• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are everyone's core values?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
To me, religion tends to divide us. I suspect that if we were to step back from our religion and examine our core values, we might find that we're much more like minded than our religions would suggest.

I'd like to know what your core values are, and I think the shorter the list, the better. Kind of like philosophical axioms. So here is my list of core values:

- the golden rule
- critical thinking (logic and evidence and such)

In my mind, I can start with the golden rule and extend that to include things like: kindness, compassion, patience, generosity and so on. I think that I could make a pretty good defense that those are the only core values I need, and that other things I value are extensions of those two.

Yours?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Think & Care

It's right under my username.

Think about who you are and the consequences of your actions. Think about how the world is and how it can be changed.

Care about people. Care about the effects of your actions on others. care about the suffering of others.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Mine would be just try to stay realistic about things and try not to fabricate or embellish my experiences.

It would help prevent false expectations and arguably result in a more stable and tolerable life.

amorphous_constellation

- something about making a tangible accomplishment , contributing positive things to the world if I might
- trying to learn throughout life , it gives a chance at self - enrichment , which in turn might enrich society just a little more
- trying to connect with the spiritual mystery side of this thing we're all doing

PureX

Veteran Member
EQUAL freedom, justice, and opportunity for all humans.

EQUAL responsibility to us all, for us all.

After that, value whomever, whatever, and why ever you like.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
To me, religion tends to divide us.
It can and too often does. OTOH, a different approach, such as what one can find with many in Hinduism, is more open to greater understanding of Self and is far less adhering to an "one size fits all" approach. The ecumenical movement also is very helpful along this line.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Kindness.

Forgiveness.

Tolerance.

Honour.

Being at peace with history, the world. etc. and trying to find diplomatic ways of dealing with issues rather than trying being revolutionary.

Grace, mercy.

All these kinds of things. While such attributes as intelligence, logic, etc. are good, they don't make folks good; being smart doesn't mean you behave well; being well-read doesn't make you chivalrous; having a PhD doesn't make you loving, merciful and warm.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Creativity, clarity, autonomy, and teaching

Everything comes from freedom and clarity. I always have a fear I'd lose my freedom... Illness,homelessness, so have you.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To me, religion tends to divide us. I suspect that if we were to step back from our religion and examine our core values, we might find that we're much more like minded than our religions would suggest.

I'd like to know what your core values are, and I think the shorter the list, the better. Kind of like philosophical axioms. So here is my list of core values:

- the golden rule

In my mind, I can start with the golden rule and extend that to include things like: kindness, compassion, patience, generosity and so on. I think that I could make a pretty good defense that those are the only core values I need, and that other things I value are extensions of those two.

Yours?
Empathy
Reflective Equilibrium (Reflective equilibrium - Wikipedia.)

joe1776

EQUAL freedom, justice, and opportunity for all humans.

EQUAL responsibility of us all, for us all.

After that, value whomever, whatever, and why ever you like.
I'll second the motion for equality.

There's no reason to feel superior to others in human worth. Nor is there any reason to feel inferior to others in human worth. With nothing to prove, to ourselves or others, the result is genuine self-confidence.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

- the golden rule

Yours?

Well, yes. I could properly do that same as with your 2, but I need to add a 3rd one

- the golden rule
- be prepared to accept limitations to the 2 above and thus amend for special cases.

Vee

Premium Member

- the golden rule

Yours?

My values are very similar to yours. I would add a healthy dose of humility. It helps put things into perspective.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".

- the golden rule

Yours?

1) "Love your neighbor as yourself"

Next, how to do that in diverse situations:

2) Matthew 7:12 In everything, then, do to others as you would have them do to you. For this is the essence of the Law and the Prophets.

Ergo, to be a "peace creator" involves treating others better than they treat you at times.