• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We're going to lose Afghanistan

ronki23

@ChristineM @Altfish

This time it's the left wing leader (Joe Biden ) who decided to withdraw NATO troops.

The difference between Afghanistan and Iraq is that Afghanistan DID harbour Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda

ronki23

Yeah, but that didn't warrant a war that lasted around 20 years.

If it was Sudan or Somalia I'd have still sent troops after Osama.

Iraq was completely unnecessary: Taliban and Saddam could've had sanctions installed.

By the way, 'we' funded the Muhajideen of Afghanistan, we didn't fund Al Qaeda. Two different yet intertwined entities

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
If it was Sudan or Somalia I'd have still sent troops after Osama.

Iraq was completely unnecessary: Taliban and Saddam could've had sanctions installed.

By the way, 'we' funded the Muhajideen of Afghanistan, we didn't fund Al Qaeda. Two different yet intertwined entities

So you accept over 200.000 dead people for killing one man. Okay, I don't!

ronki23

So you accept over 200.000 dead people for killing one man. Okay, I don't!

And if we didn't go after him then more attacks on the West would have occurred. Its not just one man, its a whole network : they were later found in a compound in Pakistan conveniently near a military base which suggests Pakistani involvement

By the way, @ChristineM and @Altfish will happily blame the Tories for everything when Iraq was Labour's decision.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
And if we didn't go after him then more attacks on the West would have occurred. Its not just one man, its a whole network : they were later found in a compound in Pakistan conveniently near a military base which suggests Pakistani involvement

By the way, @ChristineM and @Altfish will happily blame the Tories for everything when Iraq was Labour's decision.

It doesn't mean that we had to go to war like we did.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
@ChristineM @Altfish

This time it's the left wing leader (Joe Biden ) who decided to withdraw NATO troops.

The difference between Afghanistan and Iraq is that Afghanistan DID harbour Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda

Trump started the withdrawal process by signing the withdrawal agreement a year before biden took office. You need to check your facts before dishing out misinformation

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

To be fair, that was New Labour.

Altfish

Veteran Member

How do you know what I think of Blair's involvement in Iraq?
I can assure you that you are wrong.

We Never Know

No Slack
The agreement was signed on 29th feb 2020

From the link on my previous post. Its was started on 2012.

The U.S. drawdown in Afghanistan began 13 July 2011 when the first 650 U.S. troops left Afghanistan as part of Obama's planned drawdown.[42][43][44] The units that left were two Army National Guard cavalry squadrons: the 1st Squadron, 134th Cavalry Regiment, based in Kabul, and the 1st Squadron, 113th Cavalry Regiment, which had been in neighboring Parwan province.[42]

The United States and its NATO allies finalized agreements on 18 April 2012 to wind down the war in Afghanistan by formalizing three commitments: to move the Afghans gradually into a lead combat role; to keep some international troops in Afghanistan beyond 2014, and to pay billions of dollars a year to help support the Afghan security forces.[45][46][47]

On 2 May 2012, Afghan president Hamid Karzai and U.S. president Barack Obama signed a strategic partnership agreement between the two countries, after the U.S. president had arrived in Kabul as part of unannounced trip to Afghanistan on the first anniversary of Osama bin Laden's death.[48] The U.S.–Afghanistan Strategic Partnership Agreement, officially titled the "Enduring Strategic Partnership Agreement between the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the United States of America",[49] provides the long-term framework for the relationship between Afghanistan and the United States of America after the drawdown of U.S. forces in the Afghanistan war.[50] The agreement went into effect on 4 July 2012.[51]

After the signing of the strategic partnership agreement Obama laid out his plans to end the war in Afghanistan responsibly. The plans call for 1) the removal of 23,000 US troops at the summer end of 2012, i.e. at the end of September 2012;[52] 2) Afghan security forces to take the lead in combat operations by the end of 2013 while ISAF forces train, advise and assist the Afghans and fight alongside them when needed; and 3) the complete removal of all U.S. troops by the end of 2014, except for trainers who will assist Afghan forces and a small contingent of troops with a specific mission to combat al-Qaeda through counterterrorism operations

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
From the link on my previous post. Its was started on 2012.

