• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Westboro Baptist funeral protest in my town

Draka

Wonder Woman
I found videos of when the WBC was protesting in my hometown. I guess, because we aren't a very large city, that they didn't think to send very many people, or that they didn't think many would turn out to counter them. Turns out they were wrong.

First one shows them on one side of the street, along with Ottumwans counter-protesting them.
[youtube]O8g59CkSrc4[/youtube]

Second one shows the turn out on the other side of the street - warning - lots of swearing. Seems the presence of WBC really brought out the vile in some people here.
[youtube]GyMDQ1faA3c[/youtube]

And this one would be of them leaving...quickly near the end. :p
[youtube]0-iM6TIROHk[/youtube]

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Ha. I remember when they came to my town.

Even the Bible-beating fundies were like "Get out you haters lalala"

If it makes anyone feel better, though, people continue to leave that "church". Megan and her cousin left back in...November I think? Maybe February...Now hopefully everyone just leaves. (Well, I can dream. heh.)

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Ha. I remember when they came to my town.

Even the Bible-beating fundies were like "Get out you haters lalala"

If it makes anyone feel better, though, people continue to leave that "church". Megan and her cousin left back in...November I think? Maybe February...Now hopefully everyone just leaves. (Well, I can dream. heh.)

That actually gives me some hope for fundamentalists

I'd expect the younger members probably would leave

Draka

Wonder Woman
And you are sharing them because ... ?

Why not? Not much happens here to be honest. There was another time where WBC had planned to do a funeral protest here, I think it was after that one, and that time there was this huge turn out with all kinds of people wearing red/maroon shirts to act as a blockade and Patriot Guard Riders even showed up too, but the WBC never showed up.

ZooGirl02

This group really infuriates me. They are the most hateful group out there that calls themselves Christians. Personally I have a hard time believing that they are Christians but I'll leave that judgment up to God. They certainly don't love their neighbor as themselves and they certainly don't love their enemies either which are both things that Jesus Christ called us to do.

That said, I am against "gay marriage" and other things that modern gay rights activists want enacted into law. However, I do believe that gay men, lesbian women, bisexual people, and transgender people should be treated with love and compassion. They should not be unjustly discriminated against. They should, however, be urged to live a life of chastity which for some of them would be a life of celibacy.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Local Christian Allies and GBLTQIs should hold hands and sing songs like "Dancing Queen", "I Want to Break Free", "YMCA", and "It's Raining Men". Far more effective. :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Local Christian Allies and GBLTQIs should hold hands and sing songs like "Dancing Queen", "I Want to Break Free", "YMCA", and "It's Raining Men". Far more effective. :D

No...they'll immediately alienate pro-equality white boys like myself who don't like disco and can't dance.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The WBC definitely puts the concept of cultivating loving kindness and compassion to the test. One fails the test miserably when wants to take a katana and start slicing and dicing, and even worse, doing so with fiendish delight, laughing maniacally. If there were a hell, I'd be sooo going there. :(

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
I believe God is in everyone. Some days it's hard to believe God is even in them.

Draka

Wonder Woman
LOL - "USA, USA, USA, USA!". :biglaugh:

I think that would be because not only were they wearing hats and clothing with the US flag inverted, but they actually had a flag they were standing and stomping on. Add in the fact they were there to protest the funeral of a soldier...you get the drift.

Draka

Wonder Woman
It's actually quite ironic that the WBC seems to hate the US so damn much, thinking our soldiers and sailors deserve to be killed for the "wickedness" of this country and how generally liberal and accepting it is, yet in any country that wasn't, they would not be allowed to do what they do. They would be locked up...or worse. Idiots. :facepalm: