• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If you read newspapers from around the world, especially the so-called "western world," one of the things that we see more and more of in nation after nation is angst bout immigration, fear of the "strangers among us." I think, to some extent under Trump, that is happening in the US, too, but we've seen it in England, Italy, Spain, Germany, the Scandinavian countries, Poland, Austria and elsewhere.

Yet, a new Environics research poll in Canada finds, just 6 months before a national election, that Canadian views on immigration just don't gibe with the rest. Where are our priorities, what do we think are the most important problems facing Canada today?

Economy/Interest Rates/Inflation/Deficit: 22%
Environment/climate change: 14%
Poor government/leadership 14%
Health care: 8%
Unemployment: 5%
Taxes: 5%
Education: 4%
Poverty/homelessness/social issues: 3%
Immigration/refugees: 3%

And here's what Canadians think of the impact on immigration (past and present) on Canada:

Making Canada a better place: 44%
Making Canada a worse place: 15%
No difference: 34%
Depends/don't know/NA: 7%
So between making Canada a better place, or no difference: 78%

I am not trying to brag, but it does seem that, for some reason, Canada remains a bit of an outlier in this area, and I have to say, the poll certainly represents my own basic feeling about my nation.

I'm just not sure what the reason for it is. Are Canadians, just perhaps, more open to really loving their neighbours (spelled the good old Canadian way)?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I imagine they don't watch a lot of FOX news in Canada.

180619-weill-tucker-carlson-hero_xdkmdy

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-29_15-44-40.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-29_15-44-40.jpeg
    14 KB · Views: 0

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If you read newspapers from around the world, especially the so-called "western world," one of the things that we see more and more of in nation after nation is angst bout immigration, fear of the "strangers among us." I think, to some extent under Trump, that is happening in the US, too, but we've seen it in England, Italy, Spain, Germany, the Scandinavian countries, Poland, Austria and elsewhere.

Yet, a new Environics research poll in Canada finds, just 6 months before a national election, that Canadian views on immigration just don't gibe with the rest. Where are our priorities, what do we think are the most important problems facing Canada today?

And here's what Canadians think of the impact on immigration (past and present) on Canada:

I am not trying to brag, but it does seem that, for some reason, Canada remains a bit of an outlier in this area, and I have to say, the poll certainly represents my own basic feeling about my nation.

I'm just not sure what the reason for it is. Are Canadians, just perhaps, more open to really loving their neighbours (spelled the good old Canadian way)?
Canada warns illegal immigrants from U.S.: "You will be apprehended"

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yeah, but they're from the U.S....what do you expect?
While i was up in Toronto I remember all the hubbabaloo over the Syrian refugees coming in. This was while Harper was still in office as prime minister. Point being is a lot of Canadians especially in Southern Ontario have a lot of the same concerns as us yanks have. Canada is no doubt a welcoming country, but I hear the bureaucracy and red tape is intense, same as in the US. It'll be interesting to see how Canada deals with the illegals as I figure there'll be a considerable amount of them bypassing the United States, and headed directly into Canada.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
All I know is a lot of new ethnic restaurants opened up in the last few years. And that is a good and tasty thing.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Canuckistan also has greater restrictions on immigrants than Ameristan.
The consequent superior results would result in greater satisfaction.
Should you take pride in being more discriminatory?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Canuckistan also has greater restrictions on immigrants than Ameristan.
The consequent superior results would result in greater satisfaction.
Should you take pride in being more discriminatory?

Sure. Isn't that the point of border protection?

Having said that, my country is both highly discriminatory, and guilty of mistreating applicants, all the while managing to have an unhealthy fear of 'boat people' anyway, so I'm sure as crap not throwing stones.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

And I thought you were welcoming us all to Canada. I was almost tempted to go; it's starting to get hot down here.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
All I know is a lot of new ethnic restaurants opened up in the last few years. And that is a good and tasty thing.
It's also true of around where I live in Northern California. We just went out to a Burmese restaurant the other day.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Sure. Isn't that the point of border protection?

Having said that, my country is both highly discriminatory, and guilty of mistreating applicants, all the while managing to have an unhealthy fear of 'boat people' anyway, so I'm sure as crap not throwing stones.