The U.S. drawdown in Afghanistan began 13 July 2011 when the first 650 U.S. troops left Afghanistan as part of Obama's planned drawdown.[42][43][44] The units that left were two Army National Guard cavalry squadrons: the 1st Squadron, 134th Cavalry Regiment, based in Kabul, and the 1st Squadron, 113th Cavalry Regiment, which had been in neighboring Parwan province.[42]

The United States and its NATO allies finalized agreements on 18 April 2012 to wind down the war in Afghanistan by formalizing three commitments: to move the Afghans gradually into a lead combat role; to keep some international troops in Afghanistan beyond 2014, and to pay billions of dollars a year to help support the Afghan security forces.[45][46][47]

On 2 May 2012, Afghan president Hamid Karzai and U.S. president Barack Obama signed a strategic partnership agreement between the two countries, after the U.S. president had arrived in Kabul as part of unannounced trip to Afghanistan on the first anniversary of Osama bin Laden's death.[48] The U.S.–Afghanistan Strategic Partnership Agreement, officially titled the "Enduring Strategic Partnership Agreement between the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the United States of America",[49] provides the long-term framework for the relationship between Afghanistan and the United States of America after the drawdown of U.S. forces in the Afghanistan war.[50] The agreement went into effect on 4 July 2012.[51]

After the signing of the strategic partnership agreement Obama laid out his plans to end the war in Afghanistan responsibly. The plans call for 1) the removal of 23,000 US troops at the summer end of 2012, i.e. at the end of September 2012;[52] 2) Afghan security forces to take the lead in combat operations by the end of 2013 while ISAF forces train, advise and assist the Afghans and fight alongside them when needed; and 3) the complete removal of all U.S. troops by the end of 2014, except for trainers who will assist Afghan forces and a small contingent of troops with a specific mission to combat al-Qaeda through counterterrorism operations

Yup, and signed n 2020

Also from Wikipedia

On 29 February 2020, the U.S. and the Taliban signed a peace agreement titled the Agreement for Bringing Peace to Afghanistan,[2] with provisions including the withdrawal of all regular American and NATO troops from Afghanistan, a Taliban pledge to prevent al-Qaeda from operating in areas under Taliban control, and talks between the Taliban and the Afghan government.[3] The deal was supported by China, Pakistan, and Russia,[4] and unanimously endorsed by the United Nations Security Council.[5]

The Trump administration agreed to an initial reduction of its force level from 13,000 to 8,600 by July 2020, followed by a full withdrawal by 1 May 2021 if the Taliban kept its commitments.[6] The Biden administration extended the withdrawal deadline to 11 September 2021.[7] On 8 July, Biden shifted the U.S. withdrawal deadline to 31 August.[8] The Department of Defense stated that the U.S. will continue airstrikes on Taliban at least until the withdrawal was officially concluded​

Withdrawal of United States troops from Afghanistan (2020–2021) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"We're going to lose Afghanistan." I did not know that you owned Afghanistan. :D
The difference between Afghanistan and Iraq is that Afghanistan DID harbour Osama bin Laden and Al Qaeda.
It was not Afghanistan but Pakistan which harbored Osama, Mullah Omar, Hafiz Saeed, Masood Azhar and the killer of Daneil Pearl, Ahmad Omar Sheikh. Taliban too had sanctuaries in Pakistan. US had no policy on Pakistan.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
The agreement was signed on 29th feb 2020

"On 2 May 2012, Afghan president Hamid Karzai and U.S. president Barack Obama signed a strategic partnership agreement between the two countries, after the U.S. president had arrived in Kabul as part of unannounced trip to Afghanistan on the first anniversary of Osama bin Laden's death."

"After the signing of the strategic partnership agreement Obama laid out his plans to end the war in Afghanistan responsibly. The plans call for 1) the removal of 23,000 US troops at the summer end of 2012,"

Evidently what was signed in 2012 didn't go as planned.

PureX

Veteran Member
I wonder which country we'll invade and occupy next, now that invasion as "peacemaking" has become a regular and acceptable way of funneling billions of hard-earned American tax dollars into the pockets of the wealthy capital investors that own and control the U.S. government. You say that we "lost" Afghanistan but it was a great success for those who invested in the production of all those weapons and materials used to maintain that invasion and occupation. They got very rich off it. And since the common rabble in the U.S. can't seem to conceive of any other way of dealing with their fellow humans except through the barrel of a gun, we will no doubt have a new "foe" that must be annihilated, soon. It's just good for business, after all, and good for the ego, too. That's a "win/win" by American political standards.

Last edited: