1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured What about music in worship?

Discussion in 'Scriptural Debates' started by CohenDavidson, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +4,363
    how about .....Let It Burn...
    by Avatar

(live version)...youtube

2. Frater Sisyphus

Frater Sisyphus Contradiction, irrationality and disorder

Ratings:
    +349
    Religion:
    Thelemite (and strong-Theist)
    Hinduism has the best worship/devotional music HANDS DOWN! :cool:

3. Aldrnari

Aldrnari Active Member

Ratings:
    +355
    Religion:
    Eclectic Agnostic
    Oh god... This is an excellent point. No one should ever be subjected to such disturbing, cthulloid horrors. I can't even handle a minute, let alone all eternity...

Country music is how I know evil truly exists and thrives in this world.

4. 74x12

74x12 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,021
    Religion:
    Itiswhatitis
    As long as it's not forbidden explicitly in the scripture; I don't know why you would assume it's wrong. That is not adding to God's Word.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. David1967

David1967 Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,908
    Religion:
    Christian
    And where exactly did God ban the use of musical instruments in worship? Nowhere. Like I said before, if you don't like instruments in worship then don't use them. But dont be a killjoy to those who do. Personally I could care less whether someone uses them or not. So, you are of the denomination Church of Christ right?

#25 David1967, Mar 19, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,908
    Religion:
    Christian
    Dont hold back. This is fun (although completely predictable). :)

7. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,908
    Religion:
    Christian
    So according to your standards of not worshipping in any way not prescribed by the
    New Testament, I assume you dont have worship services on Sunday morning and night, and certainly not on Wednesday night since Jesus clearly worshipped on the Sabbath which is Saturday.
    (Note: I dont care which day a person chooses to worship, but a true die hard scripturalist as the OP claims would follow Jesus example and meet for Sabbath worship. )

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. KenS

KenS Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,375
    Religion:
    Judeo/Christian
    I think there is since there was never a commanment to stop.

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +770
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    I appreciate your care. As a Jewish Christian, I'm also very zealous to follow the scriptures closely. Instruments were also used throughout the Old Testament.

Your question touches on something not explicitly stated in scripture. Where the scriptures are silent, there is freedom for expression. It is not a sin to use instruments or to play music loudly--David and Moses led some incredible music with thousands of participants.

If something nags at your conscience, however, don't do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +14,783
    Religion:
    ecumenical & naturalistic Catholic
    If there is no prohibition cited, and there isn't, then there's really no problem.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,908
    Religion:
    Christian
    Please give chapter and verse where God banns the use of musical instruments in worship. I will save you the trouble. He doesn't. Nowhere. To say God has a problem with something He does not specifically condemn as wrong is to 'assume' that since you don't like something then God surely must agree with you. Sorry but that is silly. God is very specific in scripture, both New and Old testament about what He likes and doesn't, such as Murder, idolatry, disrespecting parents etc. and etc. No need to play fill in the blanks with personal peeves.

#31 David1967, Mar 20, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. David1967

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,908
    Religion:
    Christian
    To assume that since God didn't mention it, it must be wrong is quite a stretch ,don't ya think? That is opening the door to lots of potential phobias.

13. Buddha Dharma

Buddha Dharma Dharma Practitioner

Ratings:
    +1,488
    Religion:
    Bhedabheda Vedanta
    There's a lot of arguably petty things your Bible claims your god cares about. Music ranks as pretty significant compared to some of those things.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. Dantedeven

Dantedeven Member

Ratings:
    +33
    Religion:
    Heterodox
    I don't think God would ban music, music is the most humane thing i can imagine.
    But i do believe most of today's music is negative.
    Based on greed, i personally avoid it.

I would not want to surround myself with negative words.
    Mind occupied with negative lyrics.
    It is not something i would enjoy.

The only pure musicare Mantra's and such.
    Because the Sanskrit language is a pure language.
    I would choose instrumental over vocals anyday.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. CohenDavidson

CohenDavidson Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Religion:
    Christian
    We are never directly commanded not to worship the devil, does that mean it is okay? Obviously not. As I have said, sometimes, often most of the times when God is silent, it is just as important as when he speaks.

16. CohenDavidson

CohenDavidson Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Religion:
    Christian
    I'm sorry, I should have clarified... I am referring to instrumental music in worship.

17. CohenDavidson

CohenDavidson Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Religion:
    Christian
    This is a matter of worship, thus making this very important. The early church did not use music, many of the protestant leaders condemned the use of instruments in worship... it actually was first introduced nearly 600 years after the church was established. This is a real issue, but let me ask you something, If Noah would not have used the type of wood that he was commanded, do you think God would have allowed him to be saved?

18. CohenDavidson

CohenDavidson Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Religion:
    Christian
    Yes their were instances of instruments used in worship during the old law. The only problem is, we are to worship God in another manner when it comes to today. We are under the New Law, thus we see a new pattern of worship. The New Testament speaks specifically about singing, but never mentions the use of instruments. This is for a reason.

19. CohenDavidson

CohenDavidson Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Religion:
    Christian
    After Jesus's death, the church was established, thus causing the Sabbath to be no more as it was a part of the old law. We see instances of the apostles gathering on the first day of the week to worship. 1 Corinthians 16:1-2 Acts 20:7 The act of "breaking bread", or the Lord's Supper, or communion, is an act of worship, as is the act of giving as mentioned in 1 Corinthians. These acts of worship took place on the first day of the week. It was also common for the church to meet multiple times during the week, perhaps every day. I do see great benefit in that as well.

20. CohenDavidson

CohenDavidson Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Religion:
    Christian
    Not a denomination, we usually do not prefer to capitalize the c in church as well, stating that the name has meaning. It is not Church of Christ as a denomination would state, but rather church of Christ, meaning church that belongs to Christ. Jesus said that he would build his church Matthew 16:18 and Ephesians 4:4 says that their is one body. Ephesians 5:23 says that Jesus has established his church, thus making him the author and designer of his church. He is also the head of the body. A head can only support one body, as a man is to only take one wife. This is why we are not a denomination, because Jesus created and is the head of the church, not a man.