• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Well being is going down in tandom with rising temperatures

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
On average, the global population experienced three times as many extreme heat days in 2020 than it did in 2008, Gallup reported, and well-being decreased globally by 6.5% in that time as well.

Researchers also found that because the climate crisis is pushing temperatures even hotter, global well-being could decrease by another 17% by the end of this decade.

First on CNN: The rise in extreme heat has already zapped our well-being. It's about to get worse - CNN

"While people understand that climate change is awful in so many ways, when people start to understand how it affects their daily lives -- and particularly their health and well-being -- I find that is a really good stimulant to political motivation for action and change," Parks, who is not involved with the research, told CNN.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Interesting statistics (whatever well-being means) but how is it known that they are related?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"While people understand that climate change is awful in so many ways, when people start to understand how it affects their daily lives -- and particularly their health and well-being -- I find that is a really good stimulant to political motivation for action and change," Parks, who is not involved with the research, told CNN.

I agree that human suffering and misery can often stimulate political motivation for action and change. We seem to be seeing more and more political dissension and unrest in recent years, in the U.S. and in other countries.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well being and climate change with time. Krishna said that one should not be disturbed by it. World still is in a cold phase.

amorphous_constellation

apparently the yangtze river is going very dry, even revealing buddhist statues hidden for centuries. The danube apparently is revealing nazi warships. And I heard something out there about the 'hunger stones' being revealed

wellwisher

On average, the global population experienced three times as many extreme heat days in 2020 than it did in 2008, Gallup reported, and well-being decreased globally by 6.5% in that time as well.

Researchers also found that because the climate crisis is pushing temperatures even hotter, global well-being could decrease by another 17% by the end of this decade.

First on CNN: The rise in extreme heat has already zapped our well-being. It's about to get worse - CNN

CNN is fake news central. Their declining audience; post Trump, feeds off their opinion propaganda. We should study the correlation between fake news doom and gloom reporting, and human well being. Bad information will create the stress of doubt and/or the stress of overcompensation.

Is anyone aware that the average temperature of the earth over the last 500,000 million and also over the last 1 million years is about 15 F warmer than the earth of today? Today, we are still part of the last cooling or glacial cycle. The earth follows a pattern of warming then cooling, and them warming back up. The current average world temperature increase is bringing us back closer to the earth's normal. Even if we get rid of all the oil, expect average global temperatures to rise. Humans may contribute, but the earth is running the show.

The graph below is from the NOAA web site; US Government Agency for oceans and atmosphere; climate. This graph is based on data from the Smithsonian Institute which is US museum of applied and natural science history. We are now at the little blue dot on the far right. The current world average temperature is 60 F.

The glaciers have not disappeared, as fast as predicted 30 years ago, since we are still in a glacial period; blue lines below the gray line. We are starting to warm up, quickly, from the extreme cold of thousands years ago; lowest blue line on the right. This warm up started way before there were official science record using thermometers in 1880. Even if we follow the hype and blame oil, the earth will get hotter anyway. Will humans rest on their pretentious laurels and be less prepared to cope in the earth's natural future? Will we be able to keep with the demand for AC; air conditioning, if we get rid of fossil fuels; gas, coal and oil? Or will be get world wide rolling blackouts like in California?

If you look below, the earth has spent more time without glaciers than with glaciers; in the red. Why isn't the consensus of science allowed to look at this graph or take natural cycles into account? I have no faith in a consensus of gravy train riders, unless they answer beyond saying this geological data is Russian or Right Wing propaganda. That is designed to end discussion, less the scam, fall apart.

graph-from-scott-wing-620px.png

Modern human civilization, with its permanent agriculture and settlements, has developed over just the past 10,000 years or so. The period has generally been one of low temperatures and relative global (if not regional) climate stability. Compared to most of Earth’s history, today is unusually cold; we now live in what geologists call an interglacial—a period between glaciations of an ice age.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

This seems to be a claim that when bad things happen,
there are positive consequences stemming from people's
reactions. This doesn't appear to be a claim that well
being & climate change correlate.
Moreover, if the climate does warm, some things happen....
- Sea levels rise, flooding costal areas, including many big cities.
- Tropical diseases move northward.
- Drought in productive farmland.
- Forced population migration.
This situation strikes me as not enhancing well being.

Truthseeker

Interesting statistics (whatever well-being means) but how is it known that they are related?
Well, in the article it tells how this was done:

Over 15 years, Gallup surveyed 1.75 million people across 160 countries and asked them about their sense of well-being. Using temperature data from NASA, researchers looked at extreme heat in the 30 days before respondents were interviewed and then compared that to their life-evaluation responses.

