• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are runes?

Runt

My source does the same… the same symbol is described interchangeably as “chicken” and “quail”. If I look for references to “quail” instead of “chicken” I get more meaning: a flowering reed next to a quail gives the verb “to be”… but I still cannot find any reference to a quail and a man with his hand to his mouth. Then again, my book is only a little over 200 pages long, and the Egyptians had hundreds of symbols, which could be arranged in innumerable combinations to create gave thousands of different words…so I’m not surprised I didn’t find it. I think my book covers only the dead basics. :p

Completely unrelated (other than being hieroglyphics) but equally interesting to me is the Egyptian dislike of sparrows. Every other bird they featured in their writing—falcon, vulture, owl, ibis, stork, heron, phoenix, eagle, swallow, quail, duck, goose—all seemed to have meaning that was “good”… but the sparrow to them was the “bird of evil” (the SPARROW!!!) and meant smallness, evil, sickness, and determined all words in that category. Basically, if there is a word with a negative connotation, that sparrow will most likely be in it. I can’t quote directly (cuz I can’t find the stupid page on the subject) but basically the only real beef Egyptians had with sparrows was that they were annoying. Annoying… and somehow they became the “bird of evil”. You’d think it would be the vulture… but then, I guess maybe that’s more Western thought…

Still though… a sparrow...

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
sparrows ate your crops... evil evil little birds.... :lol:
(lots of cultures like vultures, they have a symbology that connects them with bringing souls to 'heven', perhaps europe didn't like them because they didn't have much experience with them?) I also havent seen anything about rabbits.. the brown rabbit is found in the area...

one Egyption symbol you don't see printed too often is that of a phalus doing something very un-victorian, can't remember what it stood for... my referance book is still in storage... :roll:

its intresting how many cultures held writing to be powerful/magical... it seems so hum-drum nowadays....

wa:-do

true blood

Everyday millions of people use runes as part of their daily lives. I myself have never used them before but I know others who cast them regularly. Those practicing in this craft use them in times of "need" like if an event or situation arises a person might "pull a rune" for "extra information". Or lets say your looking for a new job so you might "cast a few runes" to help ya out etc.. Some take it very serious, casting runes all the time because "they keep getting better".

Runt

one Egyption symbol you don't see printed too often is that of a phalus doing something very un-victorian, can't remember what it stood for... my referance book is still in storage...

The penus symbol literally meant "penus" and "male" or simply referred to a vessel or conduit in ANY part of the body. The penus ejecting liquid meant "to sire", "to urinate".

Oh, and I found the passage in the book about why Egyptians hated sparrows: "It is a noisy, agitated, destructive creature, that reproduces endlessly." All that work hunting through it for that ONE LITTLE SENTENCE!!! Oh well... I find it amusing enough to share anyway.

"Bird of evil".... LMAO!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hey.. when he's eating your crops you might not like him so much

its amazing how much a flock of birds can eat...
the old phrase "eating like a bird" is completely backwards... birds are 'pigs'

Hence the popularity of cats in Egypt... they protected your food and kept you from starving.

Do you know if the phalus symbol have a phonetic meaning as well? I know most symbols did....

wa:-do