• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Were biblical humans less violent than modern humans?

Vaderecta

You can put your own constraints on this argument. 2 BC, 200 BC, 100 AD... What are your thoughts? Were ancient people less or more violent than humans today? Was a larger percentage of the total population being killed and raped then or today?

Is civilization getting more violent or less violent?

Axe Elf

Prophet
People are pretty much still the same selfish, self-centered people now that they were then--and selfish people do things that hurt other people. Crime statistics don't mean much in terms of determining if people are more or less violent, because they could reflect all kinds of counfounding variables--the effectiveness of law enforcement, the fastidiousness of reporting crimes, etc. So I don't think your question can be meaningfully answered as written, but I think it's fair to say that human nature is the same now as it was then.

Reactions: Vee

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe
You can put your own constraints on this argument. 2 BC, 200 BC, 100 AD... What are your thoughts? Were ancient people less or more violent than humans today? Was a larger percentage of the total population being killed and raped then or today?

It depends upon where one lives on how violent people are.

But then again, I really don't know how violent people were "back then". It's not like they kept crime statistics or anything.

Vaderecta

People are pretty much still the same selfish, self-centered people now that they were then--and selfish people do things that hurt other people. Crime statistics don't mean much in terms of determining if people are more or less violent, because they could reflect all kinds of counfounding variables--the effectiveness of law enforcement, the fastidiousness of reporting crimes, etc. So I don't think your question can be meaningfully answered as written, but I think it's fair to say that human nature is the same now as it was then.

I should have included this video in my original post.

The surprising decline in violence

That said I dont think your assessment of human nature holds much water. People back then had very different challenges then we do today. Violence in the usa declined preciptiously after roe vs wade. Not saying that is the cause but food for thought.

Vaderecta

It depends upon where one lives on how violent people are.

But then again, I really don't know how violent people were "back then". It's not like they kept crime statistics or anything.

Take a look at what evidence we do have though. It looks like humans are getting better. Now that could all change but so far it looks like the better we become at killing each other the less we want to do it.

Axe Elf

Prophet
That said I dont think your assessment of human nature holds much water.

I wasn't asking for your opinion, I was answering your request for information.

People back then had very different challenges then we do today.

It doesn't matter what the challenges are; our selfish human nature is still the "original sin" that separates us from God and His commands to love Him and love each other.

Violence in the usa declined preciptiously after roe vs wade.

Did it? Or did the victims change from marginalized young adults to unborn babies?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I should have included this video in my original post.

The surprising decline in violence

That said I dont think your assessment of human nature holds much water. People back then had very different challenges then we do today. Violence in the usa declined preciptiously after roe vs wade. Not saying that is the cause but food for thought.
Awe, spoiler alert, man! Yes, man is less violent now than probably any time in its past. Civilization allows us to work together for a solution rather than working against each other. And as much as the headlines seem to indicate an increase in violence a study of the statistics belies that claim.

Vaderecta

I wasn't asking for your opinion, I was answering your request for information.

It doesn't matter what the challenges are; our selfish human nature is still the "original sin" that separates us from God and His commands to love Him and love each other.

Did it? Or did the victims change from marginalized young adults to unborn babies?

So all of human nature is selfish and a product of human sin? You didn't ask for my opinion but I started this thread and asked that of everyone and you obliged.

Your entire reponse is an attack without merit. God speed young man. I wanted to discuss the topic.

Vaderecta

Awe, spoiler alert, man! Yes, man is less violent now than probably any time in its past. Civilization allows us to work together for a solution rather than working against each other. And as much as the headlines seem to indicate an increase in violence a study of the statistics belies that claim.

My bad... humans do seem to be getting less violent. That is my own research but any time I mention it I seem to get a lot of push back and claims that our world is now more evil and collapsing etc etc and I just don't see evidence for these claims. Maybe I am missing something? News consumption often gives people a skewwed view of reality.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
My bad... humans do seem to be getting less violent. That is my own research but any time I mention it I seem to get a lot of push back and claims that our world is now more evil and collapsing etc etc and I just don't see evidence for these claims. Maybe I am missing something? News consumption often gives people a skewwed view of reality.