A single extreme heat day was associated with an average well-being decrease of 0.56%.

Truthseeker

This seems to be a claim that when bad things happen,
there are positive consequences stemming from people's
reactions. This doesn't appear to be a claim that well
being & climate change correlate.
Moreover, if the climate does warm, some things happen....
- Sea levels rise, flooding costal areas, including many big cities.
- Tropical diseases move northward.
- Drought in productive farmland.
- Forced population migration.
This situation strikes me as not enhancing well being.
Yeah, this is but one study about about hot temperatures and people feeling less well-being. It probably is easier to show in statistics the correlation with temperatures than the other consequences you mention.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Do you think that is why people are more hateful toward each other and doing really dumb things that make the news?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

What's wrong with a beach chair , a Pina colada, and Caribbean steel drum music as you lounge under a palm tree? In New York?

Sounds like heat has its benefits where well being is completely up to its user.

Think of the reduced emissions from not having to travel all the way to the Caribbean!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I like people who say we are going to turn into Venus!

Here's the expert assessment with flair!! ...

Earth will turn into a Venus-like hell earlier than previously thought

Also this little snippet....

According to Robinson and Goldblatt, it’s likely impossible for human activity to induce a runaway greenhouse effect. To do so, we’d have to raise the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere to around 30,000 parts per million. This is considerably more that could be attained even if we burned all the available fossil fuel reserves on the planet — 10 times more to be exact.

This is why I don't really take the alarmists all that seriously with their asinine political rethoric and terrible end time predictions. Human beings cannot terraform an entire planet to that far extreme.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Earth warmed up after the ice age, and it is going up rapidly now comparatively speaking due to humans.
See @wellwisher's post 7. We are still in the cold phase. Let us face it squarely. Species will adapt to whatever environment is there. And those which do not, will perish. Humans are no exception.
Do you think that is why people are more hateful toward each other and doing really dumb things that make the news?
The dumbest thing is to come up with a new religion. That increases the strife. IMHO, had there been no religions with messengers from God/Allah, starting with Akhenaten, Zoroaster, Moses, we would have been much happier.

Last edited:

Truthseeker

Species will adapt to whatever environment is there. And those which do not, will perish. Humans are no exception.
A lot species face extinction, though there are other factors other than climate change that is causing that. Mostly species dying out is caused by us encroaching on where they live. We will adapt eventually, but how much turmoil and death in the meantime?

I didn't respond to Wellwisher's post because he thinks climate warming is fake news, which I don't think it is. I don't try to futilely convince someone who has been brainwashed by actual fake propaganda. Do you believe that climate change is fake news? If you do, I won't try to convince you otherwise, it's futile. Done that, it doesn't work. I prefer not to endlessly argue.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do you believe that climate change is fake news?
No. I do not believe that human interference is not a factor in current climate changes. We need to be as careful as possible for our own sake. But @wellwisher's graph in his post #7 also is correct. We are still in the cold-age. We may revert back into an ice-age very rapidly. We do not understand these changes very well. As one can see from the graph, climatic changes are very rapid.

They have caused five extinction events on earth when humans were not around, some failed Godly experiment. It is simplisistic to blame humans alone for climate changes. It is something bigger than us. Life existed on earth irrespective of whether polar ice-caps were there or not. At one time, Rhinos and Hippopotamis roamed in what is now France.

"The "Big Five" mass extinctions:

1. Ordovician–Silurian extinction events (End Ordovician or O–S): 450–440 Mya at the Ordovician–Silurian transition.
2. Late Devonian extinction 375–360 Ma near the Devonian–Carboniferous transition.
3. Permian–Triassic extinction event (End Permian) 252 Ma at the Permian–Triassic transition.
4. Triassic–Jurassic extinction event (End Triassic) 201.3 Ma at the Triassic–Jurassic transition. About 23% of all families, 48% of all genera (20% of marine families and 55% of marine genera) and 70% to 75% of all species became extinct. Dinosaurs come.
5. Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event (End Cretaceous, K–Pg extinction, or formerly K–T extinction) 66 Ma at the Cretaceous (Maastrichtian) – Paleogene (Danian) transition interval. Dinosaurs go.
Extinction event - Wikipedia

graph-from-scott-wing-620px.png

.............................^......................^..............................^............^.....................................^...................

Last edited: