• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are demons and Satan?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What I understand by "based on" is founded on, and the foundation of Christianity is Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:20-22), and what the scripture say, regarding him.
Without the Christian Greek scriptures, Christianity would never have been. At least that seems evident.

Faith on the other hand, is based or founded on the evidence that the scriptures present the truth about Jesus Christ, and God the father.
(Hebrews 11:1)

It is important to note that there is no one way to define most words, so it is important that we be clear on what we mean, when we use term, so that it doesn't become a case of dogmatically asserting that the word we use does not mean what the other person says it means.
So I will highlight the meaning I am using, as opposed to the meaning you may be using.

Evidence - the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

Knowledge - Wikipedia
Knowledge is a familiarity, awareness, or understanding of someone or something, such as facts, information, descriptions, or skills, which is acquired through experience or education by perceiving, discovering, or learning.

Knowledge can refer to a theoretical or practical understanding of a subject. It can be implicit (as with practical skill or expertise) or explicit (as with the theoretical understanding of a subject); it can be more or less formal or systematic.

Faith - Wikipedia
Faith, derived from Latin fides and Old French feid, is confidence or trust in a person, thing, or concept. In the context of religion, one can define faith as confidence or trust in a particular system of religious belief. Religious people often think of faith as confidence based on a perceived degree of warrant [For example, the evidence is consistent with what we know generally*], while others who are more skeptical of religion tend to think of faith as simply belief without evidence.

Perhaps you can add something more to this, about your views.
However, Faith, from a Biblical perspective, is not blind, but based on, or founded on knowledge.
You can read up on the section Christianity in this link Faith - Wikipedia
Then we can discuss it further if you want to.

If your argument, is that we have never seen Christ, or God, therefore we have faith that they are. Yes, but that can be said of many things we don't see. Have you ever seen your mind, or your conscious being, or your feelings? Do you have faith they exist?

Thank you. I'll have to get back to you if you'd like a full discussion. Good info.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

What I understand by "based on" is founded on, and the foundation of Christianity is Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:20-22), and what the scripture say, regarding him.

I got the foundation on Hebrews 11:1 and couple other verses in the gospel about Christianity being based on faith. I read most of Hebrews a good while ago.

Without the Christian Greek scriptures, Christianity would never have been. At least that seems evident. Faith on the other hand, is based or founded on the evidence that the scriptures present the truth about Jesus Christ, and God the father.(Hebrews 11:1)

I would say evidence loosely. When I think of evidence, I think of direct connection with/as facts. I don't know what fact in the bible that correlates to god and the divinity of jesus. Many historical facts were found to "tell biblical" stories/mythology/history etc. That's a given. I can't connect how that leads to supernatural facts and knowledge outside the believers and confirmation of bias and what they already believe.

It is important to note that there is no one way to define most words, so it is important that we be clear on what we mean, when we use term, so that it doesn't become a case of dogmatically asserting that the word we use does not mean what the other person says it means.

So I will highlight the meaning I am using, as opposed tothe meaning you may be using

I dehighlighted and bold it for easy reading.

Evidence - the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid

The thing is, biblical evidence/facts indicates some of the history is true-maybe Paul (so far I know from history of art), Peter more than likely. Not sure about jesus, the person himself.

The supernatural is what people argue about. I wouldn't be surprised the historical stuff in the bible are true but I never really looked into it to connect the dots.

Knowledge - Wikipedia
Knowledge is a familiarity, awareness, or understanding of someone or something, such as facts, information, descriptions, or skills, which is acquired through experience or education by perceiving, discovering, or learning.

I read that christianity isn't based on these things (we don't need facts and skills to know god exists) but on faith. I know knowledge that confirms spiritual experiences let believers see these things as true. That's okay. It's totally different than it being objective evidence for supernatural experiences. That's more subjective.

[Knowledge can refer to a theoretical or practical understanding of a subject. It can be implicit (as with practical skill or expertise) or explicit (as with the theoretical understanding of a subject); it can be more or less formal or systematic.

