• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Are Muslims in Your Country Like?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly I thought it was a christian cause thats what we get a lot of around the four states around me. Florida, I think tourists so no telling. I hate that I am even thinking religion right away but I see a correlation that shouldn't be dismissed. Here in this country its 50% bigotry and the other 50% aren't as vocal, its like two different Jesus's.

This is the kind of stuff we see a lot of.
In November 2015, Robert Lewis Dear killed three and injured nine at the Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, Colorado.[119]
November 29, 2015: A shooting at a Planned Parenthood clinic in Colorado Springs, Colorado, left three dead and several injured, and a suspect was apprehended.
September 4, 2015: A Planned Parenthood clinic in Pullman, Washington was intentionally set on fire. No injuries were reported due to the time of day, but the FBI was involved because of a history of domestic terrorism against the clinic.[I 51]

Interesting. Those incidents are quite unfortunate.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Shimi

Lupus Ovis Pelle Indutus
Thanks! Yes, it helps give me additional perspective.

Just curious: Are the Muslims who play cricket mostly from Pakistan and India? I know cricket is pretty popular there.

Glad it helped! Yep, almost all of them are from Pakistan and India, with the majority being from Pakistan.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I've met only a few Muslims here in N.E. Ohio.
They, like me, were in recovery from alcohol addiction.
That deadly condition made us all the same.
Religious differences mean nothing.
We all cared for one another.
Religion be damned.
People that suffer together are closer connected.
After A.A. meetings we all hold hands and pray together giving thanks
to our Higher Power for our sober lives.
We almost always refer to "God" as our Higher Power.
A Power greater than ourselves.
H.P. for short.

The unity sounds wonderful, even if it is in unfortunate circumstances.

Best of luck with your recovery. :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I haven't spoken to many muslims personally, so I don't have a large frame of reference. However, there are two I'd like to mention.

One was the Imam at the mosque back at home. Very nice guy, humble, devout, and just wanted what was best for his congregation. He's Syrian and is horrified with what's going on over there and thoroughly condemns ISIS with every fiber of his being. However, he is still vey conservative theologically and socially; speaking on the deviance of LGBT and how one must do everything right to please God and get into heaven. Still, with that said, even if he believed it to be sinful, he never condoned any violence against anyone.

Another was an Iraqi Shia girl who I met a couple of weekends ago. She immigrated to the US to attend university and was an amazing person to talk to. She's pro-LGBT, pro-woman's rights, pro-secularism, and pretty much pro-anything that wasn't allowed in Iraq. While she doesn't practice Islam that strictly (she didn't fast or pray often, but still wore hijab) she still identifies as muslim and said that living outside of a place which enforced the religion has made her faith stronger.

That's awesome about the girl. Not so much about the imam who speaks of the "deviance" of LGBT people.

Did the Shi'a girl immigrate to the U.S. alone or with her family? That is, do you know if they have any problem with her liberal views or if they're liberal like her?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
The unity sounds wonderful, even if it is in unfortunate circumstances.

Best of luck with your recovery. :)

Thanks. I'll do well as long as I put sobriety first. And I do.
The unity is awesome as we all are in recovery from a deadly condition.
We have members representing all religions, the sexes, those not religious,
ethnicity nor race nor sexual preference means anything.
If the people of the world followed the 12 steps of recovery the world would
be a much better place.

jeager106

Premium Member
Well as a group I feel Muslims either.absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
From the Muslims you have met, how many would you say are devout believers in the sense of adopting mainstream Islamic teachings on things like same-sex marriage, gender equality, etc.?
Those are fairly similar to the corresponding beliefs in many of the most active Christians here in Brazil. In that sense Islam is not too much of a deviation from the Brazilian mainstream.

So I would say about 90% or even more.

Those are the main issues I'm wondering about, because it has been my experience that even most relatively moderate Muslims can be very rigid when it comes to those particular issues. I'm wondering if things are very different outside the Middle East.

I fear you are not likely to have much of a positive surprise there. I want to be proven wrong, though.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Those are fairly similar to the corresponding beliefs in many of the most active Christians here in Brazil. In that sense Islam is not too much of a deviation from the Brazilian mainstream.

So I would say about 90% or even more.

That is pretty sad. It doesn't surprise me given my experiences with the majority of Muslims and Christians I've met, though.

I fear you are not likely to have much of a positive surprise there. I want to be proven wrong, though.

Yeah, I would like you to be proved wrong in this case too, although I'm admittedly not expecting you to be.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Most of the Muslims I have met and known have behaved like people. Strange, but true.;)

I'm not asking whether or not they "acted like people"; the vast majority of Muslims I've met "act like people" too. I'm asking what their beliefs are like—that is, whether their beliefs are as strict and sometimes hateful as most of the ones I have met where I live.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Really helpful answers in this thread. Thanks, all. I was quite upset when I made this thread, and I'm still pretty disgusted at many of the comments I read. The answers in this thread have helped a lot, though.

jeager106

Premium Member
Please........please.....before someone else responds.......just re-read this thread and perhaps read other threads by the OP and respondents. Namely someone like me.
I respect what you are saying but......
The thread you are seriously responding to is not serious....in a sense.
Just please........

O.K. at the risk of a truthful post with citation hurting sensitive ones I deleted the original post but that evidently won't delete the copy and pasted original post.
Never thought the truth of a copied and pasted bit of information would cause
upset feelings but for the tender among us I deleted the original.
If the mods like they can delete the whole stinking thread for all I care.
I simply cannot make the Florida massacre not happen by the people that did

it for the reasons they did it.