• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were the Medes the ancient ancestors of the Slavs?

Cooky

Veteran Member
They trace their known origins to what is effectively Ukraine-Russia. The further origins of the Slavs are unknown.

That's Eastern Europe.

...Germany is central Europe.

Why the notion exists to exclude Slavs from European heritage seems nefarious.

Rival

Si m'ait Dieus
Staff member
Premium Member
That's Eastern Europe.

...Germany is central Europe
It depends on your definition. Yes, they are in common usage; but the European continent is not actually a continent: the whole continent is Eurasia, so when scholars in anthropology speak of central Europe, they mean the Russian Steppes (i.e., between Europe and Asia - central Europe/Asia).

Cooky

Veteran Member
It depends on your definition. Yes, they are in common usage; but the European continent is not actually a continent: the whole continent is Eurasia, so when scholars in anthropology speak of central Europe, they mean the Russian Steppes (i.e., between Europe and Asia - central Europe/Asia).

Where do you consider the Eastern end of Europe? Is part of Russia within Europe in your opinion?

Here's what most people acknowledge:
Europe.jpg

...Slovakia, Hungary and Southern Poland are directly in the center. Russia comprises the East.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think what most people fail to understand is that the Persians and the Medes were both white people, but the Elamites were black Africans... These were the three largest ancient groups in what is now Iran.
"White" is not an actual ethnic grouping. It's a made up racial caste term that is too vague to mean anything. Same for "black". Maybe you mean Indo-European. Persians are Indo-Europeans. So are Slavs, Germanic peoples, Celts, Italic peoples, Hellenic peoples, Armenians, Kurds, etc. I don't know what grouping the Medes would fall into.

Cooky

Veteran Member
"White" is not an actual ethnic grouping. It's a made up racial caste term that is too vague to mean anything. Same for "black". Maybe you mean Indo-European. Persians are Indo-Europeans. So are Slavs, Germanic peoples, Celts, Italic peoples, Hellenic peoples, Armenians, Kurds, etc. I don't know what grouping the Medes would fall into.

According to an Iranian DNA website, they were Indo-European.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Okay. They're were an Iranian group so that's a different branch of the Indo-European tree.

But they weren't an Iranian group, they long predated Iran by over a thousand years, appearing there in what is now Iran in 600 to 800 BC, predating, possibly even being the original founders, of Zoroastrianism.

Last edited by a moderator:

leov

In the 400s b.c., Greek geographer Herodotus recorded much of what was known of the people within and surrounding Greece. Of those living in Eastern Europe and southern Russia at the time, he described a specific tribe dressed like the Medes that dwelled east all the way to the Danube—a people whose “borders reach down almost to the Eneti upon the Adriatic Sea, and they call themselves colonists of the Medes.”

Roman geographer Pliny confirms what Herodotus recorded. He wrote in the first century a.d. of the people who lived in what is now modern-day Ukraine: “We then come to the river Tanais [River Don], which discharges itself into the sea by two mouths, and the banks of which are inhabited by the Sarmatæ, the descendants of the Medi.”

So Roman and Greek historians record that the descendants of the Medes migrated out of Asia from what is now Iran into Europe—settling all over Eastern Europe, from modern-day Ukraine all the way to the Balkans! At Pliny’s time, the Medes began to be called Sarmatians.

World News, Economics and Analysis Based on Bible Prophecy
Scythians - Wikipedia

leov

In the 400s b.c., Greek geographer Herodotus recorded much of what was known of the people within and surrounding Greece. Of those living in Eastern Europe and southern Russia at the time, he described a specific tribe dressed like the Medes that dwelled east all the way to the Danube—a people whose “borders reach down almost to the Eneti upon the Adriatic Sea, and they call themselves colonists of the Medes.”

Roman geographer Pliny confirms what Herodotus recorded. He wrote in the first century a.d. of the people who lived in what is now modern-day Ukraine: “We then come to the river Tanais [River Don], which discharges itself into the sea by two mouths, and the banks of which are inhabited by the Sarmatæ, the descendants of the Medi.”

So Roman and Greek historians record that the descendants of the Medes migrated out of Asia from what is now Iran into Europe—settling all over Eastern Europe, from modern-day Ukraine all the way to the Balkans! At Pliny’s time, the Medes began to be called Sarmatians.

fwiw
Tarim Basin in China – mummies of proto-Slavs 4000 years old

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But they weren't an Iranian group, they long predated Iran by over a thousand years, appearing there in what is now Iran in 600 to 800 BC, predating, possibly even being the original founders, of Zoroastrianism.
Indo-Iranian is a sub-group of the Indo-European tree. The Iranian peoples are a group of related ethnic groups including Persians and Kurds. Iran as a modern country is irrelevant. That culture is very old. Either way, I'm pretty confident that the Medes had nothing to do with the Slavic peoples.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Indo-Iranian is a sub-group of the Indo-European tree. The Iranian peoples are a group of related ethnic groups including Persians and Kurds. Iran as a modern country is irrelevant. That culture is very old. Either way, I'm pretty confident that the Medes had nothing to do with the Slavic peoples.

Which makes Greek geographer Herodotus' claim, as well as Roman geographer Pliny's claim
all the stranger (see post #1).

...But I know for a fact there are some Germanic peoples who seem bent on deflecting any and all kinds of anthropological discoveries involving the Slavs -as to permanently erase any trace of their history. I say this as a mixed Slavic-Germanic-Celtic person.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Many Germanic Westerners are just as deceitful as the Slavic Russians for sure.

...I can see the hate from both sides, as clear as day. :cool:

In fact, I can detect it in this very thread.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Which makes Greek geographer Herodotus' claim, as well as Roman geographer Pliny's claim
all the stranger (see post #1).

...But I know for a fact there are some Germanic peoples who seem bent on deflecting any and all kinds of anthropological discoveries involving the Slavs -as to permanently erase any trace of their history. I say this as a mixed Slavic-Germanic-Celtic person.
You should go with modern research over what ancient historians say. They didn't have the same standards or knowledge as us.

I'm not aware of that.

Shad

Veteran Member

Test the DNA to prove it. Not hard to do. Too bad your source avoids it due to bible babble.

Shad

Veteran Member
You sound really Germanic.

One side of my family is from Germany.

But no, the Medes no longer exist. So DNA tests can't be done.

Yes it can as the Medes mate and produced children. It is called a genetic heritage. You are conflating a cultural identification with DNA. If Germany no longer existed it does not mean DNA groups labelled as Germanic suddenly go extinct. Yawn.

Cooky

Veteran Member
One side of my family is from Germany.

I figured so. It's built into Germanics and Slavs DNA to be against each other -this I know, because one Western poster didn't even want to claim the Slavic countries as European, and the other Germanics scoff at the idea of Slavs gaining any sort of history. They want it all erased forever.

...But it's okay. Slavs hate Germanics just the same. :)

Cooky

Veteran Member
Yes it can as the Medes mate and produced children. It is called a genetic heritage. You are conflating a cultural identification with DNA. If Germany no longer existed it does not mean DNA groups labelled as Germanic suddenly go extinct. Yawn.

Pure..? They can get a pure sample..?

Shad

Veteran Member
I figured so. It's built into Germanics and Slavs DNA to be against each other -this I know, because one Western poster didn't even want to claim the Slavic countries as European, and the other Germanics scoff at the idea of Slavs gaining any sort of history. They want it all erased forever.

Babble to deflect.

...But it's okay. Slavs hate Germanics just the same. :)

More babble