has any idea who you are addressing or for what, since you didn't quote the post.

Not so. You were responding to @Fallen Prophet where he was still talking about how evil the money changers were in Hebrew temples during the time of Jesus. You could have used the back arrow where I did quote you to see which post that I responded to. It was rather obvious.

IndigoChild5559

Not so. You were responding to @Fallen Prophet where he was still talking about how evil the money changers were in Hebrew temples during the time of Jesus. You could have used the back arrow where I did quote you to see which post that I responded to. It was rather obvious.
No it wasn'tl You didn't quote me. I had no idea you were responding to me.

Fallen Prophet

You are missing the point. The point of the temple wasn't for people to meditate in the outer courtyard. It was to offer sacrifice. The market facilitated that. It was a wonderful service.
A service that needed to take place in the Temple?

The outer court was the only place that a Gentile could go on the Temple grounds.

And most of those Gentiles only got one opportunity in their lives to go there.

Where in the Law did it claim that the Temple should be a place of commerce?

Where is the commandment to put a marketplace in the outer court?

IndigoChild5559

A service that needed to take place in the Temple?

The outer court was the only place that a Gentile could go on the Temple grounds.

And most of those Gentiles only got one opportunity in their lives to go there.

Where in the Law did it claim that the Temple should be a place of commerce?

Where is the commandment to put a marketplace in the outer court?
I'm sorry, I know this soudns harsh, but the temple was not for Gentile worship. Gentiles were allowed into the outer court, in order to arrange for sacrifice or to ask the rabbis there questions. That outer court was not there fo Gentiles to meditate.

Again, the market facilitated teh offering of sacrifces, thus was a very good thing.

Fallen Prophet

I'm sorry, I know this soudns harsh, but the temple was not for Gentile worship. Gentiles were allowed into the outer court, in order to arrange for sacrifice or to ask the rabbis there questions. That outer court was not there fo Gentiles to meditate.

Again, the market facilitated teh offering of sacrifces, thus was a very good thing.
Isaiah 56:3-7 - "Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.

For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;

Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."

House of prayer - not commerce. The market did not belong on Temple grounds.

IndigoChild5559

Isaiah 56:3-7 - "Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree.

For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant;

Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant;

Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."

House of prayer - not commerce. The market did not belong on Temple grounds.
The use of the word stranger? The word GER also means convert. So parts of this passage refer to Jews, parts to Jews who are converts, and parts to Gentiles who desire to convert. It is at heart a passage that reassures converts and potential converts that they do in fact have place at the table, that they have all the rights, benefits, and obligations of a born Jew. You can hear more about this in the following video:

Fallen Prophet

The use of the word stranger? The word GER also means convert. So parts of this passage refer to Jews, parts to Jews who are converts, and parts to Gentiles who desire to convert. It is at heart a passage that reassures converts and potential converts that they do in fact have place at the table, that they have all the rights, benefits, and obligations of a born Jew. You can hear more about this in the following video:
It is a House of Prayer for all people - not just Jews or converts.

Fallen Prophet

That is a prophecy of the future. It is not a description of the second temple.
Wasn't the second temple built centuries after what Isaiah said?

In the future?

I don't see any dates being mentioned in Isaiah 56 - do you?

Or do you believe you just have some sort of cosmic insight or special authority to declare when all things should come to pass?

IndigoChild5559

Wasn't the second temple built centuries after what Isaiah said?

In the future?

I don't see any dates being mentioned in Isaiah 56 - do you?

Or do you believe you just have some sort of cosmic insight or special authority to declare when all things should come to pass?
The prophecy is for WAY in the future, near the end of days, during the messianic era. NOT the era of ezekiel and the building of the second temple.

Fallen Prophet

The prophecy is for WAY in the future, near the end of days, during the messianic era. NOT the era of ezekiel and the building of the second temple.
This is a toughie for us Christians - because we not only believe in an end times - the Messianic Era - but also the meridian of time - when the Lord Jesus Christ - who we believe to be the Messiah - lived.

We believe that Isaiah spoke often not only of the Messianic Era - but also of the era of the mortal life of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I believe in "live and let live".
People shouldn't go poking their nose where it doesn't belong then cry foul when they get punched in the nose.
Yea. Lol. If I ever go through another childhood, I'm going to get into more fights than Muhammed Ali with nosy and intrusive people.

"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee"