• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Welsh Government Bans Parents from Smacking Their Kids as Punishment"

Skwim

Veteran Member

"The Welsh government has officially adopted a bill that will punish parents who say, in court, that they hit their kids in order to discipline them.

(Which also means, until now, it was perfectly acceptable to use “reasonable punishment” in defense of child abuse.)

The “Abolition of Defence of Reasonable Punishment” Act, adopted this week, will go into effect in 2022. [Why the wait?]

shutterstock_1445219732.jpg

[Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services Julie Morgan] said: “Physical punishment has no place here in Wales — there is no such thing as a loving smack and no justifiable reason for a big person to hit a little person.

“I’m delighted we have voted to change the law to help protect our children and future generations.”

All of this is perfectly sensible. And yet a coalition of religious and conservative leaders fought this bill for years, arguing that they had every right to hit their kids as a form of discipline. One website even used the argument “Parents should decide whether to smack their children, not the government.” That group also referred to the bill as — no joke — an “assault on parents.”

Another conservative politician argued that, if parents can’t hit their kids in Wales, people may no longer take vacations there.

Welsh Conservative AM Janet Finch-Saunders said last year the ban could deter parents from England from holidaying in Wales.

She said: “I have concerns about raising awareness. I don’t want people to be thinking, ‘I’m not going to Wales as I’m unclear about the law and I can’t reasonably parent my children’."
source

Thoughts?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

"The Welsh government has officially adopted a bill that will punish parents who say, in court, that they hit their kids in order to discipline them.

(Which also means, until now, it was perfectly acceptable to use “reasonable punishment” in defense of child abuse.)

The “Abolition of Defence of Reasonable Punishment” Act, adopted this week, will go into effect in 2022. [Why the wait?]

shutterstock_1445219732.jpg

[Deputy Minister for Health and Social Services Julie Morgan] said: “Physical punishment has no place here in Wales — there is no such thing as a loving smack and no justifiable reason for a big person to hit a little person.

“I’m delighted we have voted to change the law to help protect our children and future generations.”

All of this is perfectly sensible. And yet a coalition of religious and conservative leaders fought this bill for years, arguing that they had every right to hit their kids as a form of discipline. One website even used the argument “Parents should decide whether to smack their children, not the government.” That group also referred to the bill as — no joke — an “assault on parents.”

Another conservative politician argued that, if parents can’t hit their kids in Wales, people may no longer take vacations there.

Welsh Conservative AM Janet Finch-Saunders said last year the ban could deter parents from England from holidaying in Wales.

She said: “I have concerns about raising awareness. I don’t want people to be thinking, ‘I’m not going to Wales as I’m unclear about the law and I can’t reasonably parent my children’."
source

Thoughts?

In Denmark we had that debate years ago and it didn't evolve religion as far as I can it. It seems to be a question of culture in the end and not just religion as such.

Regards
Mikkel

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I have said for years that I am not having any more children until it is legal to tazer them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I've read some studies which show physical punishment does more harm than good. There is no reason to accept it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If anyone is interested in the anthropology of corporeal punishment, the available evidence from studies of the earth's last remaining "uncontaminated" hunting/gathering groups suggests that it was most likely rarely if ever used by our ancestors during most of our 250,000+ years on the planet. Seems to be something that only came into use with the rise of "civilizations". Basically, we did not evolve to be spanked -- which might be why scientific studies consistently find the consequences of its use on children are deeply problematic.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I thought it was already illegal in the UK, what do I know. Anyway, Finch-Saunders raises a very reasonable concern. {s******s}