• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were did we get the idea for halos?

epronovost

It's a conveniant and artistic way to represent solar deities and the shinny, awe inspiring divine light of those deities.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Emphasis mine

1560s, "ring of light around the sun or moon," from Latin halo (nominative halos), from Greek halos "disk of the sun or moon; ring of light around the sun or moon" (also "disk of a shield"); ""threshing floor; garden," of unknown origin. The sense "threshing floor" (on which oxen trod out a circular path) probably is the original in Greek. The development to "disk" and then to "halo" would be via roundness. Sense of "light around the head of a holy person or deity" first recorded 1640s. As a verb from 1791 (implied in Haloed).

Source

Onoma

Well, while some usually suggest solar deities, I'd suggest it's neither solar nor lunar deities, but the properties of light itself, and how it was seen by ancient astronomers / priests

My reason would be for the fact that coronas are also visible around the moon, known as a moondog, or mock moon, scientific name : paraselene

Also for the reason that not all ancient societies were strictly based on lunar or solar worship, but sometimes both at the same time, or even in a triad like the Temple of Bel, having lunar, solar and a third " god ", a " Ba'al " ( Lord / master / priest )

moon.PNG

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The halo replaces the aura in people who are spiritually advanced according to my understanding.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I think it came from the cult of the Sun.
It was a pagan cult very popular when Christian theology was being condensed.

Rather like adding greenery and feasts to the invented holiday "Christmas". Put a bunch of pagan flourishes on Christianity and it's easier to assimilate the natives. Or eggs and bunnies to "Easter".
Tom

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yes, it must be tough. Has she taken lessons on colour interpretation?

Actually, I'm the one that's the student; she just moves through life as a natural and innocent phenomena. I look things up (and go on crazy forums, lol) to find out these things for her. I tell people that I am her 'Tonto'. I have learned a great deal, and seen a great deal over the last almost 50 years (the tells I could tell). She also talks to those who have passed so you can imagine how pragmatic I have to be. But, it hasn't been dull, and it only gets better the older we get.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Actually, I'm the one that's the student; she just moves through life as a natural and innocent phenomena. I look things up (and go on crazy forums, lol) to find out these things for her. I tell people that I am her 'Tonto'. I have learned a great deal, and seen a great deal over the last almost 50 years (the tells I could tell). She also talks to those who have passed so you can imagine how pragmatic I have to be. But, it hasn't been dull, and it only gets better the older we get.
Yes, it does sound interesting. My Gurus (one deceased, one living, same lineage) read auras. Always kind of scary knowing that. So does she read yours?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Yes, it does sound interesting. My Gurus (one deceased, one living, same lineage) read auras. Always kind of scary knowing that. So does she read yours?

She's had this ability since she was a little girl, so she doesn't try to 'read' auras because she takes them for granted. However, there have been a couple of times that the auras were so different and strange that she did make note of them. I use to ask her what color my aura was, and when she would tell me I'd hold breath for a moment and ask her, "What color is it now?". She would just roll her eyes and move on.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
She's had this ability since she was a little girl, so she doesn't try to 'read' auras because she takes them for granted. However, there have been a couple of times that the auras were so different and strange that she did make note of them. I use to ask her what color my aura was, and when she would tell me I'd hold breath for a moment and ask her, "What color is it now?". She would just roll her eyes and move on.
Different, as in incredibly dark, or as in incredibly light, and beautiful?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Different, as in incredibly dark, or as in incredibly light, and beautiful?

From how she has described them to me, most auras are consistent in color and vibrations. However, there were two time that I can remember when the darkness of a person's aura was so out of the ordinary that it bothered her.

Serious question: What's her take on "why" they're still around? IMO, "unfinished business"; finish the business, move on.

