• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'western' and 'eastern' LHP

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Oh really? A Google search for 'western left hand path' has 3 matches, in total. 2 from here and one from an 18 day old Reddit post with a very familiar writing style. Interesting right?

The only ones using the qualifier 'western' are the ones that can't seem to grep what the following 3 letters mean.

You claim lavey founded this 'wlhp', yet he never made that distinction. Crowley didn't either. Why? Those guys knew why such a qualifier would be extraneous.

It's only you and the 2 or 3 other people on this board you have managed to convince. I mean, I'm open to a distinction being made, but you have yet to display any reason why the song you are singing, which has little to nothing to do with the LHP proper, should also be qualified with that same term. It reeks of desperation.
Just by my observation: many western traditions that declare themselves to be LHP are not really Yin, imo. In fact there is a decided segment within it that tries to reach for the hyper-masculine, instead. There is one difference right there that is easily observable.

Just by my observation: many western traditions that declare themselves to be LHP are not really Yin, imo. In fact there is a decided segment within it that tries to reach for the hyper-masculine, instead. There is one difference right there that is easily observable.
Can you expound upon this? What traditions? What do you mean by hypermasculine?

crossfire

Premium Member
Can you expound upon this? What traditions? What do you mean by hypermasculine?
Can't really call them traditions, more like "subcultural currents." They are not really codified as traditions. Hypermasculinity is the exaggeration of stereotypical masculine behavior and memes.

crossfire

Premium Member
I'll have a look later, but I'm Mikey posts a LOT over there, it's buried under years now.

Either way, not sure how Egypt or Mesopotamia(even if interpreted factuality) can be the source of anything 'western'. That argument boggles the mind right?
Hey, I consider proto-indo-european culture and that which sprang from it as "Western." (I see India as the place where east-meets-west.)
This view certainly isn't shared by many. Your mileage may vary.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Quick post in dead of night barely awake;+

Probably not, as the latter actually had traditions. This wlhp jazz was born right here on RF less than a month ago. Nobody made that distinction(and still haven't properly made one) before two or three people on this board decided they should redefine the thing, without actually defining anything.

I find it curious that traditions decades old are often given more weight on this forum than traditions 1.400+ years old. not that any are less valid, but all need at least fair representation.

As usual you are wrong . . . the Western Left Hand Path has been termed and defined for many many years . . . you need to get out more ;)

By who? Lavey? No one in the west even agrees on the term, so why try to fight for one "western" definition? as I've heard commentators say its too individualistic to define one way even in a western light.

I too what to know what you mean.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
by who? lavey? who? no one in the west even agrees on the term, so why try to fight for one "western" definition? as ive heard ocmmentators say its too individuasitic to define one way even in a western light.

I think it was the early Church of Satan that began to really define Western Left Hand Path tradition, then the Temple of Set expanded upon and refined the definition.

LaVey used it in the same sense it was originally used, as has been explained multiple times. Even Blavatsky was describing something she found, not trying to build something new, and you will never hear Aquino call his thing 'western' 'LHP. It's just 'LHP, as interpreted by various practitioners.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
LaVey used it in the same sense it was originally used, as has been explained multiple times. Even Blavatsky was describing something she found, not trying to build something new, and you will never hear Aquino call his thing 'western' 'LHP. It's just 'LHP, as interpreted by various practitioners.
Then let me ask you . . . if everyone simply uses the term LHP, how do we know which LHP they are referring to?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
you will never hear Aquino call his thing 'western' 'LHP. It's just 'LHP, as interpreted by various practitioners.

I have seen Aquino use the term "Western" LHP along with other Setians in inner-Temple of Set documents and writings, its where I first heard and learned about the term and tradition many moons ago.

Last edited:

Onyx

Premium Member
I have seen Aquino use the term "Western" LHP along with other Setians in inner-Temple of Set documents and writings, its where I first heard and learned about the term and tradition many moons ago.

This is conjecture, but I wouldn't be at all suprised if Dr. Aquino coined the term "WLHP" himself, given his ability to clarify the vague. (I don't remember LaVey ever using anything beyond "LHP", but I could be wrong.)

I'm not overly concerned about this matter, though. Ill-defined terms require qualification unless used within an obvious context, but the latter usually holds true. If not, then the author is responsible, not the terminology.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
This is conjecture, but I wouldn't be at all suprised if Dr. Aquino coined the term "WLHP" himself, given his ability to clarify the vague. (I don't remember LaVey ever using anything beyond "LHP", but I could be wrong.)

I'm not overly concerned about this matter, though. Ill-defined terms require qualification unless used within an obvious context, but the latter usually holds true. If not, then the author is responsible, not the terminology.
I'd be interested in finding the origin of the term, but it matters not to me. An Ideal need not have a label in order for it to exist, only to be recognized.

crossfire

Premium Member
Another obvious distinction between the Western LHP and the Eastern LHP is the difference between the cultures involved, each culture having its own set of irrational hangups to overcome. (Eating a cow in the East would be a taboo, but in the West, it is not, for one example. Another example might be alcohol taboo in East, but not marijuana, whereas the taboos are switched in the West.)

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
It was on RF that I first saw the term "Eastern" LHP and learned more about the philosophy and tradition. I already knew that certain aspects of Setian philosophy are related to Buddhism. There are many things in "Setianism" that are eclectic re-manifestations.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
(I don't remember LaVey ever using anything beyond "LHP", but I could be wrong.)
I don't know about Anton LeVey, but his daughter Zeena did use the terms "Eastern Lefthand" and "Western Lefthand," and showed how the two are distinguished in her books.