• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What am I going to get for Christmas????

Bird123

Well, I remember one December 25th when an elderly neighbor asked me to stop over. When I got there I found a living room filled with elderly folks. My neighbor then said, "We understand you don't celebrate our Christmas. Whose Christmas do you celebrate?"

I looked at her and said, "I'm a Jew. We don't celebrate any Christmas." She looked at me, said, "Oh" and then ushered me out the door.

That's the Christmas I remember best.

If I had been one of the people at the party, you would never have been ushered out. We all would have just celebrated good people sharing who we are.

Bird123

For a few years, after the Christmas break. back when I taught, I used to have a classroom discussion on 'What did I GIVE for Christmas.' just to add some perspective.

That would be an interesting discussion. You would discover who your students really were.

Bird123

I was the only Jehovah's Witness in my family and all my extended family. I would go along to be with my family when they did Christmas. I didn't give or receive any gifts.
One day at my mom's Christmas Eve celebration while I was standing off and observing and I shall confess enjoying the scene, I saw my mom struggling to open a present. It seems that I alone noticed her. I opened it for her. That is my favorite Christmas memory.

Someone on Facebook shared an admirable Chrismas reflection. I can't share it as it is shown on Facebook, but this is what it says.:

I don't want much for Chrismas. I just want the person who is reading this to be healthy, happy, and loved.

That is what I think the Spirit of Christ is.

Perhaps the titles of our celebrations are the excuse to get together. You are right. What matters most is the sharing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't understand why people choose ham when they could have chicken or beef. Ham is comparatively less good. Consider what restaurants use in hamburgers. If you order a hamburger they don't even use ham for that, because ham is not as tasty. It doesn't accept the flavors of other things. Nobody would want an actual ham burger. Ham overpowers the flavor of whatever it goes into. No doubt if you eat you you taste like it.

Also, Amazon isn't located in the Amazon. I have obtained this information from a reliable source, someone who works directly with Santa's elves in their dreidel processing division. He's a temp.

Essentially bacon is ham... What beef (except perhaps a rare ribeye steak) can compare?

Bird123

I don't have many fond memories of Christmas. When I was a kid, it meant social anxiety and avoiding my dad's temper until it was over. Now I just try to wait it out and not think about it much until January comes. I don't really care for presents that much.

My boyfriend's family has been inviting me to their massive Christmas celebrations for the last couple years, and I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm still not comfortable with it. I play along for their benefit though, since they're nice people.

Sorry for the sob story. I get this way this time of year. The Jesst will return when the Christmas lights come down.

It doesn't matter what everyone else chooses to do. It's what you choose to do that counts. Will you allow pain from the past to define who you are? Perhaps, it's time you taught everyone how Christmas and Celebrating should really be. Is the pain you hold onto really more valuable than your joy and the joy you can bring others?

I think most people have had hurt in their past. We should never allow that hurt to define who we really want to be. I think you are a very Special Person. If you choose, you have the Great Ability to lead others beyond the pain they are holding onto. Lead the way!!! Teach those around you how it should really be!!!

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If I had been one of the people at the party, you would never have been ushered out. We all would have just celebrated good people sharing who we are.

In Grade 6, about half have entered 'formal thought' stage of Piaget. The other half have no clue what you're talking about, but at least they get a sense of what is to come. It was always fun.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Please, write what you really mean. Thank you.

I skip it. I figured it really has nothing to do with Jesus. The gift giving is mostly hypocritical, not really giving to the poor and needy. I do enjoy NOT putting tinsel on the tree, And got a chuckle out of the nasty comment some woman made when I stopped putting up outdoor lights.

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
It doesn't matter what everyone else chooses to do. It's what you choose to do that counts. Will you allow pain from the past to define who you are? Perhaps, it's time you taught everyone how Christmas and Celebrating should really be. Is the pain you hold onto really more valuable than your joy and the joy you can bring others?

I think most people have had hurt in their past. We should never allow that hurt to define who we really want to be. I think you are a very Special Person. If you choose, you have the Great Ability to lead others beyond the pain they are holding onto. Lead the way!!! Teach those around you how it should really be!!!
I choose to do my own thing. Not every holiday is for me.

Bah humbug.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
What am I going to get for Christmas seems to be the question many ask. Will it be a new computer, the latest tech gadget, a 1000 dollar iphone, or maybe a new car?

Christmas is also the time people take measure of their lives. Many measure their worth by the physical things they receive or the physical possessions they have acquired in life. Since we are all Spiritual beings in our true natures, how can one measure how one defines themselves by money or a few physical items? As I see it, you can't.

Is life really about physical possessions, what people have given us, or even having it made and being rich? Isn't life about sharing and expressing that which is Special about ourselves with the world? Should we not measure our lives by how we touch others rather than how others touch us?

Some might say that if we receive no physical gifts from others that we have not touched anyone. This might not be true. The mistake here might be Focus. Should the focus on life be Me! Me! Me?
How can one express that which is Special about themselves if it's all about Me! Me! Me? As I see it, you can't.

I have seen selfish people claw claw claw trying to get get get. Further, most of the time it's about acquiring more money or possessions. They can hurt many people on their path to get. I have discovered those who give give give will usually get much more than those clawing to get.

