• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are Jinns?

elmarna

It is a demonic force which prays upon you wishes and wants. It preys on desire in a lust to cosider the world of it with a thirst and hunger unsatable.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Hold on, I've read that Jinns can be good or evil, just like us.
Is there any merit to that?

The Jinn do have free will, they do live a mortal life in that they do age and die, do have children and in many ways have human-like attributes. Like humans they can be good or evil.

The best known of the Jinn is Iblis (The shaytan) (Satan) he and the other Shaytans among the Jinn are the Jinn a human is most likely to come in contact with. However a Jinn has no power over us unless we allow one to. One reason we say: "“A`udhu billahi minash-Shaytan ir-rajeem” (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan) every time we feel tempted by a Jinn.

Bob Dixon

>implying
The Jinn do have free will, they do live a mortal life in that they do age and die, do have children and in many ways have human-like attributes. Like humans they can be good or evil.

The best known of the Jinn is Iblis (The shaytan) (Satan) he and the other Shaytans among the Jinn are the Jinn a human is most likely to come in contact with. However a Jinn has no power over us unless we allow one to. One reason we say: "“A`udhu billahi minash-Shaytan ir-rajeem” (I seek refuge in Allah from the accursed Satan) every time we feel tempted by a Jinn.

Ah, I see.

Are they generally more powerful than humans? Like, they may not have power over us, but are they stronger than us in general?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I see. That is interesting.

Woodrow LI

IB Ambassador
Ah, I see.

Are they generally more powerful than humans? Like, they may not have power over us, but are they stronger than us in general?

They do have powers us humans do not have, such as greater physical strength, the ability to take on other appearances, etc. they are sort of between man and angels. Although it is possible they can help us and not just bring evil, we are not to ask them for help in any matters as that will be very close to praying to a being other than Allaah(swt)

Bob Dixon

>implying
They do have powers us humans do not have, such as greater physical strength, the ability to take on other appearances, etc. they are sort of between man and angels. Although it is possible they can help us and not just bring evil, we are not to ask them for help in any matters as that will be very close to praying to a being other than Allaah(swt)

So, simply, treat them like you would treat humans; they can help/hurt you, but they shouldn't be worshipped like God.

elmarna

Watch the movie -the wishmaster. (The first 1) it will give you a good idea of them.
Most Jinn are not good! They do exist in this world , but in the method of them they sre not something to ever wish to see! In the realm of the ways of them they prey -not pray!

Starsoul

Truth
Also, jinns are made of fire, and are a creation of Allah swt. But in position ,man is considered superior to all creation and Called as the best of all creation.

Rakhel

which was why, if I understand the story correctly, Iblis refused to bow to Adam. He felt superior to Adam, who was created after Iblis.
I find this thought to be just slightly understandable.

Starsoul

Truth
which was why, if I understand the story correctly, Iblis refused to bow to Adam. He felt superior to Adam, who was created after Iblis.
I find this thought to be just slightly understandable.

yes you're spot on. Some part of the dialogue between God and Iblis is also included in the Quran. When God created man and asked all his creation to bow down to man, all did except, the King of Jins (he was later called Iblees), when God asked ' what stopped you from obeying my orders?' the Jin replied angrily , " How can I bow down to him! I am superior, I am made of fire, and he, made of clay!"

(Allah) said: "(O Iblis) get down from this (Paradise), it is not for you to be arrogant here. Get out, for you are of those, humiliated and disgraced."

14. (Iblis) said: "Allow me respite till the Day they are raised up (i.e. the Day of Resurrection).( this verse slightly hints here that iblees already knew that there was going to be a testing ground for the new creation man, and there was going to be a day of judgment, so the thought that man was tested only because of iblis is dispelled here)

Hence, Iblees's arrogance arose out of jealousy, he worshipped God only untill he did not have to prove himself, and when he was given a chance to exercise his free will, he chose jealousy and arrogance over obedience. I was just reading the whole thing a few days back, in this sura , Sura Al Aaraf.

Translation of Surah Al-Araf - NobleQuran.com

What is the most interesting part of this conversation was that Iblees, after choosing to disobey, out of his own free will, 'Blamed' God for giving him free will and thus 'making him go astray'.( and thats what we humans often do too, when we do something right we own it up to ourselves and when we do something wrong, we are mostly angry at God for letting it happen the wrong way)

(Iblis) said: "Because You have sent me astray, surely I will sit in wait, against them (human beings) on Your Straight Path."

17. Then I will come to them from before them and behind them, from their right and from their left, and You will not find most of them as thankful ones (i.e. they will not be dutiful to You)."

18. (Allah) said (to Iblis) "Get out from this (Paradise) disgraced and expelled. Whoever of them (mankind) will follow you, then surely I will fill Hell with you all."

If you read the whole sura translation, you'll find the kind of promises iblis made to Adam and eve, of his sincerity to make them disobey Allah as well.

Last edited:

Rakhel

and when they did, Adam blamed HaShem for giving the woman to him.

Man are truly stupid creatures :)

Jins are second creature that is made by ALLAH they lived in our world but they have different frequency we cannot see them neither touch them nor harm them. ALLAH have given them many powers. Yes jins can be good and bad. bad jins are dangerous as they can harm humans too.

Starsoul

Truth
and when they did, Adam blamed HaShem for giving the woman to him.

Man are truly stupid creatures
: )

But he did not blame eve, according to the Quran, I hear that to be a christian concept, in Islam, he realized his own mistake and sought forgiveness from ALLah for himself and eve, so did eve, none blamed the other.

Rakhel

Oh Jews aren't saying she isn't as guilty as Adam. But they do counter the Christian claim that Adam carries no guilt.