• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well, I am reverting again.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Every once in a while I tend to revert back to the basis of my spirituality. This would be Taoism and Buddhism. I am a Ch'an Buddhist to be exact. I like following the breath more than focusing on the Dan Tien region however. Anyway that is off topic.

I was just curious if anyone tends to do this sometimes. The whole exploring other spiritual traditions and really getting into them, then realizing you have your head in the clouds and reverting back to the foundations of your spirituality.

Also any good tips on getting oneself to stick to a meditation routine? I don't like zazen, but I know it is important. I am generally pretty bad at getting myself to practice anything consistently. Perhaps some fun or interesting ways you make yourself practice?

Also also feel free to share any interesting encounters you have had with any other spiritual traditions. Both directly or indirectly.

I guess this is kinda the random Buddhist/Taoist/Dharmic Religion story/advice thread.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Yes Herr Heinrich, all religious traditions have their own way of directing the disciple to the transcendent truth and it sounds like all is unfolding for you as it should. But the last part of the journey must be done alone regardless of religious affiliation or not and there is little that can be shared in any event for one is dealing with reality itself beyond the conceptual representation of it that is dealt with in scripture, theology,....and RF discussions. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm the same Herr. I want to keep my path simple. I have a love for Buddhism and I've felt as though going into other religions, I'm getting into stuff too alien to me. I think it's nice to be able to go into other religions, test them out, and see if they bring you anything. You can always bring something back from a new religion, even if it is just knowledge, and it's nice to be able to have that thing to go back afterwards.

Will you be keeping your theist tag, by the way? I'm curious. :) I find theistic Buddhism to be fascinating.

You are the same as me in that I too struggle to practice something consistently. The only advice I can offer it to persevere and if possible, make a time to do it--doesn't have to be a "clock" time, but it can be for example, half hour before you go to sleep.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think it's a very good thing to explore around and I would encourage anyone to do so. True this can prove as a distraction in that the necessary discipline required is not met, but for the long term I think there is a real benefit derived from doing so in that you get to see, explore, and test for yourself in discovering what essentially works and what does not and subsequently returning to Buddhist practice for another go around.

Zazen although very simple to do is also something that can actually prove to be very hard and difficult whenever a person attempts to dedicate him/herself to sitting daily, even when there is no motivation or desire to do so for one reason or other one needs to do so anyway. I see and regard this as foremost the one thing a person initially needs to overcome in that once you do so and stay dedicated with Zazen, no matter what and how you feel, you will eventually discover and realise a fundamental and significant truth in maintenance of this discipline. You essentially wont be able to "proceed" otherwise.

The best advise I can give is that of keeping persistent and determined in maintaining a daily Zazen session and simply not missing it. Believe it or not, the frustrations involved in maintaining a daily sitting regiment is "birth pains" towards full realization. Good luck.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I'm the same Herr. I want to keep my path simple. I have a love for Buddhism and I've felt as though going into other religions, I'm getting into stuff too alien to me. I think it's nice to be able to go into other religions, test them out, and see if they bring you anything. You can always bring something back from a new religion, even if it is just knowledge, and it's nice to be able to have that thing to go back afterwards.

Will you be keeping your theist tag, by the way? I'm curious. :) I find theistic Buddhism to be fascinating.

You are the same as me in that I too struggle to practice something consistently. The only advice I can offer it to persevere and if possible, make a time to do it--doesn't have to be a "clock" time, but it can be for example, half hour before you go to sleep.

I love finding things to bring back. There are so many interesting world views to learn from even a little bit. It broadens one's understanding of how different minds work.

I think I am going to keep my theist tag until I feel differently. I consider myself a Pantheist of sorts. I see Nature and the Universe as being worthy of reference only. I will not say that different gods and goddesses don't exist, but I also won't say that they will. Even if they are I wouldn't worship them. It would be like worshiping myself in my mind. I also don't really worship Nature I just revere and respect it.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I think it's a very good thing to explore around and I would encourage anyone to do so. True this can prove as a distraction in that the necessary discipline required is not met, but for the long term I think there is a real benefit derived from doing so in that you get to see, explore, and test for yourself in discovering what essentially works and what does not and subsequently returning to Buddhist practice for another go around.

Zazen although very simple to do is also something that can actually prove to be very hard and difficult whenever a person attempts to dedicate him/herself to sitting daily, even when there is no motivation or desire to do so for one reason or other one needs to do so anyway. I see and regard this as foremost the one thing a person initially needs to overcome in that once you do so and stay dedicated with Zazen, no matter what and how you feel, you will eventually discover and realise a fundamental and significant truth in maintenance of this discipline. You essentially wont be able to "proceed" otherwise.

The best advise I can give is that of keeping persistent and determined in maintaining a daily Zazen session and simply not missing it. Believe it or not, the frustrations involved in maintaining a daily sitting regiment is "birth pains" towards full realization. Good luck.

Thank you very much for the encouragement. If figured that once I get myself practicing I will eventually fall into a routine and not be so opposed to zazen.