I have seen enough Christmases so what physical thing could you get me? I have seen or gotten it all so what do those physical gifts really mean? What gifts are remembered the most? Does anyone even remember the physical gifts at all?

Since we are Spiritual beings in our true natures, won't the Spiritual gifts matter and hang with us the most? Let me tell you of a Spiritual gift I received. Years and years ago, a little girl was very young and very excited about Christmas. When she opened a gift, she would cry out:“Oh, it's just what I've always wanted!” After opening the next gift, she would cry out: “Oh, it's just what I've always wanted!” Seems after opening every gift, she would cry out: “Oh, it's just what I've always wanted!” Now, every gift couldn't be just what she always wanted, however you might just be surprised how much joy that little girl generated and never realized it. Since we are all empathic, she touched everyone Spiritually in the room. Everyone could feel the joy of: “Oh, it's just what I've always wanted!” This is a Gift I received for Christmas I will never forget and it cost the little girl nothing. Is it beyond us all to give Spiritual Gifts to others as well? I don't think so.

As I see it, that's what we should make Christmas about. We can touch the lives of people around us Spiritually if we do not make it about us. Unconditional Love always does what is best for the other. Really look at those around you. What do they need to grow Spiritually? Share that which is Special about you with them. Nourish the Love and Joy you are capable of generating in them. If you do, I'm willing to bet what you receive in the end is a real life filled with joy and things you will never forget.

It doesn't matter what everyone else does. It's what you choose to do that counts. As I see it. Life can be Grand if we nourish those Spiritual things first. In doing so we will never have to worry about self worth again. Like a magnet, people will flock to you to share that which is Very Special about you.

AND A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me what you think. Tell me the things about Christmas you remember the most.

I haven't asked for anything for Christmas since I became an adult 20 some odd years ago. I quite like giving gifts though. It makes my day to see people's eyes light up when they recieve a gift, especially if it's unexpected. While I have not asked for any gifts I have received some. Usually from my adopted nieces or nephews and it's usually a diy gift like a card, or like last year my daughter took a picture of the final game of Pandemic season 1 legacy game that took us over 6 months to complete. She glued all the pieces, player cards, etc into position of the final game and framed it for me to hang on the wall. Creative stuff like that from the heart really hits home, because it wasn't about the game per say, it's about the time we spent together playing the game.

Meanwhile I am not as creative and bought her a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with attachments last year, and a Nintendo Switch with extra controllers and games this year. Which I admit is lazy but kids appreciate "stuff" more and that's just the way it is. Luckily it works for us, so yay me!

The best part of Christmas is the time spent with family. Putting up the Christmas tree listening to Christmas music (Bing Crosby, Michael Bublé, David Bowie, Scott Weiland, Mariah Carrey was this years playlist). Decorating the outside of the house and yard riding around the neighborhood admiring others decorations and lights. Last but not least is the Christmas day dinner.

Bird123

I haven't asked for anything for Christmas since I became an adult 20 some odd years ago. I quite like giving gifts though. It makes my day to see people's eyes light up when they recieve a gift, especially if it's unexpected. While I have not asked for any gifts I have received some. Usually from my adopted nieces or nephews and it's usually a diy gift like a card, or like last year my daughter took a picture of the final game of Pandemic season 1 legacy game that took us over 6 months to complete. She glued all the pieces, player cards, etc into position of the final game and framed it for me to hang on the wall. Creative stuff like that from the heart really hits home, because it wasn't about the game per say, it's about the time we spent together playing the game.

Meanwhile I am not as creative and bought her a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with attachments last year, and a Nintendo Switch with extra controllers and games this year. Which I admit is lazy but kids appreciate "stuff" more and that's just the way it is. Luckily it works for us, so yay me!

The best part of Christmas is the time spent with family. Putting up the Christmas tree listening to Christmas music (Bing Crosby, Michael Bublé, David Bowie, Scott Weiland, Mariah Carrey was this years playlist). Decorating the outside of the house and yard riding around the neighborhood admiring others decorations and lights. Last but not least is the Christmas day dinner.

Yes, those personal gifts are so much better. Riding the neighborhoods with all the lights is always great. Some people have real creativity. Christmas Dinner is Special but I always seem to eat too much. It takes several days to get over it. I am truly blessed there are those around me who can cook. If I had to eat my cooking, that dinner would not be so grand. You are right. The Quality time with family and friends is priceless.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For Christmas, I hope to get my little family together to enjoy some fun time together before everyone has to go back to work. I shall cook.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What do you mean what steak? To get less inspiring meat than ham you'd have to eat crab, rabbit, or frog which when fried in thin strips until crisp are all probably competitive with bacon.

Serloin, fillet, tbone, ribeye, faux fillet, chuck, entrecôte, and many more cuts of steak. Some good, most only for brazing in stews to mask he flavour and as cheap bulk meat. Some for dog food. Many of the good cuts can't compare to the delightful flavour of oak smoked back bacon.

Actually crab and frog are most excellent when prepared properly, but you are right about rabbit.

Jumi

I don't give gifts, but often receive them despite saying no I don't want gifts.