Many religions rely on an every worsening Earth when the opposite is generally true. And bad news always sells better than good news. Bad events will be sensationalized, good ones will be at the end of the program. Perhaps that is a good thing since it motivates us to continually strive to improve. I don't like the idea of brushing off mass killings simply because the overall murder rate is down.

Axe Elf

Prophet
So all of human nature is selfish and a product of human sin?

Human nature is selfishness; God's nature is love. Hate is not the opposite of love (even God hates); selfishness is. Therefore, human nature is the cause of (not a product of) human sin (separation from God).

"For the love of money is the root of all evil." --1 Timothy 6:10

Vaderecta

Many religions rely on an every worsening Earth when the opposite is generally true. And bad news always sells better than good news. Bad events will be sensationalized, good ones will be at the end of the program. Perhaps that is a good thing since it motivates us to continually strive to improve. I don't like the idea of brushing off mass killings simply because the overall murder rate is down.

I don't want to brush off mass killings either. It just seems like many less people are subjected to violence in modern times than they were in biblical times. Rules have changed and we are far more civilized. Even with the advanced tools we have now it seems less people are dying. Not that I support current violence at all but things seem to be improving.

Vaderecta

Human nature is selfishness; God's nature is love. Hate is not the opposite of love (even God hates); selfishness is. Therefore, human nature is the cause of (not a product of) human sin (separation from God).

So you know god and know that he hates. Good for you. Not sure what or how your personal beliefs add anything to the conversation. Keep knowing things that are impossible to know and telling people you know those things and therefore you know or whatever you think that sentence means. I am not going to argue with you. You already know this.

Axe Elf

Prophet
So you know god and know that he hates.

The Bible tells us that God hates, so anyone who believes the Bible knows that God hates.

"And I hated Esau..." --Malachi 1:3

"Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated" --Romans 9:13

"These six things the Lord hates..." --Proverbs 6:16

Not sure what or how your personal beliefs add anything to the conversation.

Prophets can help people sort out the difficult questions.

Keep knowing things that are impossible to know and telling people you know those things

Yeah, that's what prophets do--although like I said, knowing that God hates is possible for anyone who believes the Bible.

I am not going to argue with you.

That would be a wise choice.

Vaderecta

The Bible tells us that God hates, so anyone who believes the Bible knows that God hates.

"And I hated Esau..." --Malachi 1:3

"Jacob I have loved, but Esau I have hated" --Romans 9:13

"These six things the Lord hates..." --Proverbs 6:16

Prophets can help people sort out the difficult questions.

Yeah, that's what prophets do--although like I said, knowing that God hates is possible for anyone who believes the Bible.

That would be a wise choice.

Prophets are not a thing. Again you are not adding anything to this conversation. You are pushing some weird aggresive agenda that proves what? You know that god hates? Cool. Go with your hateful god and collude to be more useful in this thread.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

The statistics show that civilization is getting less violent. In times past, for example, humans were skinned and the skins used in religious ceremonies.

And we're living in the longest period of relative peace in recorded history.

Even the crime rate is on average going down but not of course in a straight line.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Prophets are not a thing.

Of course they are not a "thing." Prophets are persons with the spiritual gift of prophecy.

Again you are not adding anything to this conversation. You are pushing some weird aggresive agenda that proves what? You know that god hates?

I was educating you on the uniformity of selfish human nature throughout history, which is what you asked about. If you're not learning anything from it, that's on you, not me.

Vaderecta

The statistics show that civilization is getting less violent. In times past, for example, humans were skinned and the skins used in religious ceremonies.

And we're living in the longest period of relative peace in recorded history.

Even the crime rate is on average going down but not of course in a straight line.

And the time is so short. Dinosaurs outlived us. (So did every other homo species) We really haven't been here that long to draw any real conclusions. I get that. Things so far seem to be improving but who knows what the future holds.

Vaderecta

Of course they are not a "thing." Prophets are persons with the spiritual gift of prophecy.

I was educating you on the uniformity of selfish human nature throughout history, which is what you asked about. If you're not learning anything from it, that's on you, not me.

Bible Verses About The Hatred Of God

You were googling what I wrote. I grew up with the bible and can recall lectures on most of the scriptures you are quoting. You are very full of yourself and still not adding a thing to the thread but defending instead yourself.

Audie

Veteran Member

Well! So sayeth!