• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are Muslims in Your Country Like?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Please........please.....before someone else responds.......just re-read this thread and perhaps read other threads by the OP and respondents. Namely someone like me.
I respect what you are saying but......
The thread you are seriously responding to is not serious....in a sense.
Just please........
REALLY?

NO YOU DON'T respect what I said. But I deleted some of my posts so as not
to offend those sensitive to the shooters.

What isn't serious about gunning down helpless people for any reason?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I dunno wot to say.... Um, they are people, just like you and me.... (No, really.) Leave all the Islam bull**** aside and they are terrific people....

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
This is too much for me. I don't think I'm using RF more today. I hope it does not go even further. When depression hits me, it puts me down for days.
Hey, snap out of it. :)

As a wonderful fellow Canadian once recorded, long ago, Ok, OK, OK... he can`t sing worth a damn, but this is for you

What is depressing, is that I remember well when this was first released in 19-fricken-70.... I was only a randy 14 year old....

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hey, snap out of it. :)

As a wonderful fellow Canadian once recorded, long ago, Ok, OK, OK... he can`t sing worth a damn, but this is for you

What is depressing, is that I remember well when this was first released in 19-fricken-70.... I was only a randy 14 year old....

Hey there. I over reacted there and snapped, sorry about that. And thank you for trying to comfort me.

I'll try to snap out of it soon, but I'm not sure I can. It has to take its time. In my estimation, it's probably a day or two.

Last edited:

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
That's awesome about the girl. Not so much about the imam who speaks of the "deviance" of LGBT people.

Yeah, but what can you do? I sort of already knew that would be his view when I went to meet him. Of course I don't agree, but still. A part of me thinks that me being Hindu would be worse than being gay, if he knew.

Did the Shi'a girl immigrate to the U.S. alone or with her family? That is, do you know if they have any problem with her liberal views or if they're liberal like her?

She immigrated alone. As far as I can tell, she and her family get along well enough, but they are about as traditional as older Iraqis might be. I remember her telling me that they don't like LGBT, but that they've also never met any who were open. They've only heard what their Imam has told them. She hopes one day that they will meet some and change their views.

Sakeenah

I'm asking this question because I'm seriously approaching the point of distrusting Muslims as a religious group overall—that is, to the point of distrusting most Muslims. Just now I was looking at comments (in Arabic) on an article about the Orlando shooting, and on top of the fact that the article referred to the gay nightclub as a "deviant nightclub," many of the comments celebrated the incident and called the shooter "a true man."

I would just like to know how most Muslims are in the U.S. or, if you are from another Western country, how most Muslims are in your country—the ones you have met and known, at least.

I'm not going to criticize Muslims or Islam in this thread, because I might let out more cynicism than I would like and because I would rather not criticize either at this particular sensitive time. I'm just trying to gain understanding because I'm quite jaded due to my experiences with the vast majority of Muslims I have ever met, including relatively "moderate" ones.

And what bothers me as much or possibly more is when I see far-left liberals defending Islam and Muslims in general, even Muslims in the Muslim world who express sentiments like what I mentioned above, instead of acknowledging any problems whatsoever with either. It's one thing to refuse to criticize Islam and certain (albeit very large groups of) Muslims for the time being (which is what I'm doing or at least trying to do right now) or to even remain neutral overall, but to defend both?

Yeah, I need some more perspective here primarily out of sheer need to curb jadedness and cynicism. Reading those comments quite literally made me sick in my stomach, and I'm trying not to fall for such general distrust toward such a large religious group.

Hi,

As a muslim I can't understand how a muslim can call a shooter who killed innocent people a true hero.
The conservative muslims I know here in KSA and in the west condemn what happened in Orlando. I ask God to give strenght and peace to the friends and families of the victims.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hi,

As a muslim I can't understand how a muslim can call a shooter who killed innocent people a true hero.
The conservative muslims I know here in KSA and in the west condemn what happened in Orlando. I ask God to give strenght and peace to the friends and families of the victims.
Very nice.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
@Debater Slayer

You're letting the haters get to you and you are in danger of becoming a hater, yourself. Imagine if you felt the same about black people, Christians, Jews or whatever other group. It's not right to condemn whole groups of people, especially when that group consists of over a billion people from all around the world. All groups are incredibly diverse and it is not possible to make statements that apply to all members of said group.

Besides, there are a ton of people here in America - who aren't Muslims or even necessarily religious - who are celebrating the "dead f@gs". So it's not like we're any better over here.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Honestly I thought it was a christian cause thats what we get a lot of around the four states around me. Florida, I think tourists so no telling. I hate that I am even thinking religion right away but I see a correlation that shouldn't be dismissed. Here in this country its 50% bigotry and the other 50% aren't as vocal, its like two different Jesus's.
I thought it was going to be a white fundie Christian loon or otherwise far-right crank, too. Those are the ones who do almost all the terrorism in the US, like Tim McVeigh.

Last edited:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Hi,

I think that God will award them as they were partners of that criminal. (as bad intention),God will judge everyone for the words he tells.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Every now and then, I consider starting a thread about my experience with Muslims and what I learned about both Muslim culture and my own country's part in Middle East affairs.
Some of the latter was so ugly I have never viewed my country the same way and never will.
By and large the Muslims were like any other group of highly educated, socially conservative, people with money. Once they got to know me they included me in conversations about all sorts of stuff, including political.

