• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well Let Me Tell You What I Think!!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
My views are quite personal, and I tend to only share them when asked. However, I see others proclaim their views unsolicited, not only here but in real life as well (though it's substantially more common here than IRL).

Why do people feel the need to tell others what their beliefs or worldview consists of?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Isn't it an expectation or requirement with some to do so - part of proselytising/evangelising?
eg
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world.

joe1776

My views are quite personal, and I tend to only share them when asked. However, I see others proclaim their views unsolicited, not only here but in real life as well (though it's substantially more common here than IRL).

Why do people feel the need to tell others what their beliefs or worldview consists of?
What else are we supposed to do in a forum like this?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

For me its a way of testing them, finding new information for or against. I generally make sure the op indicates they are my belief. I have gotten many new ways of testing my beliefs from the RF and am grateful for it.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I think it's human nature to want to share

And I don't think sharing is the same as proselytising, I don't think it even comes close

There is a distinction to be made on making one's views publicly available for anyone who may be interested and shoving them onto people. E.g. you can make what you believe public without going around bothering people by knocking on peoples door handing out literiture

I'm interested in the opinions and beliefs of others and I imagine there are others like me. I think it is reasonable to assume that about a forum such as this

Were someone to post a concise and well-written manifesto here on RF then I would most likely read it

It is easy to share such things on a platform like RF and it is also easy to disregard them and not look into them

With me, I am preparing a manifesto. For discussion and interest. I'm not trying to set up my own religion or anything grandiose. Just sharing ideas and perhaps looking for feedback.

If you're interested, then great. If not, I don't care. You don't have to read it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Some people, not all. But you knew that.

I think it's ego, derived from insecurity, and varies by degrees. That can come from conditioning. For some folks, every post will have a reference to their belief system, a quote, something. Others mention it about half the time, still others rarely, or not at all.

For some it's also a belief, a command from God, a constant need to proselytise.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's human nature to want to share

And I don't think sharing is the same as proselytising, I don't think it even comes close

There is a distinction to be made on making one's views publicly available for anyone who may be interested and shoving them onto people. E.g. you can make what you believe public without going around bothering people by knocking on peoples door handing out literiture

I'm interested in the opinions and beliefs of others and I imagine there are others like me. I think it is reasonable to assume that about a forum such as this

Were someone to post a concise and well-written manifesto here on RF then I would most likely read it

It is easy to share such things on a platform like RF and it is also easy to disregard them and not look into them

With me, I am preparing a manifesto. For discussion and interest. I'm not trying to set up my own religion or anything grandiose. Just sharing ideas and perhaps looking for feedback.

If you're interested, then great. If not, I don't care. You don't have to read it.

Would you say that you make your views publicly available because you think they are correct, or more correct than the views of others? Or would you say you're looking for opinions of others so you can modify your views?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Maybe it is to seek confirmation that they are doing something right?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Would you say that you make your views publicly available because you think they are correct, or more correct than the views of others? Or would you say you're looking for opinions of others so you can modify your views?
I'm looking for the views and opinions of others, to help me discern whether or not my own views are correct, or at least make sense

I have always had an open mind and have always been open to chaining my mind and I believe that it's good and healthy to test one's views by seeing what others think of them

And I don't think of my own views as "being correct" - I think of them as "what I currently think"

I think it is cathartic, its a release, yelling what you think and believe, finally getting reactions and responses for it, or testing them out even. I never expose my beliefs in public, so doing so here (unsolicited) is a way to express and release the expression and also get feedback regarding it, in a safe way which only tarnishes my reputation here and doesn't really get connected to my person.

joe1776

Are you trying to answer my question with a question? Because that's really not how conversation works.
How does a conversation work? I wasn't aware that I was violating a conversation rule.

I can't think of a useful purpose for this forum if it isn't to express our views. Can you?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
How does a conversation work? I wasn't aware that I was violating a conversation rule.

I can't think of a useful purpose of this forum if it isn't to express our views. Can you?

Yes.

See how that works? A question is typically followed by an answer. ;)

My purpose in expressing myself, besides relieving myself of tension and testing how the response goes in a safer way, is to see if I can find support or like-minded people or make like-minded people who I might become closer to even.

Daemon Sophic

I can't think of a useful purpose for this forum if it isn't to express our views. Can you?
@SalixIncendium - Of course @joe1776 is correct.
This forum was created so that people can discuss religion, politics, news of the day etc....
Your OP is a little silly. If all of us sat at our keyboards, politely keeping “quiet”, then this form with immediately die.

As to your OP question; Why do people feel the need to tell others what their beliefs or worldview consists of? (emphasis added)
It is cathartic.
Also, since humans are social animals, we want to be understood, and use this forum to socialize via thought provoking (Yes, I’m being generous ;)) conversations.
Those with self-doubts want confirmation, and those without doubts want to proselytize.
Lastly, once OPs are posted, and thoughts have been bantered about, some of us “talk” in order to understand others, as well as to educate others.

I hope that helps. :)

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well...there are many threads here starting with "what's your religion?" Or " what's your take on...?"...
I think that's what Socrates used to do 24/7...he used to ask people those questions.
They didn't appreciate it...apparently...:p

I think it depends on the person.
I am curious about what others think.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Maybe it is to seek confirmation that they are doing something right?
IRL, that's often true. I have asked people: Do you actually want my opinion, or do you just want me to agree with your opinion? When I reflect on it, it's usually the second one. There are a few people who do recognise the value of someone else's opinion, especially on certain topics they know the other person has some expertise. For example, I can ask you about Sweden.

Same for religious discussions on here, because the individual is all happy, and will give you a 'like' if you agree, but if you dare say you disagree, no such thing. It's not real discussion of all you want is people to agree with you.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I don't know - I don't listen to them anyway. :oops: