• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What am I?

Hi there,

I have spent a long time trying to find a way to classify myself and my beliefs. Not so much because I believe that a classification is all that important, but I'd like to be able to get some idea as to where I lie on the spectrum, so that I may be able to find some like-minded people to discuss my views with.

My family is Catholic, but we were not really raised with any strong religious beliefs, and I was never baptized as a kid. My brothers and I were to go the church services at a non denominational church for a while, but I think it was mostly to give us something to do, and for our Dad to be able to get us out of the house a bit.

When I got older (19-20 years old) I started going to Catholic Church services with friends, and I eventually went through RCIA and was baptized. This was not so much because I believed in all of the views of the Catholic Church, but I did this because the idea of "original sin" scared me, and I did not want to be condemned to hell despite being a good person because I was never baptized.

After my baptism, I never went back to church, save for weddings and funerals. I have never even picked up my baptismal certificate, and do not really feel a strong need to.

I still considered myself a Christian through all of this, but I have to admit I had been doing so rather blindly. I never really stopped to and thought about what I truly believed, I just accepted the idea of God, and that Jesus was the son of God and died for our sins, etc...

For a time I was trying to find a Christian denomination in which I'd fit, but was never really able to do say. Eventually I got the point where I still considered myself a Christian, but would be willing to admit that I did not know. I believed in Christianity, but found it easily possible that I was wrong, and that we should all be worshiping Zeus, or Ra, or Odin (etc...etc...etc...).

I eventually I backed away from Christianity a bit, and came to believe that all religions really did worship the same Ultimate Being/God...but that everyone had a different interpretation of what that God is.

My current beliefs still fall somewhat into those lines. I do believe there is something out there. I believe humanity is capable of too many incredible things, and that the universe itself we live in is too incredible for there not to be something greater out there behind it, or for there not to be more to it than our rather short lifespans.

I think were I get hung up is on the fact that "I don't know." I think I could maybe be called an Agnostic Theist now, from what I gather about their belief (there is a supreme being, but it is unknown or can't be known). My potential problem with Agnostic Theism is that just because I don't know, I don't want to subscribe to the belief that it can NOT be known.

I think that to believe someone knows God is largely a misguided, cocky belief, but that doesn't mean there wasn't or isn't someone out there who does know what God is. Agnostic Theism seems to dismiss that idea completely, which seems a little close minded to me.

I don't think if there is such as a thing as a more open minded Agnostic Theism, if I'm over thinking things, or if my own indecisiveness is going to be my own undoing, but it's a large world, and I know there has to be someone out there who thinks like I do. Spiritually speaking, I feel pretty alone, and it kind of sucks.

I apologize in advance for the long post, and for kind of jumping around all over the place. I also apologize if I come off as naive or misinformed when it comes to certain beliefs. I don't mean to offend anyone, I just want to find out where I stand, and if there is anyone who could maybe help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Renji

Not sure to be honest. But if you have questions about Catholicism, just drop by on the Catholic DIR. Goodluck on the soul searching though. :)

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
have you heard pantheism and panentheism? You might like those. Either that or perhaps a religion like taoism

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Have you had a go at the Belief-O-Matic quiz?

Even if if doesn't help you, we'll all be able to put you in a pigeon-hole :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's kind of neat that the Belief-O-Matic was brought up so many times :p

I found another thread talking about the quiz last night (after I posted the original post) and took, and apparently I'm 100% Unitarian Universalist.

That does make a lot of sense. I ended up looking into their beliefs after the quiz and I do find myself agreeing with the Seven Principles and the Six Sources.

The only thing that kind of bothers me with the quiz (not the religion itself) is that that answer seems to be like a catch all...like if you don't necessarily subscribe to a religion, you're lumped into Unitarian Universalism.

Then again, maybe that's the point? One of things I read said "You should not be a Unitarian Universalist if you want all the answers because we don't even know all the questions." I will admit, I do want answers, but maybe I should accept the fact that I am seeking them as part of God's plan?

It all comes back to "I don't know." But maybe that's not a bad thing? It's all pretty frickin' heavy regardless. :shrug:

As far as my beliefs...I believe that religion itself came into being because people fear the unknown, and wanted a way to be able to answer for the things that were (and in many cases, still are) beyond our understanding.

I believe that science has come to be able to explain a lot of these things, but even then, I believe that there are still many things that are wonderous and awe inspiring about our universe to be able to explained rationally.

I dont have any idea how we were created. I don't believe God created two humans named Adam and Eve, but I think it's possible that God could have simply created two single celled organisms, and let things go from there. It's also entirely possible that God merely created the big bang, and let everything fall into place on its own.

I believe in the soul, and that all living beings throughout the universe (yes, I believe in extraterrestrial life) have one. I believe that the soul will transcend this life, and will always exist in some form or another. I like the idea of reincarnation, but I believe to be reincarnated would be the choice of the soul itself, and that you are not necessarily destined to repeat the life cycle over and over.

I believe in total equality among humanity, regardless of sex, race, nationality, religious beliefs, gender, orientation, etc... I don't believe you are any better because they were born in white, upper class American household, than you are if you'd be born in the most remote reaches of Africa. People are people, regardless, and our diversity should be celebrated, because it opens to the door to new ideas, and other amazing things. I also don't believe one is superior because they believe themselves to a subscribe to a religious belief in which they "know God." On the flipside, I don't consider myself superior because I'm willing to admit that I don't know. As I said in the first post, for all we know the Eqyptians, or the Greeks (etc...) had it right with their interpretation of God(s). I don't believe God's existence would be that clear cut, but again, I don't know.

I believe extremism is dangerous in any form, religious or otherwise. I don't believe that world will ever know peace so long as some people are too headstrong and close-minded to accept the fact that there are some things beyond their understanding, or that may contradict their own beliefs.

I don't believe attending services or ceremonies should be vital to a belief, as beliefs are deeply personal. We don't live in our own personal vacuums though, so I believe services and/or ceremonies could be beneficial, because it will remind us that we are not alone.

I believe that I should probably be a vegetarian, because killing an animal is still killing a living, feeling creature. I really suck at this one in practice though. :/

And...I'm sure that only really scratches the surface, but this post is long enough as it is. Thanks guys for listening, and sharing any insight you may have. :)

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Hinduism, Sikhism, Tenrikyo, Taoism are the ones I'd suggest for you to study. Sikhism would definitely be worth a look at; it's a religion not many people know about, even though it's one of the most visible religions in the West.

May also be worth looking at Deism, possibly.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
It all comes back to "I don't know." But maybe that's not a bad thing? It's all pretty frickin' heavy regardless. :shrug:
It's the best thing, imo. You take the blinders of dogma off that way. It's easier to see clearly that way.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
Hinduism, Sikhism, Tenrikyo, Taoism are the ones I'd suggest for you to study. Sikhism would definitely be worth a look at; it's a religion not many people know about, even though it's one of the most visible religions in the West.

I said taoism :D. *high five*

May also be worth looking at Deism, possibly.

Deism might be worth it. Not sure deism has too many beliefs so it might suit Steve better.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
The quiz just provides food for thought I think, it does seem keen on UU!

'Don't know' - ah yes, honest agnosticism. Not wishy washy, can't decide, lacking commitment. Just honesty in the face of the universe.

The more I know, the more I realise how ignorant I am.

The more I know, the more I realise how ignorant I am.

That's kind of the way I look at it. Even if you had answers to all the questions you have at any given moment, more questions are bound to come up along the way.

Some people may consider it annoying, because in the end you still don't know much, but I think it's incredible that we are even capable of asking so many questions in the first place.

Awoon

Hi there,

I have spent a long time trying to find a way to classify myself and my beliefs. Not so much because I believe that a classification is all that important, but I'd like to be able to get some idea as to where I lie on the spectrum, so that I may be able to find some like-minded people to discuss my views with.

My family is Catholic, but we were not really raised with any strong religious beliefs, and I was never baptized as a kid. My brothers and I were to go the church services at a non denominational church for a while, but I think it was mostly to give us something to do, and for our Dad to be able to get us out of the house a bit.

When I got older (19-20 years old) I started going to Catholic Church services with friends, and I eventually went through RCIA and was baptized. This was not so much because I believed in all of the views of the Catholic Church, but I did this because the idea of "original sin" scared me, and I did not want to be condemned to hell despite being a good person because I was never baptized.

After my baptism, I never went back to church, save for weddings and funerals. I have never even picked up my baptismal certificate, and do not really feel a strong need to.

I still considered myself a Christian through all of this, but I have to admit I had been doing so rather blindly. I never really stopped to and thought about what I truly believed, I just accepted the idea of God, and that Jesus was the son of God and died for our sins, etc...

For a time I was trying to find a Christian denomination in which I'd fit, but was never really able to do say. Eventually I got the point where I still considered myself a Christian, but would be willing to admit that I did not know. I believed in Christianity, but found it easily possible that I was wrong, and that we should all be worshiping Zeus, or Ra, or Odin (etc...etc...etc...).

I eventually I backed away from Christianity a bit, and came to believe that all religions really did worship the same Ultimate Being/God...but that everyone had a different interpretation of what that God is.

My current beliefs still fall somewhat into those lines. I do believe there is something out there. I believe humanity is capable of too many incredible things, and that the universe itself we live in is too incredible for there not to be something greater out there behind it, or for there not to be more to it than our rather short lifespans.

I think were I get hung up is on the fact that "I don't know." I think I could maybe be called an Agnostic Theist now, from what I gather about their belief (there is a supreme being, but it is unknown or can't be known). My potential problem with Agnostic Theism is that just because I don't know, I don't want to subscribe to the belief that it can NOT be known.

I think that to believe someone knows God is largely a misguided, cocky belief, but that doesn't mean there wasn't or isn't someone out there who does know what God is. Agnostic Theism seems to dismiss that idea completely, which seems a little close minded to me.

I don't think if there is such as a thing as a more open minded Agnostic Theism, if I'm over thinking things, or if my own indecisiveness is going to be my own undoing, but it's a large world, and I know there has to be someone out there who thinks like I do. Spiritually speaking, I feel pretty alone, and it kind of sucks.

I apologize in advance for the long post, and for kind of jumping around all over the place. I also apologize if I come off as naive or misinformed when it comes to certain beliefs. I don't mean to offend anyone, I just want to find out where I stand, and if there is anyone who could maybe help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

You are a living process of the now-ever.

mehr

i think if you answer 2 fundamental questions you'll see the light of truth:
1)are you created by someone called God?
2)is there a life after death?(completely related to the first question)
i promise it works!!!