I think it depends. For example, one lady went overseas in our speech class. She's a christian and walked where jesus was said to live. She pilgrimage to different areas. This proved biblical history etc. That's a given. But the supernatural part-wasnt a foundation of knowledge but of faith. (Her faith accept what she saw is true rather than seeing these things made her have faith)

If it were knowledge, every one would believe in god just by seeing where jesus' lived etc.

Faith - Wikipedia
, derived from Latin fides and Old French feid, is confidence or trust in a person, thing, or concept.

I hear two definitions of it (which is probably the issue)

Faith in this unseen if going by this I'd say trust that something is true even though we don't have direct "knowledge" that it is. Evidence by faith not by sight.

Which, of course, you have to put trust in what you read even though there is no direct knowledge to confirm it "outside" of one's confirmed bias.

In the context of religion, one can define faith as confidence or trust in a particular system of religious belief. Religious people often think of faith as confidence based on a perceived degree of warrant [For example, the evidence is consistent with what we know generally*], while others who are more skeptical of religion tend to think of faith as simply belief without evidence

How does this connect with Hebrews 11:1?

Perhaps you can add something more to this, about your views.
However, Faith, from a Biblical perspective, is not blind, but based on, or founded on knowledge

You can read up on the section Christianity in this link Faith - Wikipedia

I'll re-comment once I read it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I got the foundation on Hebrews 11:1 and couple other verses in the gospel about Christianity being based on faith. I read most of Hebrews a good while ago.
I think I understand what you mean by Christianity based on faith, but I don't see things that way, and never read anything in the Bible about Christianity being based on faith. Perhaps you can share one of those scriptures you read.
If you are referring to Christianity as is seen today, then it is easy for me to understand why you see things the way you do, because if you ask some who profess to be Christian, why they are such, some would tell you, they just believe, or they have faith, but they cannot explain why.
That's not the faith mentioned in the Bible.

For example, when Jesus asked his disciples whom they believed him to be, they said, "You are the Messiah, the son of the living God."
Was it because they just had faith, or just believed?
Peter said on another occasion, "We have believed and have come to know that you are the Holy One of God.” (John 6:68, 69)
To come to know something, involves what? Learning based on acquired facts.

They did not have to see God create Jesus, in order to come to that knowledge, but based on the things they saw... they had faith in that reality, though not seen, based on the evidence for it.
Do you understand that?

I would say evidence loosely. When I think of evidence, I think of direct connection with/as facts. I don't know what fact in the bible that correlates to god and the divinity of jesus. Many historical facts were found to "tell biblical" stories/mythology/history etc. That's a given. I can't connect how that leads to supernatural facts and knowledge outside the believers and confirmation of bias and what they already believe.
Can you give me an example of a historical fact you accept, so I can better understand you.
Also it would help if you could explain why you accept it.

I dehighlighted and bold it for easy reading.
Sorry about that. People are really different . I find highlighted text easier to read.

The thing is, biblical evidence/facts indicates some of the history is true-maybe Paul (so far I know from history of art), Peter more than likely. Not sure about jesus, the person himself.
Okay, fine. So can you give me a historical account from Paul, that you accept, and explain why you accept it.

The supernatural is what people argue about. I wouldn't be surprised the historical stuff in the bible are true but I never really looked into it to connect the dots.
Thanks for being honest about that. The Bible did say that people don't make an investigation. Psalm 10:4

I read that christianity isn't based on these things (we don't need facts and skills to know god exists) but on faith. I know knowledge that confirms spiritual experiences let believers see these things as true. That's okay. It's totally different than it being objective evidence for supernatural experiences. That's more subjective.
What is your source?

I think it depends. For example, one lady went overseas in our speech class. She's a christian and walked where jesus was said to live. She pilgrimage to different areas. This proved biblical history etc. That's a given. But the supernatural part-wasnt a foundation of knowledge but of faith. (Her faith accept what she saw is true rather than seeing these things made her have faith)

If it were knowledge, every one would believe in god just by seeing where jesus' lived etc.
I'm not seeing the connection.
What does walking in a land have to do with investigating the supernatural? I don't get it.

