• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are Baha’is doing offline the most, with other people, everywhere in the world?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
What do you think that Baha’is are doing offline the most, with other people, everywhere in the world?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Looking for a device with internet access so they can post snips from the Baha'i Reference Library on RF? :D

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Looking for a device with internet access so they can post snips from the Baha'i Reference Library on RF? :D
If we could give more than one rating, I would have rated that as funny, creative and a winner.

But not, informative.

The grin looks friendly to me. Useful, because it bumped my thread. Optimistic? Maybe. Did it feel optimistic to you?

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
What do you think that Baha’is are doing offline the most, with other people, everywhere in the world?

I'm sorry @Jim but this question reminds me of a brochure the Jehovah's Witnesses once gave me: "Jehovah's Witnesses, your friendly people from the neighborhood". In fact, they live a life with many religious restrictions (which I do not wish to debate here) but you wouldn't have guessed that from the nicely-made brochure and its friendly-written content.

Again, don't take it personal. :wink:

Reactions: Jim

Jedster

I would suppose just living their lives.

The Bahais I knew/know in Israel were all doing service at the Haifa centre. This didn't stop them having normal friendships.
I also met a few who where there on holiday. ( I didn't grass them up to the ruling body :) )
In the 1980s I lived near the main Bahai centre in London and had quite a few friends amongst them

Presently I live in Somerset where there are 3 real Bahais I know of. One is writing an autobiography; the others are just regular town folks who mingle with everyone.
I should add that IRL, I have never had a Bahai try to convert me.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Do any Baha’is have an answer to this? What are Baha’is doing the most offline, with other people, everywhere in the world?

arthra

Baha'i

The Baha'i International Community has a summary of Social Development Projects:

"Most social and economic developing activities sponsored by the Baha’i communities until now have been in the area of education. Literacy programs and primary schools are now functioning, or in an advanced planning stage, in some 50 developing countries, primarily in rural areas where no schooling was previously available. Secondary schools with strong vocational orientation have also been established in several countries, and more schools are planned. Other activities are in the areas of health care, social services, community development, agriculture and communications. The latter type of projects are at present primarily radio stations in some countries, broadcasting cultural programs with practical advice and training related to literacy, primary health care, nutrition, agriculture and other components of rural development.

"Although most of the projects are financed entirely from Baha’i sources, for some larger projects co-financing from bilaterial government development agencies has been obtained. A large number of projects have recently been identified and planned by local and national Baha’i communities on the basis of financial and other commitments from the communities themselves, which support, in some cases, from Baha’i communities in industrialized countries. It is also expected that financial and other collaboration with external donor and technical agencies will increases."

Social and Economic Development: The Baha’i Contribution

Some stats found on Wikipedia:

In April 2018, the Bahá'í Office of Social and Economic Development released the following conservative estimates, based on provided by national Bahá’í institutions.[4]

Bahá'í Development Activities Worldwide 2006 2011 2017
Activities of fixed duration >7,000 >18,000 >40,000
Sustained projects >650 >1,100 >1,400
Bahá'í inspired organizations 83 118 135

Socioeconomic development and the Bahá'í Faith - Wikipedia

Also see:

https://www.bahai.org/documents/osed/betterment-world.pdf?a28125bc

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Does anyone have any other ideas about what Baha’is are doing offline the most, with other people, everywhere in the world? I’ll also ask, what are Baha’i communities doing offline the most, with other people, everywhere in the world? I think that the answer to both questions is the same, but I’m not sure. The second question is the one I really meant to ask. Next week I’ll give a hint, if I don’t forget about this thread again.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Come on, it would only take half an hour or less out of debating about the Baha’i Faith, to find out what Baha’is are doing offline the most, with other people, everywhere in the world. I’ll give a hint: It’s what the House of Justice has been talking about the most in its messages to Bahai’is, for more than 15 years.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

Although I spend half a year in New Zealand and the rest between England france and sometimes Spain I've never actually met one so have no idea,that's isn't good or bad though.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Although I spend half a year in New Zealand and the rest between England france and sometimes Spain I've never actually met one so have no idea,that's isn't good or bad though.
I’m thinking of people who debate endlessly about the Baha’i Faith, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, as if they know something about it. It baffles me that none them know, or seem to care, what Baha’is are doing most of all with other people, and what their supreme world could has been talking to them about most of all for more than 15 years. It would only take a few minutes out of the hours and hours they spend debating about the Baha’i Faith, to actually learn what it’s all about.

Oh. Right. If they ever learn what it’s actually all about, it might spoil their RPG.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I’m thinking of people who debate endlessly about the Baha’i Faith, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, as if they know something about it. It baffles me that none them know, or seem to care, what Baha’is are doing most of all with other people, and what their supreme world could has been talking to them about most of all for more than 15 years. It would only take a few minutes out of the hours and hours they spend debating about the Baha’i Faith, to actually learn what it’s all about.

Oh. Right. If they ever learn what it’s actually all about, it might spoil their RPG.

Maybe Jim,I know some about it,seems a pretty harmless religion that reminds me of how some use Islam for building communities,what baffles me is the fact that like ahmadis who also Revere the Quran is that your regarded as much kuffar as me.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
If anyone has any curiosity about reality in the offline world around them, try looking for clues on the websites of five local spiritual assemblies, and in the Ridvan letter of the Baha’i Universal House of Justice for any one of the past 15 years.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Here’s a hint for Baha’is, about what I’m thinking that Baha’i communities are doing most of all, with other people, everywhere in the world, and what the House of Justice has been promoting most of all in its messages to Baha’is for more than 15 years. It’s some specific activities at the heart of our community life, considered in a certain context. The words “activities” and “at the heart” should be a big clue, especially considering that the French word for “heart” is “coeur.” The context is also important. It isn’t enough to just list the activities.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hopefully what most people do in the world. Eat , sleep, go to work, play and have fun...

Jim

Nets of Wonder

Hopefully what most people do in the world. Eat , sleep, go to work, play and have fun...
:p Smart aleck. Now how do I answer that? (scratches head) ... Oh, right. Besides those, what I’m thinking of are some specific, named activities at the heart of the community life of a growing number of Baha’i communities everywhere in the world, which the House of Justice has been promoting in its messages to Baha’is for more than 15 years.[/QUOTE]

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Another hint: What I’m thinking of is outlined in the new Ridvan message, but the specific activities are not all named there. You might need to search on the websites of a few local Baha’i communities for the details.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Does “framework for action” mean anything to any Baha’is here? “Core activities”? “Community building”?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Time is running out, less than 24 hours, for people to try to guess what I'm going to say before I say it. What are the specific activities that the House of Justice has been promoting for Baha'i communities for more than 20 years, and which are actually happening in a growing number of communities everywhere in the world?