I remember in the 60's it was the Greeks and Italians that couldn't fit in and were going to change Australia for the worse, my parents and grandparents were always talking about how bad they were. Then in the 70's and 80s it was the Vietnamese, 90's it was the Lebanese, Naughties it was Asians in general, now it's Muslims. Fear is a great way to get yourself elected.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
That's funny because Canada was one if the countries that refused a friend of mine asylum. Then told his native countries government he was gay (which carries the death penalty in his country).

So now he's in a sanctuary city here in the U.S living the good life filing for citizenship.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Auditor General of Canada Sheila Fraser said in 2008 that Canada’s border agency had lost track of 41,000 individuals who had been ordered deported.[8]

Yesterday, two Mexican citizens, Pablo Daniel Gonzalez and Miguel Aguilar Gonzalez, were sentenced to two years for entering Canada illegally. The men had entered Canada along the BC-Washington border near the city of Abottsford, in December 2012. The men have been charged with violating Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). A third man, a resident of Canada, was charged with aiding and abetting their violation of this act but he will not face trial until March. The sentencing reminds us all that there are strict penalties for trying to get around Canada's immigration laws. The best thing to do is always to follow all laws and any instructions by CIC or CBSA personnel. These men could have avoided two year prison sentences by coming to Canada in a legal way. The ways you can come to Canada legally include:

Entering Canada Illegally Has Consequences

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
While i was up in Toronto I remember all the hubbabaloo over the Syrian refugees coming in. This was while Harper was still in office as prime minister. Point being is a lot of Canadians especially in Southern Ontario have a lot of the same concerns as us yanks have. Canada is no doubt a welcoming country, but I hear the bureaucracy and red tape is intense, same as in the US. It'll be interesting to see how Canada deals with the illegals as I figure there'll be a considerable amount of them bypassing the United States, and headed directly into Canada.
At that point, most of the "hullabaloo" was complaints that not enough refugees were being brought in and frustration with delays in the process.

At the time, the news was filled with stories of groups of people - often church congregations - banding together to sponsor refugee families to get them to Canada from refugee camps in the Middle East.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
That's funny because Canada was one if the countries that refused a friend of mine asylum. Then told his native countries government he was gay (which carries the death penalty in his country).

So now he's in a sanctuary city here in the U.S living the good life filing for citizenship.
I must say I'm quite surprised by what you say, and would like to know more. There's no question, of course, that every nation denies asylum to some, for whatever reasons, and Canada is no different. But I certainly have never heard of a case where a representative of the Government of Canada has provided that sort of information to any other nation. If I knew something more about that, I myself would raise a hue and cry (I fought for gay rights back in the seventies, and as you know, Canada has been quite successful in that regard.)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Auditor General of Canada Sheila Fraser said in 2008 that Canada’s border agency had lost track of 41,000 individuals who had been ordered deported.[8]

Yesterday, two Mexican citizens, Pablo Daniel Gonzalez and Miguel Aguilar Gonzalez, were sentenced to two years for entering Canada illegally. The men had entered Canada along the BC-Washington border near the city of Abottsford, in December 2012. The men have been charged with violating Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA). A third man, a resident of Canada, was charged with aiding and abetting their violation of this act but he will not face trial until March. The sentencing reminds us all that there are strict penalties for trying to get around Canada's immigration laws. The best thing to do is always to follow all laws and any instructions by CIC or CBSA personnel. These men could have avoided two year prison sentences by coming to Canada in a legal way. The ways you can come to Canada legally include:

Entering Canada Illegally Has Consequences
I'm sure that's all true, Ken, but that was hardly my point, which is that Canadians are generally more welcoming of immigrants and refugees than many nations. Of course we'd prefer people to behave in a legal way, because that's also part of who we are...but we are also, in general, somewhat more forgiving when circumstances drive people to take more desperate routes. (I'm not talking the courts, here, I'm talking the Canadian people in general.)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I'm sure that's all true, Ken, but that was hardly my point, which is that Canadians are generally more welcoming of immigrants and refugees than many nations. Of course we'd prefer people to behave in a legal way, because that's also part of who we are...but we are also, in general, somewhat more forgiving when circumstances drive people to take more desperate routes. (I'm not talking the courts, here, I'm talking the Canadian people in general.)
that's great!!