More or less (and it's not like the Hollywood BS). Again, this is from my perspective, but it's usually one of two scenarios. First, it's usually a loved one passing along reassurance that they're okay and not in pain (or not tangled in the emotional baggage that we tend to carry in our 'living' existence).This is what I have seen as a two-party communication. Secondly, and this comes from newly departed, the'entity' is confused; they don't realize they have passed (especially if it's sudden). It seems they can 'move on' after she tells them what happened and it's okay to pass. This is more one-on-one with her. BTW , before you say anything, I know how crazy all this sounds. After being in on most of these experiences first hand, I can only say that I don't "not believe". The downside to all this is that she hears what she calls "the chatter" constantly. When she allows one 'entity' (my word) to come through, they all want tot come through. It took her a long time to accept this gift(?), and to be able to control the access of the entities. Secondly, I was afraid that she was opening herself to be accessed by 'dark energies' (again my word, and again "crazy town" I know). However, after being in on these sessions for the few years, I have reason to believe that she is 'protected' by those close to her that have already passed.

But to answer your question, yes, that's about as close as we can come to describing this stuff. Again, it's not like a Hollywood spook movie, and, for the most part it becomes as mundane as having a conversation with your next door neighbor. But I could go on all night with stories like this, and please don't get me started about the orbs.

Terry Sampson

BTW , before you say anything, I know how crazy all this sounds.
Heads up: It doesn't sound crazy to me.
this is from my perspective, but it's usually one of two scenarios.
Thanks. Makes sense to me. There are, I suspect, a couple other scenarios, but the "I'm okay" farewell message and the "WTF? Where am I?" message seem reasonable to me.
I don't know much about the full range of reasons, but I am aware of an instance in which the deceased only had a simple message for a living person. I enjoy telling the story because I knew the deceased and the person that the message was for, very well. The deceased was my mother-in-law, the message was for her/our next door neighbor. The fascinating aspect of the story, IMO, is that the messenger was the next-door neighbor's autistic grandson. The message? It was a simple apology.

don't get me started about the orbs.
To the best of my memory and knowledge, I've never seen them, although a nephew once told me that he saw them when he was very young (under five). Because I've never seen them myself and, other than my nephew, don't know anyone who has admitted to seeing them, I've never "researched" them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
From how she has described them to me, most auras are consistent in color and vibrations. However, there were two time that I can remember when the darkness of a person's aura was so out of the ordinary that it bothered her.

More or less (and it's not like the Hollywood BS). Again, this is from my perspective, but it's usually one of two scenarios. First, it's usually a loved one passing along reassurance that they're okay and not in pain (or not tangled in the emotional baggage that we tend to carry in our 'living' existence).This is what I have seen as a two-party communication. Secondly, and this comes from newly departed, the'entity' is confused; they don't realize they have passed (especially if it's sudden). It seems they can 'move on' after she tells them what happened and it's okay to pass. This is more one-on-one with her. BTW , before you say anything, I know how crazy all this sounds. After being in on most of these experiences first hand, I can only say that I don't "not believe". The downside to all this is that she hears what she calls "the chatter" constantly. When she allows one 'entity' (my word) to come through, they all want tot come through. It took her a long time to accept this gift(?), and to be able to control the access of the entities. Secondly, I was afraid that she was opening herself to be accessed by 'dark energies' (again my word, and again "crazy town" I know). However, after being in on these sessions for the few years, I have reason to believe that she is 'protected' by those close to her that have already passed.

But to answer your question, yes, that's about as close as we can come to describing this stuff. Again, it's not like a Hollywood spook movie, and, for the most part it becomes as mundane as having a conversation with your next door neighbor. But I could go on all night with stories like this, and please don't get me started about the orbs.

Not crazy to me either. In fact it goes right along with my Guru's teachings on the matter. Most certainly the 'confused with sudden passing'. I would venture to guess that some of the 'entities' (We would call them devas, or asuras, or just souls in the astral) don't stay around that long, yet others have been with her a very long time.

Clara Tea

Halo (religious iconography) - Wikipedia

KUSH: (The kingdom of Kush was Jewish, south of Egypt, and very rich, so not attacked because powerful) was likely the first to depict halos on their coins.

GREEK: Perseus slaying Medusa (400 BC) showed halos.

INDIA: 1600 BC.

CHINESE: Bronzes 450 AD.

Some might have been headdresses not halos.

When you get to heaven, don't play frisbie (they get feisty when you get their halos stuck in trees).

Horns are handy mounts for halos.