1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What about Quakers?

Discussion in 'Seekers Circle' started by Onkara, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Onkara

Onkara Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +307
    What about Quakers as an option for seekers?
    Where does Quakers fit in and what do they really do?

2. Wannabe Yogi

Wannabe Yogi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +556
    This is my small piece of knowledge on this subject. There are two types of Quakers the Church type and meeting type.

I have been a Quaker meeting a hand full of times. People sit in a circle for some time in silent meditation. After a 1/2 hour people start talking if they feel lead to do so. They have no leaders and all Decisions of the meeting house are made by 100% consensus. The try to live a simple life and they believe in nonviolence.

3. seeker69

seeker69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Onkarah, I've come to view the Quakers and a valid option for me in my quest. Actually, I came to that decision yesterday.

4. Onkara

Onkara Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +307
    Thanks Wannabe for sharing your experience. I have been in a Quakers "Society of Friends" meeting house but have never atteneded.

Seeker69 that is interesting to hear, I would be interested too in any experience you have with the Quakers, if it comes to that. From what I have read online they seem like a good option. I read they don't have priests or leaders, they even seem to be quite open to the way the meeting goes and how individual beliefs might differ.