• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well whaddya know…

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I’m a seeker...who know...obviously not me...until a few minutes ago

After reading a lot on the Religious Forums I just found out I am a seeker.

I have looked into many religions; Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto, Taoism, etc. and I do not honestly see a whole lot of differences (but maybe that is just me) and I will admit I like a lot of Taoist philosophy but yet I do not see myself as a taoist and I still have no idea what I am but I know I am not an atheist… I have at many times labeled myself an agnostic but even there I am not sure that applies.

Every late fall through winter, for years, I have had two things pop up. One was a desire to listen to more classical music and the other was a feeling that I needed to be on a more spiritual and or religious path and the second one grows stronger every year. It is not a calling to preach or become a monk or a minister or any religious leader, although I have looked into it and did once come darn close to going to Zen Mountain Monastery for an extended period of time.

I have come to the conclusion that my current job does not fit this path but I may be stuck with that bit based on time in and responsibilities that I now have. I also know I have a question forming that once asked, if ever asked, should help me along this path but it is only in the early stages so I don’t even really have the question formulated to ask and right now I am not sure I ever will, but I keep looking and thinking and maybe one day it will be there to actually ask

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

I have looked into many religions; Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto, Taoism, etc. and I do not honestly see a whole lot of differences (but maybe that is just me) and I will admit I like a lot of Taoist philosophy but yet I do not see myself as a taoist and I still have no idea what I am but I know I am not an atheist… I have at many times labeled myself an agnostic but even there I am not sure that applies.

Every late fall through winter, for years, I have had two things pop up. One was a desire to listen to more classical music and the other was a feeling that I needed to be on a more spiritual and or religious path and the second one grows stronger every year. It is not a calling to preach or become a monk or a minister or any religious leader, although I have looked into it and did once come darn close to going to Zen Mountain Monastery for an extended period of time.

I have come to the conclusion that my current job does not fit this path but I may be stuck with that bit based on time in and responsibilities that I now have. I also know I have a question forming that once asked, if ever asked, should help me along this path but it is only in the early stages so I don’t even really have the question formulated to ask and right now I am not sure I ever will, but I keep looking and thinking and maybe one day it will be there to actually ask

well, welcome to begin a seeker. ;)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That sounds great, but just remember that the only stupid question is the one you never ask. You might ask yourself what it is about the probable answer that holds you back from asking the question. Sounds a bit like hide and seek, and I don't mean that in a dismissive sense, but rather, as a simple observation. Welcome to the future. :drool:
[youtube]rL1oU6fH25w[/youtube]
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39

Last edited:

Wu Wei

well, welcome to begin a seeker. ;)

thanks

That sounds great, but just remember that the only stupid question is the one you never ask. You might ask yourself what it is about the probable answer that holds you back from asking the question. Sounds a bit like hide and seek, and I don't mean that in a dismissive sense, but rather, as a simple observation. Welcome to the future. :drool:

If I ever figure out the question I will ask it...but I sometimes feel like I am in a Douglas Adams book and I know the answer (example: the answer is 42) but I don't know the question. But I am guessing I know neither...or both..... I don't really know... I do know there is a question I need to ask and that is as far as I get....

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto, Taoism, etc. and I do not honestly see a whole lot of differences (but maybe that is just me)
You're not alone there. I hold the same view. :)

I have at many times labeled myself an agnostic but even there I am not sure that applies.
Agnostic Theist?

Wu Wei

I have decided that looking at individual religions and trying to figure out anything is to confusing and too granular so I have backed up for wider view…or possibly a sillier view…. I will have to start looking and see if it leads anywhere. I think I will take some time and review ethics as well as try and figure out what spirituality is and what that all means to me

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You could take the Belief-O-Matic test. Silly as it sounds, sometimes it hits the nail.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have looked into many religions; Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism, Buddhism, Shinto, Taoism, etc. and I do not honestly see a whole lot of differences

You're not alone there. I hold the same view. :)

I think the main differences are in practices, and are superficial. But that's probably the universalist in me talking. :p

cocolia42

I have decided that looking at individual religions and trying to figure out anything is to confusing and too granular so I have backed up for wider view…or possibly a sillier view…. I will have to start looking and see if it leads anywhere. I think I will take some time and review ethics as well as try and figure out what spirituality is and what that all means to me
Do you already know what you believe but not where you fit into the specific religions? Or are you still figuring out what your beliefs are as well?

Freedomelf

Sometimes stepping back and looking at the big picture not only hones the beliefs we already have, but helps us to discover others. Blessings to you on your path.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Looking and thinking. Why waste it? ;0)

Wu Wei

Do you already know what you believe but not where you fit into the specific religions? Or are you still figuring out what your beliefs are as well?

I have a basic belief it is more of where does it fit in and where is it taking me

Wu Wei

I kind of put them in the first post and your suggestion is a good one but I, for some strange reason, I feel the only way I will figure this out is by looking for it and finding it myself.

Wu Wei

After much looking I am finding I appear to be closely aligned with Philosophical Taoism

Wu Wei

About 6 years later, an update. I am finding I am more in line with Taoism (no surprise there) but surprisingly also Deism.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Lewis Black
he does a routine about God

seek it out