• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird phrases from where you live (or have lived) - AKA "colloquialisms!"

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Here in Lubbock, it's "hot enough to fry an egg on the sidewalk."

Which is sometimes factual - as a precocious young thing, I tried it in true MythBusters fashion!

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Carpentry & other terms in MI:
Weasel pi*s - oil

Greaze. Doesn't matter if it's oil or grease, it's called greaze.

Yoyo - tape measure
Stick rule. Even if it isn't.

Tin knocker - Heating & cooling guy
I've been called that one a few times. Normally by yankees.

Turd burgler - Drain cleaning guy
We call our plumbers turd herders. Never shake their hand, or bite their nails.

Sparky - The name of all electricians
Think that one's universal. And we always blame the electrician when something breaks, even if it isn't powered.

And there's all kinds of others:

Can't cook cold: when you burn yourself taking something off the stove.
Can't fix stupid: it's true, you really can't.
Waiting on ya with one hand: when your significant other/partner/coworker/friend starts anything without you

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Around here, we picked up some "southern" because of all the folk who moved to Ypsilanti to work in factories during WW2.
Now, Ypsilanti (pronounced Ip' sill anti) is known as "Ypsitucky".

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Couple more I've thought of, not sure if they've been mentioned before:

"Choice!" = awesome/cool/mean

Ae/aye/eh (Pronounced like the letter A).
"That's pretty choice eh?". Replacement for "isn't it?".
"Oh, aye!" as in, "oh, really?" - "Bro, I just bought a car!". "Oh aye!" "Yeah man, it's a [insert car make]"
Finally, it's also used on its own as "eh?" as in "pardon?"

A durry is a cigarette.
A dunny is the loo is the toilet.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Oh here's one, for a chest of drawers - chester drawers. And I mean, people are serious - it never occurs to them that it is actually a CHEST OF DRAWERS.

Chester draws is actually more how they say it.

Speaking of draws, that's also underwear. "Hold up a minute, let me get my draws on! Quit rangin' that dang doorbell like a damn fool!"

Also, intents and purposes = intensive purposes. :rolleyes:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
So, I just realized yesterday, when conversing with a friend who's originally from up north, that to "fix" something to eat is a southern thing. This one I totally did not realize until now. Of course "fixin's" are southern, but I didnt know that to "fix" a meal was southern.

This came about because I mentioned that I was probably going to fix some mozzarella sticks to eat, and my friend asked me "whats wrong with them, did they break?", And I said "har har, funny", then she explained that she really meant it, and I had to explain that it meant to prepare, or make, something to eat.

So, there's one so deeply ingrained that I didnt even realize it was regional :D

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
So, I just realized yesterday, when conversing with a friend who's originally from up north, that to "fix" something to eat is a southern thing. This one I totally did not realize until now. Of course "fixin's" are southern, but I didnt know that to "fix" a meal was southern.

This came about because I mentioned that I was probably going to fix some mozzarella sticks to eat, and my friend asked me "whats wrong with them, did they break?", And I said "har har, funny", then she explained that she really meant it, and I had to explain that it meant to prepare, or make, something to eat.

So, there's one so deeply ingrained that I didnt even realize it was regional :D

Wow, that's interesting, and you're right, I never would have thought of it. I say, "I'm going to fix lunch/dinner/whatever" all the time.

In fact, in Texas, we say, "I'm fixin' ta (or "fidna") fix lunch - whaddya want, red beans and rice or quesadillas or red cabbage and sauerbraten?" (East Texas food is a fabulous mix of Cajun, Mexican, and German cuisine.)

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Wow, that's interesting, and you're right, I never would have thought of it. I say, "I'm going to fix lunch/dinner/whatever" all the time.

In fact, in Texas, we say, "I'm fixin' ta (or "fidna") fix lunch - whaddya want, red beans and rice or quesadillas or red cabbage and sauerbraten?" (East Texas food is a fabulous mix of Cajun, Mexican, and German cuisine.)

Haha, "fixin' ta fix" :D. Yeah, its weird because I use it everyday, and it doesn't really sound all that southern to me.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm not really sure of words or phrases. Although for every "R" that people in New England don't pronounce, people here tend to make up for it by adding an "R" after a "WA" thus turning a car wash into a car warsh.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I'm not really sure of words or phrases. Although for every "R" that people in New England don't pronounce, people here tend to make up for it by adding an "R" after a "WA" thus turning a car wash into a car warsh.

I hate to criticize, because with my Southern drawl accented with a touch of Texas twang, I'm leaving myself wide open (or rather, waad open) ...but...

That "r" thing (car warsh for example) drives me absolutely INSANE!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
yeah but you gotta' love the Minnesotan way of saying anything related to swan... Swan. :D

We have a town here called Swanzy... we just prefer to say Swanzy. It's sooo exotic. :jiggy:

wa:do

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
[QUOTE
That "r" thing (car warsh for example) drives me absolutely INSANE![/QUOTE]
It drives me NUTS! I even used to do it myself until I realized that I was pronouncing a letter that isn't there, and I made it a point to quit doing it although I probably do slip up from time to time without noticing.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
People around here do say "ain't." Which it's always confused me when people say it's not a word, because if it wasn't a word then why would people know it to say it? It's even been around alot longer than "refudiate" but that one was named word of the day or maybe year by some dictionary or word-related group.
Myself, ain't is a word I hardly ever use outside of talking to friends or family. And even then I don't use it often.

Rakhel

I remember "fixin ta fix" or even "oughten " "You oughten a done that"
There is also "fetch me that there _____" Now up here "fetch" is something you would normally say to a dog. But in the south, you say it to the only person in the room who isn't too lazy to go get what you want..

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I think everyone says ain't... it's even in the dictionary now. :D
Is it really? I remember when I was in elementary school how the teachers would scold us for using that word, and telling us to quit using it and that it isn't a real word. And then for some reason I was lead to believe it was more of a "Hillybilly" thing. But wow if it's in the dictionary now I can't wait to drop it on someone in Scrabble.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Is it really? I remember when I was in elementary school how the teachers would scold us for using that word, and telling us to quit using it and that it isn't a real word. And then for some reason I was lead to believe it was more of a "Hillybilly" thing. But wow if it's in the dictionary now I can't wait to drop it on someone in Scrabble.
I remember using it against an English teacher, it was a riot.

Unfortunately you can't use it in scrabble... it's a contraction.

wa:do