I hear two definitions of it (which is probably the issue)

Faith in this unseen if going by this I'd say trust that something is true even though we don't have direct "knowledge" that it is. Evidence by faith not by sight.
By saying "we don't have direct "knowledge" that it is", do you mean, like say, a person who never saw a vehicle's engine, don't have direct knowledge of it, until he lifts the hood, and someone explains how it works?
Evidence by faith not by sight?
Can you explain that, please? It's not making sense to me.

Which, of course, you have to put trust in what you read even though there is no direct knowledge to confirm it "outside" of one's confirmed bias.
You mean like read, and say, "I believe" with no basis for why one believes. Who does that?
Can you provide the evidence that demonstrates that to be true.

How does this connect with Hebrews 11:1?
Oh. Reading the article would help.
Please take your time to read it, since it explains the Biblical faith, in a very simple, and straightforward way.

Christianity encompasses various views regarding the nature of faith. Some see faith as being persuaded or convinced that something is true. In this view, a person believes something when they are presented with adequate evidence that it is true. The theologian Saint Thomas Aquinas did not hold that faith is mere opinion: on the contrary, he held that it represents a mean (understood in the Platonic sense) between excessive reliance on science (i.e. demonstration) and excessive reliance on opinion.

“The naive or inexperienced person[is easily misled and believes every word he hears, but the prudent man is discreet and astute.” (Proverbs 14:15, Amplified Bible) The Christian apostle Paul wrote: "Test everything that is said to be sure it is true, and if it is, then accept it." (1 Thessalonians 5:21, Living Bible)

Christian apologetic views
In contrast to Richard Dawkins' view of faith as "blind trust, in the absence of evidence, even in the teeth of evidence", Alister McGrath quotes the Oxford Anglican theologian W. H. Griffith-Thomas (1861–1924), who states that faith is "not blind, but intelligent" and that it "commences with the conviction of the mind based on adequate evidence...", which McGrath sees as "a good and reliable definition, synthesizing the core elements of the characteristic Christian understanding of faith".

American biblical scholar Archibald Thomas Robertson stated that the Greek word pistis used for faith in the New Testament (over two hundred forty times), and rendered "assurance" in Acts 17:31 (KJV), is "an old verb meaning "to furnish", used regularly by Demosthenes for bringing forward evidence." Tom Price (Oxford Centre for Christian Apologetics) affirms that when the New Testament talks about faith positively it only uses words derived from the Greek root [pistis] which means "to be persuaded".

British Christian apologist John Lennox argues that "faith conceived as belief that lacks warrant is very different from faith conceived as belief that has warrant". He states that "the use of the adjective 'blind' to describe 'faith' indicates that faith is not necessarily, or always, or indeed normally, blind". "The validity, or warrant, of faith or belief depends on the strength of the evidence on which the belief is based." "We all know how to distinguish between blind faith and evidence-based faith. We are well aware that faith is only justified if there is evidence to back it up." "Evidence-based faith is the normal concept on which we base our everyday lives."

Peter S Williams[56] holds that "the classic Christian tradition has always valued rationality, and does not hold that faith involves the complete abandonment of reason while believing in the teeth of evidence."[page needed] Quoting Moreland, faith is defined as "a trust in and commitment to what we have reason to believe is true."

Regarding doubting Thomas in John 20:24-31, Williams points out that "Thomas wasn't asked to believe without evidence". He was asked to believe on the basis of the other disciples' testimony. Thomas initially lacked the first-hand experience of the evidence that had convinced them... Moreover, the reason John gives for recounting these events is that what he saw is evidence... Jesus did many other miraculous signs in the presence of his disciples...But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the son of God, and that believing ye might have life in his name. John 20:30,31.

I'll re-comment once I read it.
No problem.
I quoted the important parts above, if that helps.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Physical energy?

Soul, spirit, essence are foreign words. When I think of soul, I think mind and the seat of our emotions.

When I think spirit I think like the sun, it is our energy. What keeps our body pumping. Another perspective is it's the breathe and passion. The experience of our actions.

Essence?
Yes.. definitions vary from place to place but meaning may be the same. In my definitions, Soul is the mind will and emotions. Spirit is that which makes our soul eternal and certainly God's Spirit is what gives us life. But I wouldn't say our spirit is the experience of our actions.