• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What an incredibly odd thing to say. But then again, he's the Pope.

Heyo

Veteran Member
It appears that it is the conservative U.S. Catholics that are attacking him according to the article. Nothing about "pedos". And I do wish people would find a different word to use. I keep reading that by its Spanish meaning.
I also wish people would stop using it because it's wrong. What they mean is a rapist or child molester. A paedophile is simply someone who loves children or is sexually attracted to them. That is like any other sexual orientation or kink. It only becomes immoral and criminal when they act on the attraction - which makes them rapists.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” ― Oscar Wilde

“I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made.” ― Franklin D. Roosevelt

“Your Worst Enemy Could Be Your Best Friend && Your Best Friend Your Worst Enemy” ― Bob Marley

“If you have enemies, good that means you stood up for something.” ― Eminem

And from the Christian perspective

“Jesus Christ lived in the midst of his enemies. At the end all his disciples deserted him. On the Cross he was utterly alone, surrounded by evildoers and mockers. For this cause he had come, to bring peace to the enemies of God. So the Christian, too, belongs not in the seclusion of a cloistered life but in the thick of foes. There is his commission, his work. 'The kingdom is to be in the midst of your enemies. And he who will not suffer this does not want to be of the Kingdom of Christ; he wants to be among friends, to sit among roses and lilies, not with the bad people but the devout people. O you blasphemers and betrayers of Christ! If Christ had done what you are doing who would ever have been spared' (Luther).”
― Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together: The Classic Exploration of Christian Community

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I skimmed it previously, but guess I didn't really understand.
You're not alone. Most people would think covering for the pedo priests would be regarded by the pope as being an attack on the Catholic Church.

Of course Mccarrick was mentioned shows the pedo issue isnt completely off the beaten track when it comes to the criticism from conservatives on the failing of Catholic Church to address pedophile priests.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Maybe you'll understand if you hear the exact same idea expressed by a conservative:

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill
I suppose so.

I would tend to think it also depends upon the type of company you keep as much as the opposition that you encounter.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I interpret the article as reading that the Pope is saying: "It's an honor to have Protestant Christian Fundamentalists attack me."
The article made it sound like he was talking about conservative factions within his own bishops.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
The article made it sound like he was talking about conservative factions within his own bishops.

Well when I first read the article, I must have REALLY skimmed, because the article just seemed shorter the first time I read it, like it was less paragraphs and more was edited in later.

Either that, or I made a grade school mistake.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I suppose so.

I would tend to think it also depends upon the type of company you keep as much as the opposition that you encounter.
And in the Christian tradition, many people try to follow Jesus's example from the Gospels by keeping company with the poor, the hungry, the downtrodden, the vulnerable, and the outcast. It seems like this is where Francis's position on several issues is coming from.

Right now in the US, who is more poor, hungry, downtrodden, vulnerable, and outcast than a prisoner in an ICE concentration camp? Worldwide, who is more vulnerable and literally outcast than a refugee from climate change-driven war or someone whose islans home is about to disappear by sea level rise?

I think that Francis has a long way to go; he's still the head of a church that owns its own bank and has a seat at the UN, so it still rubs shoulders with the rich and powerful a lot. Still, I see what Francis is doing as a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Well when I first read the article, I must have REALLY skimmed, because the article just seemed shorter the first time I read it, like it was less paragraphs and more was edited in later.

Either that, or I made a grade school mistake.
There's a "read more" button that - at least for me - kinda blended in with the ads.

Twilight Hue

I rather had my Master bite me than ignore me

Maybe Pope sees America as His Master
If Catholic radio is any type of indicator ...ya know? ;O]
The Pope is one of a huge number of people who are sick and tired of the growing brutality and shamelessness of the inhuman ways of the American right wing.

There is hardly any mystery there.

"Growing brutality and shamelessness of the inhuman ways"...?

Seems uncharacteristically hyperbolized on your part.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
"Growing brutality and shamelessness of the inhuman ways"...?

Seems uncharacteristically hyperbolized on your part.
Seems to me "just what it is". At least in Holland this seems quite an accurate description. Not too much.