• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welsh test scores

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It does not say reading in English, just reading. My assumption is it is tested on reading in Welsh, for those taught in Welsh.
Then that wouldn't make sense. So how can you compare as standardized test are scored on a mean.

I can't imagine parents sending kids in 2020 to a Welsh ONLY speaking school completely jeopardizing their ability to function in the mainstream of UK society.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Then that wouldn't make sense. So how can you compare as standardized test are scored on a mean.

I can't imagine parents sending kids in 2020 to a Welsh ONLY speaking school completely jeopardizing their ability to function in the mainstream of UK society.
But that is exactly what this is about. These children go to schools in which Welsh is the language spoken, just as in France the lessons are all in French. So the reading tests will be done in Welsh.

No doubt there are also English lessons, just as there are in French schools, in which English is treated as a second language.

In South Kensington in London you can attend the Lycee Charles de Gaulle which is a French school. Although it is mainly intended for French families living in London, some English children attend it and do very well, becoming bilingual. This is something similar, but in Welsh.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
But that is exactly what this is about. These children go to schools in which Welsh is the language spoken, just as in France the lessons are all in French. So the reading tests will be done in Welsh.

No doubt there are also English lessons, just as there are in French schools, in which English is treated as a second language. But that would be something else.
I reread the article and it didn’t say what language the reading test was in. Standardized makes me think English and to compare scores it seems it would have to be the same test or else we’re not apples to apples.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I reread the article and it didn’t say what language the reading test was in. Standardized makes me think English and to compare scores it seems it would have to be the same test or else we’re not apples to apples.
I'm pretty sure that is wrong. You can perfectly well assess reading ability in different languages and compare them.