1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What’s Out In Scripture?

Discussion in 'Biblical Debates' started by Pah, May 23, 2006.

1. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,056
    From the magazine of the same name - http://www.hrc.org/scripture/June4.asp

As I've often said before, if you deny the Holy Spirit working in others you deny the Holy Spirit himself. And of course that leads to denying Christ through the Trinity.

To deny the Spirt moving in the flesh of the gay community to disavow yourself as Christian.

2. mattp

mattp Member

Ratings:
    +2
    that is an interesting comment, but do you really believe that God and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are the same person?

3. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,056
    Yes (with qualifications - I'm an atheist), but the question is off topic to the thread

4. dan

dan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    So sociological trends and a metaphorical application of the Bible completely change God's view on sin? Now God bends to suit our desires instead of the other way around.

What can we do about adultery? The world's pretty much ok with adultery, so let's take a look at some parallels in the Bible so we can change that too...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,056
    If the Holy Spirit is to be believed, and the words of Jesus are to be believed, why isn't a newer revelation to be believed. Why isn't it believed that the Holy Spirit can move in different directions.

We seem to have outgrown that the massace of other, non-believing races/tribes is now "outmoded". We seem to understand the Spirit's movement, at least in many churches and society in general, that slavery should not be tolerated nor women suppressed in society and in church.

Why do you doubt the Holy Spirit? - for isn't he the bedrock of revelation.

6. Mister Emu

Mister Emu Emu Extraordinaire
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    You are right, the Holy Spirit does move within the homosexual community. He leads people to repentance of all our sins.

7. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,056
    Indeed he does. I'm not sure that you hear what he is saying in this case.

8. Mister Emu

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    I disagree ;)

9. Pah

Pah Uber all member

Ratings:
    +1,056
    As with biiblical infanticide, genocide, slavery, the punishments of the laws, and suppression of women, current events will and reflection on history will both prove you wrong. sorry1:

10. Smoke

Smoke Done here.

Ratings:
    +3,252
    Since sin -- in the sense of offending God or violating his precepts -- is an entirely subjective term, is there any objective reason why it should be less offensive to say that it's a sin to be gay than to say that it's a sin to be Christian?

My renunciation of Christianity has had some effect on my beliefs, but I rejected Christianity entirely for ethical reasons. May I dare to hope that other Christians will see the error of their ways and make a similar ethical decision?

May I define "sin" in terms of ethics instead of in terms of divine decree? If so, may I express my conviction as the hope that people will repent of the sin of Christianity?

11. Mister Emu

Ratings:
    +1,340
    Religion:
    Christian
    :no:

Once again, I disagree. Even though the majority of Christendom were to condone homosexuality, only God can prove me wrong. The NT teaches that women and men are equal before God, teaches that children are important to God, teaches that punishing someone based on OT proscription is hypocritical. I seem to remember, but I can't think of the place(will have to search) that it also teaches that slavery is wrong. It also teaches that homosexuality is a sin before God.

I am confused, it wouldn't really offend me at all if you said christianity were a sin...

Go for it.

12. dan

dan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I don't doubt any of that, but where is it written or revealed that this is the particular sin that is to be turned around. Isn't it entirely possible that man could just be using that open door to push his own agenda through?

Keep in mind that it is my church that believes in continuing revelation. If you want to go against the Bible that's fine with me (I don't, but you can do whatever you want), but just don't ever use the Bible to try to knock my faith down again, because you're calling it an amendable document in this post.