• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Westboro at it again...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Nietzsche? How is he relevant? He was not believed to be the son of god. What was your point?
That many people tend to focus on these odd things and take the entirety out of context. With Nietzsche, many people focus on a few things and have labeled him some sort of super Nihilist, even though such a conclusion couldn't be further from what he actually wrote. But when you focus on just a few passages of his, the Blonde Beast appears to strongly support the Nazi/Aryan cause, even though other less-known passages make it clear he was talking about a lion, and in reality Nietzsche loathed the anti-Semitism of his time.
Like it or not, there is nothing Biblical about what WBC does. Christians are supposed to respect others, they are commanded to love everyone, unconditionally, and they are supposed to live in accordance to minimum standards:

Romans 12:1-2
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, in the Bible that supports what WBC does. Not in the OT, not according to Paul, and especially not according to Jesus. The parable of the good Samaritan strongly suggests that they are doing the exact opposite of what they are supposed to be doing. Jesus forgave the thieves, he didn't shun the leper, and except for the money changers who were defiling the temple, he didn't show such animosity towards anyone, and he most certainly did not tell his followers to go out and protest sin in such a way as to make the masses hate them. Jesus would actually be rather appalled over such a thing because it is so strongly contradictory to his teachings.

If the Bible is real, then it is very likely that Luke 13:26-28 will be their fate:
Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets'; and He will say, 'I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.' In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.
How would it at all be possible for God to allow WBC into his kingdom when they themselves are wretched vermin who enforce the stereotype of Christians being the most judgemental and hypocritical ******** out there, and end up turning people away from God due to their inflammatory and venom-drenched ways?

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
That many people tend to focus on these odd things and take the entirety out of context. With Nietzsche, many people focus on a few things and have labeled him some sort of super Nihilist, even though such a conclusion couldn't be further from what he actually wrote. But when you focus on just a few passages of his, the Blonde Beast appears to strongly support the Nazi/Aryan cause, even though other less-known passages make it clear he was talking about a lion, and in reality Nietzsche loathed the anti-Semitism of his time.
Like it or not, there is nothing Biblical about what WBC does. Christians are supposed to respect others, they are commanded to love everyone, unconditionally, and they are supposed to live in accordance to minimum standards:

Romans 12:1-2
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
There is nothing, absolutely NOTHING, in the Bible that supports what WBC does.
No. Every word of their beliefs comes from the bible, it is a literal translation. They are as real as the positive passages you prefer to focus upon, and more numerous.
Not in the OT, not according to Paul, and especially not according to Jesus. The parable of the good Samaritan strongly suggests that they are doing the exact opposite of what they are supposed to be doing. Jesus forgave the thieves, he didn't shun the leper, and except for the money changers who were defiling the temple, he didn't show such animosity towards anyone, and he most certainly did not tell his followers to go out and protest sin in such a way as to make the masses hate them. Jesus would actually be rather appalled over such a thing because it is so strongly contradictory to his teachings.
If the Bible is real, then it is very likely that Luke 13:26-28 will be their fate:
Then you will begin to say, 'We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets'; and He will say, 'I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.' In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.
How would it at all be possible for God to allow WBC into his kingdom when they themselves are wretched vermin who enforce the stereotype of Christians being the most judgemental and hypocritical ******** out there, and end up turning people away from God due to their inflammatory and venom-drenched ways?
The bible has many contradictory statements, that does not argue the darker passages away. That there are positive affirmations does not negate or demolish the negative affirmations.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
These are some of the passages Phelps relies on to form the WBC doctrine.

Leviticus 20:23 - "And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, andtherefore I abhorred them."

Leviticus 26:30 - "And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you."

Deuteronomy 32:19 - "And when the LORD saw it, he abhorred them, because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters."

Psalm 5:5 - "The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."

Psalm 5:6 - "Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man."

Psalm 10:3 - "For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth."

Psalm 11:5 - "The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth."

Psalm 53:5 - "There were they in great fear, where no fear was: for God hath scattered the bones of him that encampeth against thee: thou hast put them to shame, because God hath despised them."

Psalm 73:20 - "As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image."

Psalm 78:59 - "When God heard this, he was wroth, and greatly abhorred Israel:"

Psalm 106:40 - "Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance."

Proverbs 6:16-19 - "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

Proverbs 22:14 - "The mouth of strange women is a deep pit: he that is abhorred of the LORD shall fall therein."

Lamentations 2:6 - "And he hath violently taken away his tabernacle, as if it were of a garden: he hath destroyed his places of the assembly: the LORD hath caused the solemn feasts and sabbaths to be forgotten in Zion, and hath despised in the indignation of his anger the king and the priest."

Hosea 9:15 - "All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house,I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters."

Zechariah 11:8 - "Three shepherds also I cut off in one month; and my soul lothed them, and their soul also abhorred me."

Malachi 1:3 - "And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness."

Romans 9:13 - "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Leviticus 20:23 - "And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, andtherefore I abhorred them."

Leviticus 26:30 - "And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your images, and cast your carcases upon the carcases of your idols, and my soul shall abhor you."

Deuteronomy 32:19 - "And when the LORD saw it, he abhorred them, because of the provoking of his sons, and of his daughters."

Psalm 5:5 - "The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity."

Psalm 5:6 - "Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man."

Psalm 10:3 - "For the wicked boasteth of his heart's desire, and blesseth the covetous, whom the LORD abhorreth."

Psalm 11:5 - "The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth."

Psalm 53:5 - "There were they in great fear, where no fear was: for God hath scattered the bones of him that encampeth against thee: thou hast put them to shame, because God hath despised them."

Psalm 73:20 - "As a dream when one awaketh; so, O Lord, when thou awakest, thou shalt despise their image."

Psalm 106:40 - "Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance."

Proverbs 6:16-19 - "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

Proverbs 22:14 - "The mouth of strange women is a deep pit: he that is abhorred of the LORD shall fall therein."

Lamentations 2:6 - "And he hath violently taken away his tabernacle, as if it were of a garden: he hath destroyed his places of the assembly: the LORD hath caused the solemn feasts and sabbaths to be forgotten in Zion, and hath despised in the indignation of his anger the king and the priest."

Hosea 9:15 - "All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house,I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters."

Zechariah 11:8 - "Three shepherds also I cut off in one month; and my soul lothed them, and their soul also abhorred me."

Malachi 1:3 - "And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness."

And yet not a single one of those supports or condones what WBC does. But WBC does do a lot of running to mischief and sowing discord. And they certainly provoke many people, the sons and daughters and non-believers alike.
And not a single one of those comes from the Gospels.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
And yet not a single one of those supports or condones what WBC does. But WBC does do a lot of running to mischief and sowing discord. And they certainly provoke many people, the sons and daughters and non-believers alike.
And not a single one of those comes from the Gospels.
All of them support and command what the WBC does. That is the point. It is all about how they are interpreted.

By the way, the first few examples I gave earlier were all from the Gospels, you appear to have forgotten.

Last edited:

JoStories

You miss the point - they are FOLLOWING the teachings of Christ. The 'true' teachings as Fred Phelps saw it. Christ never teaches unconditional live for all peoples in the bible, you must have misread. Don't forget that Jesus teaches us that he came to bring the sword, not the dove of peace.
Agreed. But Christ also taught to love all others unconditionally. As I said, I agree that they are allegedly following the precepts of the OT but I don't agree that Jesus would have condoned such heinous behavior.

JoStories

What I find interesting about your list and I agree that it supports their ridiculous ideals, is that the only one you quoted that is from the NT was allegedly written by Paul, and not one really contains what I consider to be the central message of Christ. In particular, the Sermon of the Mount.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
What I find interesting about your list and I agree that it supports their ridiculous ideals, is that the only one you quoted that is from the NT was allegedly written by Paul, and not one really contains what I consider to be the central message of Christ. In particular, the Sermon of the Mount.
I could list as many from the NT if you wish. More in fact.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Agreed. But Christ also taught to love all others unconditionally. As I said, I agree that they are allegedly following the precepts of the OT but I don't agree that Jesus would have condoned such heinous behavior.
Neither do I , not for one second. That is not at all my position. Jesus would not support them.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That would just make them feel like martyrs, & inspire them further.
I'd rub bacon grease in their hair.
It soothes the savage beast.
True, true.
But at least in my dreams I can greet them in Hell and torture them with things I learned from learning about Vlad Dracul III.
Bacon grease may be included, but only if it is straight from the skillet and boiling. And if the skillet is firmly, and forcefully, implanted into their skull.

But, at least they aren't violent (I'm sure they would have shown it by now if they were). And hopefully there won't be any charges pressed against the guy, and when the WBC Legion (of lawyers) goes to court over it the judge will tell them how utterly despicable they are and dismiss the case.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Can someone explain to me what exactly Biden's son did to deserve these freaks showing up and ruining the funeral? All this is is a publicity stunt and all it does is further make the Christian faith look a joke. I hope they put that idiot in a federal lock up and charge him with terrorist acts.
There is no excusing their behaviour.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can someone explain to me what exactly Biden's son did to deserve these freaks showing up and ruining the funeral? All this is is a publicity stunt and all it does is further make the Christian faith look a joke. I hope they put that idiot in a federal lock up and charge him with terrorist acts.
I don't understand what motivates such people.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
All of them support and command what the WBC does. That is the point. It is all about how they are interpreted.
This is the point, it is all in the interpretation.

Whatever you think about Fred Phelps he is very scripturally literate. I once watched a video of him in a debate. The vid is probably still on their website.
It was a moderated debate between Fred and some somewhat more liberal Bible scholar. The topic was "God hates some people", with Fred taking the affirmative.
Fred wiped the floor with the guy. His knowledge of Scripture, in the original languages, is broad and deep. He not only justified their position but also their methods.
Based on the performance I would imagine that he was also formidable in the courtroom.
Tom