• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were the crew of the Enola Gay war criminals?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
My neighbor is related to that guy; he's never met him but his extended family said that despite talking about it haunting him sometimes, he otherwise "slept like a baby at night."

Is he still alive?
That's very interesting.
I was talking to an old man in Southern Germany a few years ago. My brother in law told me afterwards he had been in the Waffen SS. I think it's fascinating how ordinary people do terrible things and drift back into 'normal' life again.

Faxecura

I was watching a documentary about Hiroshima last night. I found it very disturbing and it left me wondering - were the crew of the Enola Gay war criminals?

I think they were.

Maybe not them, but I think if Rudolf Hoss was a war criminal, then Roosevelt, Truman, Churchill and Stalin must certainly have just as bad in terms of the number of people they killed.

However, the fact that Allies committed war crimes does not necessarily mean that the Axis did not do the same.

Viker

Häxan
Maybe not them, but I think if Rudolf Hoss was a war criminal, then Roosevelt, Truman, Churchill and Stalin must certainly have just as bad in terms of the number of people they killed.

However, the fact that Allies committed war crimes does not necessarily mean that the Axis did not do the same.

War is a crime. And since it's anarchy I would gladly join in on the lawlessness.

outhouse

Atheistically
I was watching a documentary about Hiroshima last night. I found it very disturbing and it left me wondering - were the crew of the Enola Gay war criminals?

I think they were.

They were men following orders that saved hundreds of thousands of people.

outhouse

Atheistically
I have no remorse over what my country did and if we had a do over id pull the release handle myself.

The dropping of the bombs again saved countless civilian lives due to the RUTHLESS Japaneese leaders stubborness.

THOSE men on that plane are HEROS and ARE remembered as such.

When I call the Japaneese leaders of the time RUTHLESS, I'll let you know that is a understatement and the words that need to really be expressed cannot be due to forum rules.

They called up and begged for it, and recieved it.

cablescavenger

I have no remorse over what my country did and if we had a do over id pull the release handle myself.

The dropping of the bombs again saved countless civilian lives due to the RUTHLESS Japaneese leaders stubborness.

THOSE men on that plane are HEROS and ARE remembered as such.

When I call the Japaneese leaders of the time RUTHLESS, I'll let you know that is a understatement and the words that need to really be expressed cannot be due to forum rules.

They called up and begged for it, and received it.

It may well have stopped a war.
The Japanese were brutal, no doubt about it.
The bomb freed a lot of prisoners, and it also bought a lot of people home, including my Grandad, who was fighting the Japs in Burma when the bomb was dropped, and had spent 3 years fighting them in the Burmese jungle.

It was still a war crime, no point glossing over it.

outhouse

Atheistically
It may well have stopped a war.
The Japanese were brutal, no doubt about it.
The bomb freed a lot of prisoners, and it also bought a lot of people home, including my Grandad, who was fighting the Japs in Burma when the bomb was dropped, and had spent 3 years fighting them in the Burmese jungle.

It was still a war crime, no point glossing over it.

War crime, not a chance.

It was a life saving choice, orders given from the top and followed.

Thats not glossing over anything. That was a gift for them to save lives..

cablescavenger

War crime, not a chance.

It was a life saving choice, orders given from the top and followed.

Thats not glossing over anything. That was a gift for them to save lives..

It wasn't life saving. 250,000 civilains were murdered, and the Geneva convention would disagree with you. We are all entitled to opinion, but the law is pretty clear.

outhouse

Atheistically
It wasn't life saving. 250,000 civilains were murdered, and the Geneva convention would disagree with you. We are all entitled to opinion, but the law is pretty clear.

the geneva conv, does not have the authority to save countless millions of lives.

Only the USA did. Murder isnt the right word for it.

IT was life saving. Learn the history before you comment on something your not aware of.

Millions of people would have been killed, had we not dropped those bombs forcing surrender. we would have carpet bombed the whole country with incidiary devices .

cablescavenger

the geneva conv, does not have the authority to save countless millions of lives.

Only the USA did. Murder isnt the right word for it.

IT was life saving. Learn the history before you comment on something your not aware of.

Millions of people would have been killed, had we not dropped those bombs forcing surrender. we would have carpet bombed the whole country with incidiary devices .
:facepalm:

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
Of course they weren't... only the losers can be war criminals; the winners were just patriots faced with difficult choices...

That is the nature of history, winning is everything, morality be damned because facts can be skewed if not outright changed.