• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird Temptations

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I cannot carry a cup of hot water near someone without a temptation to throw it on them. I've never done it, but the temptation is always there. It makes me cringe.

Do you get any weird temptations that you would like to share?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In group settings, I often get temptations to blurt out the very last things a person should say in the situation. When the temptations come, I start clenching my teeth , furrowed brow, and looking angry, and people have thought that I was upset with them when I was only upset with myself for having such thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I cannot carry a glass of hot water near someone without a temptation to throw it on them. I've never done it, but the temptation is always there. It makes me cringe.

Do you get any weird temptations that you would like to share?
Sure. I often feel tempted/curious/interested in all kinds of things, like dropping pennies from towers, stealing, scaring people. My strangest temptation is to believe that I have powers. Less strange is a compulsion to step on sidewalk cracks by the same amount under each foot and when one has had more cracks to change pace to get the other one to catch up. It gets very complicated with slate tiles, impossible really. You can't do it without walking funny, but with a good new sidewalk you can do it.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
When looking down from Heights, I always get a temptation to jump. I'll never fully physically recover from actually doing it once.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
Driving near a puddle, and splashing people. I have done it on accident, once being coerced by a friend, but never on my own.

My dad did this also but his car stalled out when he hit the puddle during his days in college.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Not gonna lie. I've had these cringeworthy tendencies, and some more violent and sadistic than simply throwing scalding water on someone.

Many are rooted in vengeance for wrongdoing unto others, but when the thought arises, I cringe, shudder, squash the thought, and move on.

I'm thinking this is either a normal human thought process, or I am just a demented individual.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I strongly suspect it's a by-product of ordinary human consciousness.

I would agree. I often wonder what trigger compels the psychopaths that exist in our society to act upon these thoughts.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Driving near a puddle, and splashing people. I have done it on accident, once being coerced by a friend, but never on my own.

My dad did this also but his car stalled out when he hit the puddle during his days in college.
People who do that on purpose should get their tires slashed and windows busted out.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I would agree. I often wonder what trigger compels the psychopaths that exist in our society to act upon these thoughts.
Psychopaths don't have a conscience or sense of empathy to stop them. We may have highly violent or sadistic thoughts but we feel bad about them or consider the consequences of doing such things. We think about how the other person (or animal in some cases) might feel and so on. Psychopaths don't have that psychological "stop sign".

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, because two wrongs make a right...

...and three rights make a left.​
Well, obviously that's not a wrong in my book. As a person who has been a pedestrian all my life and in a city full of ****ty drivers who don't give a damn about others, I'm being quite kind enough as it is. They're lucky that all they get is some swear words and my middle finger.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, obviously that's not a wrong in my book. As a person who has been a pedestrian all my life and in a city full of ****ty drivers who don't give a damn about others, I'm being quite kind enough as it is.

So you're good with me paying the price for your vigilante justice.

Thank you for your contribution to society.