Am sure that some were put off by my being a gay atheist who was terribly ignorant my country's part in the disasters in the Muslim world. But absolutely everyone was kind and decent to me.
And one of the common themes I heard from them was, "I like the USA, largely because there is nobody telling me how be Muslim. I'm a Muslim the way I think I should be, not what some imam or police tells me I have to be."

I liked them and learned a lot.
Tom

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey there. I over reacted there and snapped, sorry about that. And thank you for trying to comfort me.

I'll try to snap out of it soon, but I'm not sure I can. It has to take its time. In my estimation, it's probably a day or two.

Hey, I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad you and I got this clarified in our conversation, but I hope things go well for you. :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Hi,

I'm glad to hear that the conservative Muslims you know condemn what happened, and thanks for your post. I'm really happy to read that. :)

Salaam.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
, if you are from another Western country, how most Muslims are in your country—the ones you have met and known, at least.

DS, I haven't known all that many Muslims, and most I knew/know were from Lebanon, with one exception who was from Morocco. Edmonton, the Canadian city where I live had one of the first mosques in North America, and it was built by early Lebanese settlers who were fur traders. There was one enclave in a small town.
see this http://llbleb100.ca/pdf_files/Bio-Hussein_Ali_Abougoush.pdf

The school where I taught had 4 or 5 Muslim families, all Lebanese. I coached a couple at volleyball, had several as students and got to know a few of the parents. Other than being Muslim and sitting out the Christmas concerts (along with myself, and the JWs) you wouldn't notice them at all in any sense. Lots of fun, a variety in learning style, and more.

I did worry a bit about the Moroccan kid I worked with, but it had nothing to do with him being Muslim, and a lot more with him just not being smart. He seemed way too much like a follower, and had some growing up to do. He had poor control of his spending, and relied om Mommy and Daddy way too much, given his age.

This is a very multicultural part of town and we have 3 mosques within easy driving distance (4 Hindu temples, 2 gurdwaras,. and a Buddhist temple too) My kids all went to a large multicultural high school and same thing there ... lots of variety, some kids staying more within their own racial/ethnic group, while others mixing. Even within families there is quite the variance. My son is friends with a rambunctious non-practicing Muslim from India who can drink way too much, yet his brother is a dedicated Muslim. From that alone it is clear to judge individuals, not groups.

DS, you'd like this guy I think https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naheed_Nenshi

Last edited:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
@Debater Slayer

You're letting the haters get to you and you are in danger of becoming a hater, yourself. Imagine if you felt the same about black people, Christians, Jews or whatever other group. It's not right to condemn whole groups of people, especially when that group consists of over a billion people from all around the world.

Well, I'm not condemning "whole groups of people." There's a reason I clarified this in the OP:

I'm asking this question because I'm seriously approaching the point of distrusting Muslims as a religious group overall—that is, to the point of distrusting most Muslims.

"Most" is still a huge number, of course, but it's not the same as a "whole group" at all, and like I have pointed out before, the reason I say "most" is the fact that most Muslims I have ever dealt with have beliefs that are homophobic, sexist, etc. It's not like I didn't get my impression from first-hand experience and talking to many Muslims in person, on top of reading and hearing their comments on different issues.

I still don't feel comfortable with the idea of distrusting most Muslims just for being Muslims without getting to know their beliefs one way or another, though, hence my starting this thread and asking people about their experiences with Muslims in other countries.

All groups are incredibly diverse and it is not possible to make statements that apply to all members of said group.

Yes, which is why I'm not making any statements about all members of the group in question, as I mentioned above.

Besides, there are a ton of people here in America - who aren't Muslims or even necessarily religious - who are celebrating the "dead ***s". So it's not like we're any better over here.

That doesn't mean the Muslims who support the violence are any less guilty or that their support for violence has nothing to do with their religion, though; it just means that people from other groups are guilty of supporting violence as well.

I do see your point about not falling for hatred of entire groups. While in my case the problem is more of potential distrust of most members of a group rather than outright hatred, I still think that's something to avoid. This thread has been helpful so far in terms of giving me a different perspective.

Last edited:

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
We host many Saudi students studying in Melbourne, they have all been polite pleasant people to deal with, but at times I must laugh at their reluctance to go to beach in 40C heat in case they see a woman in a bikini. I respect their right to believe what they wish, but I am Australian and it would be nice if they left their anachronistic behavior in thier home countries and learn to go with the flow in the privileged environment Melbourne offers as the best place to live in the western arm of the Galaxy.

Cheers

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
We host many Saudi students studying in Melbourne, they have all been polite pleasant people to deal with, but at times I must laugh at their reluctance to go to beach in 40C heat in case they see a woman in a bikini. I respect their right to believe what they wish, but I am Australian and it would be nice if they left their anachronistic behavior in thier home countries and learn to go with the flow in the privileged environment Melbourne offers as the best place to live in the western arm of the Galaxy.

Cheers

Hey, I'm Saudi :D

A woman in a bikini? Where?

:hearteyes: