• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird phrases from where you live (or have lived) - AKA "colloquialisms!"

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
OK, 'fess up - what kinda crazy ***** sayings do people in yore neck of the woods have a habit of throwing around?

I'll start with a few from the Arkansas/Louisiana/Texas part of the US (AKA the "ArkLaTex"):

"Did you hear that CATAMOUNT last night?" (Panther)

"Them red beans and rice were LARRUPIN' GOOD!" (Really, really good - slurpin' out of the bowl good in fact.)

"What are you fidna do?" ("Fixin' to do" as in "What are you about to go do?")

"I worked out so hard this morning that my meat hurts." (Thighs/gluteus maximus specifically - muscles generally)

Next!

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"Like YA-uh! Fer sure bra! Ya know? Uh huuuuuuuuuuh! Fer sure like! ? Uh wha? Like, for like sure like, ya know bra?"

Still haven't comprehended more than a smattering of the local dialect (and I've been here for like 25 years. like).

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I found out on the weekend that Americans (or at least the particular American I was meeting up with) don't know the word "laneway", and only understand "alley".

Me Myself

Back to my username
When you ask a girl to be your gf, you ask her to "be tied up with you" .

I took it to the literal sense and brought a red rope, with which we saw the movie tied to each other. It was nice while it lasted.

Kathryn

I found out on the weekend that Americans (or at least the particular American I was meeting up with) don't know the word "laneway", and only understand "alley".

Never heard the word "laneway" in my life. Till now.

My husband is a native Texan and he had never heard the word "catamount" for "panther" or "mountain lion."

By the way, cougars hold the world record for the number of names for the same animal. There are over 40 words that mean "panther" or "cougar" in English alone!

4consideration

Premium Member
Haven't heard this one is a while. (We didn't use this expression, but I knew several people who did.)

Ya gonna "get down?" It's not the sexual meaning of get down, but..."to get out of the car and go into the building." (A southern Louisiana carried-over reference to getting down off the horse/carriage.)

Kathryn

Fer sure. :p

But where's the ever-present cell phone?

Well, this song came out before everyone had a cell phone!

OK here are a few others:

"She's got a face like an iron skillet." (hard)

"She's a butter head - everything looks good but her head."

"Come over here and give me a Yankee dime." ("Give me a kiss.")

"My grandson is cuter than a bug's ear."

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh - one that I've heard isn't common in other places: "hydro".

Most of our electric power is hydroelectrically generated, so electric power is "hydro": we talk about "the hydro company" or "the hydro bill". "We just got one of those 'smart' hydro meters."

And hydro describes all household electricity, regardless of how it was generated. You'll hear people say things like "nuclear hydro station".

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
After moving to Virginia from Indiana, I find that a lot of people here call shopping carts "buggies". Also, in Indiana and the rest of the Midwest, soda is often referred to as "pop" (personally I've always preferred and used the term "soda").

Kathryn

After moving to Virginia from Indiana, I find that a lot of people here call shopping carts "buggies". Also, in Indiana and the rest of the Midwest, soda is often referred to as "pop" (personally I've always preferred and used the term "soda").

When I moved from Georgia to Texas, I had no idea what people were talking about when they talked about "soda." I wondered if it was like club soda or mineral water or something.

In the deep South, all "soda" or "pop" is called Coke.

"While you're at the store, can you pick up some Cokes?"

"What kind?"

"Dr Pepper!"

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
When I moved from Georgia to Texas, I had no idea what people were talking about when they talked about "soda." I wondered if it was like club soda or mineral water or something.

"What kind?"

"Dr Pepper!"

Ugh, I hate that. That's as retarded as using "Chevy" to refer to any automobile regardless of make.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Penguin - do you have "She's finer than frog's hair?"
Can't say I've ever heard that before. :D

"What kind?"

"Dr Pepper!"

It's all pop up here. If you said "soda", people would think you're talking about club soda.