• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are some of your thoughts about Pacifists?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In another OP started by @firedragon , I answered his question, and in his OP I write about being a pacifist.
That made me think, how do other people react to someone who is a pacifist?

So the question may be, what is your view on pacifism and or pacifists?
Are you afraid of them?
Curious to why they think as they do?
Do pacifists create a danger to you as a person?

Do you trust people who identify as nonviolent and pacifistic?

NB: Discussion forum not Debate

firedragon

Veteran Member
In another OP started by @firedragon , I answered his question, and in his OP I write about being a pacifist.

Are you afraid of them?

I understand.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
That is an interesting answer.
When you say "not especially useful in the real world." What do you find not useful in nonviolence?
When other people attack, it's not useful. If a girl were being raped you'd have to use some kind of violence or threat of violence to stop the rapist. If a nation were attacking your nation and your nation were made up of pacifists you would be slaughtered.

We Never Know

No Slack

Are you afraid of them?

I believe in "live and let live".
People shouldn't go poking their nose where it doesn't belong then cry foul when they get punched in the nose.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When other people attack, it's not useful. If a girl were being raped you'd have to use some kind of violence or threat of violence to stop the rapist. If a nation were attacking your nation and your nation were made up of pacifists you would be slaughtered.
When it comes to saving the girl who is raped, I can as a pacifist interact in the way that I do use a little force to remove the person who forcefully rape someone, but in the same way, I would be careful not to harm them (some pain would maybe be felt)

On the second part of your answer, personally, I do not feel I belong to one specific nation. Yes, I am born and live in Norway, but that does not mean much to me.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
The commitment to non-violence is a good one, but not to the point where a refusal to fight abets a profound evil. The obligation to do good (like protecting the innocent, or resisting unjust aggression) trumps any obligation to avoid violence. A total and absolute refusal to engage in violence only makes you an accomplice in evil by omission.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
When it comes to saving the girl who is raped, I can as a pacifist interact in the way that I do use a little force to remove the person who forcefully rape someone, but in the same way, I would be careful not to harm them (some pain would maybe be felt)

On the second part of your answer, personally, I do not feel I belong to one specific nation. Yes, I am born and live in Norway, but that does not mean much to me.
But if your nation had not fought in such a scenario you may end up living in a land conquered by who knows who. You may then lose the freedom to be a Muslim at all.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The commitment to non-violence is a good one, but not to the point where a refusal to fight abets a profound evil. The obligation to do good (like protecting the innocent, or resisting unjust aggression) trumps any obligation to avoid violence.
Only speaking from how I see it, I am a helper, not a fighter. It means in a time of war I would help the wounded, the people who lose their homes or are in danger of being killed. and so on.
But I can not pick up a weapon to on purpose harming someone

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But if your nation had not fought in such a scenario you may end up living in a land conquered by who knows who. You may then lose the freedom to be a Muslim at all.
Outward yes, inward no :) I would still be able to practice esoteric Sufism. but when I leave the home I would have to be careful to not mention Islam or Sufism, which is true

exchemist

Veteran Member

Are you afraid of them?

I can't see how anyone can be afraid of a pacifist.

Personally, I respect pacifism as a point of view, as there are valid arguments in its favour. However it is not a point of view I share, as I accept the principle of the "just war". I think history shows us there are occasions when war is necessary, even though it brings a lot of early and unpleasant deaths.

Laika

Premium Member

Are you afraid of them?

I’m inclined to think pacifists make the best killers as you care what you are doing and are going to think deeply about it and the justifications for it. You know its murder- the point is to convince you to do it anyway! :D

If you decide not to kill, well, that’s your choice but I think we’re all human and we all have limits. A pacifist is not just going to “follow orders”, they have to believe in what they are doing as well. But Its a questions of turning the things you believe are worth living for in to reasons to kill for.

a pacifist with a gun doesn’t worry me as much as the nutters with a gun who don’t care what they are doing and may kill impulsively because its easier than having self-awareness and self-control. Plus you get a strategic advantage of being spectacularly unpredictable because you are not playing by the same rules.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I’m inclined to think pacifists make the best killers as you care what you are doing and are going to think deeply about it and the justifications for it. You know its murder- the point is to convince you to do it anyway! :D

If you decide not to kill, well, that’s your choice but I think we’re all human and we all have limits. A pacifist is not just going to “follow orders”, they have to believe in what they are doing as well. But Its a questions of turning the things you believe are worth living for in to reasons to kill for.

a pacifist with a gun doesn’t worry me as much as the nutters with a gun who don’t care what they are doing and may kill impulsively because its easier than having self-awareness and self-control. Plus you get a strategic advantage of being spectacularly unpredictable because you are not playing by the same rules.
For me, even killing a mosquito is something I do not do :) So killing humans would be so far away from any thought I would ever have.
I see value in every living being and there is always a reason for how we experience our life, in good and bad

Nimos

Are you afraid of them?
Easy picking :glomp2:

More seriously, see no reason to be scared of them.

I don't see them as a threat to me, I have never been in a "real" fight or the military. So I guess im basically living as a pacifist. I do however think that in certain cases violence or war is the only option, but seems wise to avoid it if at all possible.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member

'Pacifist with A Gun' sounds like a great movie lol.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Are you afraid of them?
My answer to all your questions is 'no'.
As to what I think about pacifists - they are impractical and bound to fail.