• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are demons and Satan?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What is a demon and Satan in Christianity and even (I'm serious) other abrahamic beliefs?

Is it a ghost?
Symbolism?
Deity (what is that?)
A force?
Emotion?

I'm familiar what it does
I'm familiar how it acts
I'm familiar with it's suppose.

What. Is it?

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
In Judaism, Satan (pronounced "Sah-tahn") is an angel much like any other angel of God. Each angel has a duty or set of duties they must carry out. Satan got the stuff that nobody likes, but like every angel - he does his job well. In this sense, he's more of a driving force - but as an extension of God's will.

Judaic equivalent of demons are called "Shedim", singular "Shed". These are otherworldly beings that like angels fulfill certain tasks in reality. Rabbi Moshe Luzzatto describes them as kind of like reverse-humans: while humans are half physical and half spiritual, demons are not exactly spiritual and not exactly physical. For a more specific definition, perhaps "Beings", though I'm not sure that's really the best word.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What. Is it?

Satan, in the narrative I was taught early in life during my days as a Catholic, is an angel named Lucifer that rebelled against God and was cast down to Hell. Demons are lesser fallen angels under his rule.

What is a demon and Satan in Christianity and even (I'm serious) other abrahamic beliefs?

I believe they are spirits. And spirit is like for example team spirit. In Bible God is spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

If the Spirit of God is in you, it will come visible in your actions that show love (caring). I think God is good spirit. Satan or demons are evil spirits. And I think they are for example greed and fear, which, if they rule, lead to many bad things.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The devil is hatred.

3ml5ts.jpg

MonkeyFire

Satan, in the narrative I was taught early in life during my days as a Catholic, is an angel named Lucifer that rebelled against God and was cast down to Hell. Demons are lesser fallen angels under his rule.

I believe Lucifer must be redeemed with mankind. He is the fallen angel of knowledge, and morality. However, he and satan exist at the same time and are not the same being. Satan being hate.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I know some people talk about it as if it exist real time, though. I find that interesting

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I believe they are spirits. And spirit is like for example team spirit. In Bible God is spirit and love.

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

If the Spirit of God is in you, it will come visible in your actions that show love (caring). I think God is good spirit. Satan or demons are evil spirits. And I think they are for example greed and fear, which, if they rule, lead to many bad things.

What are spirits?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The devil is hatred.

They seem more like scapegoats to me, God in his own words:

"Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

I have seen other translations of it but at base the message is the same, God admits he is responsible for all of it.

Abraxas-4.jpg

MonkeyFire

They seem more like scapegoats to me, God in his own words:

"Isaiah 45:7 King James Version (KJV)

7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things."

I have seen other translations of it but at base the message is the same, God admits he is responsible for all of it.

Abraxas-4.jpg

As the angel of light is darkness (to some).

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I know some people talk about it as if it exist real time, though. I find that interesting

Perhaps not in the context you are referring to above, but:

Inner Demons are a common metaphor for personal faults that are denied to exist as an unhealthy defense mechanism. ( link )

Using this definition, demons are real.

leov

Is it a ghost?
Symbolism?
Deity (what is that?)
A force?
Emotion?

I'm familiar how it acts

What. Is it?
it is a state of mind , there are evil entities and many could be labeled as 'Satan', but really it is state of human mind...imo.

shmogie

Is it a ghost?
Symbolism?
Deity (what is that?)
A force?
Emotion?

I'm familiar how it acts

What. Is it?
It is not an it, it is a he. He is a created being who once inhabited where God abides. He is a most powerful being, with abilities humans were never given.

The Bible says that this exalted spirit being revolted against God, and he and his followers were hurled from heaven. They are continuing their revolt by corrupting humanity, a creation of God, that He loves.

He and his will be eliminated, for ever.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It is not an it, it is a he. He is a created being who once inhabited where God abides. He is a most powerful being, with abilities humans were never given.

The Bible says that this exalted spirit being revolted against God, and he and his followers were hurled from heaven. They are continuing their revolt by corrupting humanity, a creation of God, that He loves.

He and his will be eliminated, for ever.

What is he, though?

I'm not familiar with spirits and beings so what you're saying is foreign.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Is it a ghost?
Symbolism?
Deity (what is that?)
A force?
Emotion?

I'm familiar how it acts

What. Is it?

Satan is a fallen angel.

The Bible doesn't express where demons came from or what their purpose was before the fall of Satan, however, they are spirits that have different ranks of authority that influence people and attempt to possess people.

shmogie

What is he, though?

I'm not familiar with spirits and beings so what you're saying is foreign.
He was once a high ranking angel, an archangel.

So called spirit beings simply are live beings whose body is not composed of flesh, their composition and what sustains life in these beings is unknown to us.