• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird introductions?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So I thought it might be fun to share experiences of being introduced to something (or someone) that’s very popular but in different contexts.
For example many people in America might not have been aware of who Hugh Laurie is outside of House (at least before House became super popular.) There’s even the infamous maybe true story of I think the director or casting agent being so convinced that only an American could pull off a convincing American accent he forbade British applicants. Which would be a very amusing first meeting to witness, admittedly.

I was actually introduced to a lot of random scenes from various Disney movies before I actually saw the movies.
Now in Australia, Disney has or perhaps had a few more restrictions than in the States due to distribution rights that our country had to obtain.
So instead of a channel dedicated to Disney ala the Disney Channel, our channels would just show the random Disney shows they managed to get the distribution rights to at age appropriate time slots. (Unless one could afford Foxtel, which was our version of cable until streaming became a thing.)
Anyway, there was this anthology show. I’m not sure if it was an edited version or it was just redistributed show straight from the States. It was called the Wonderful World of Disney. It didn’t air for very long, maybe it aired longer in the states and we couldn’t afford it. I don’t know.
Either way when I was very small my parents taped this special episode it aired which was supposed to be in celebration of the Olympic Games at the time. (Early 90s.)
And I was obsessed with said tape as a little kid. It took various scenes from Disney movies and even some old Shorts that centred around “sports.” Like the scene where Bambi goes “ice skating” in the winter. And the football/soccer scene from Bedknobs and Broomsticks. And this short from like the 30s where a bunch of Disney characters play polo against who I assume were popular celebrities at the time. The croquet scene from Alice in Wonderland. All edited down slightly and only showing that portion of the film in question. The only scene that wasn’t edited, weirdly enough, was the scene in Pinocchio, where they play pool. Unlike all the other scenes, it didn’t end once the sport portion was over. But when Pinocchio and Jiminy (sp?) swim to safety. Which even as at the time I thought was a bit odd, but whatever. Now I was like maybe 3 when I first saw this on TV and started to endlessly watch the taped video. So I don’t know if I had even seen a Disney movie before. It was kind of odd for me when I eventually did see all the scenes in proper context without the edits.

Also I swear I had a Little Golden Book version of Disney’s The Rescuers despite never having seen the movie. (Though the Rescuers Down Under is awesome and criminally underrated.) And of course the book left out the infamous scene with the naked lady in the background.:p:D
I also had this giant book given to me when I was like 6 and it was Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. So seeing the movie for me was awesome. It was like the book literally came to life for me.

So did you ever experience something or someone in an entirely different way than others?

PureX

Veteran Member
As an artist I got to meet and chat with other famous fine artists, and in some cases see how they lived and worked. Which could be somewhat shocking. I will leave out the names, but I visited a globally famous sculptor's loft in New York under the Brooklyn Bridge back in the 1980s, and it was large, with an amazing view of the bridge flying over the East River. But some of the windows were broken, so it was very cold. And he had a wooden rack built over the stove in a very tiny, dirty, roach-infested kitchen with his bed on top so the heat from the oven would keep him warm at night. And at least half of the space was dedicated to a personal library, a grant and exhibition application assembly line, and a whole room dedicated to a slide library of his own work. Clearly, a lot of time and energy was spent promoting his artworks for exhibitions all over the world, and for gaining grants and paying visiting artist lectures and teaching spots wherever possible. He had assistants actually building the artworks, as he was not particularly handy with tools, or knowledgeable about construction techniques. He was the 'idea man', and the tireless self-promoter. Later, he came to visit the Art Institute in Chicago to give a lecture, and I happened to be sent to the apartment they assigned to him while he was there. And all the man traveled with was a trunk full of books and a case of scotch. It taught me something about survival in the modern 'art world' that I had not realized, before, and found very disconcerting.

In another instance, an artist friend of mine was walking on the street in New York, and happened to see a famous married couple, both visual artists (painters) sitting in a jeep at a red light. He recognized them because, like me, he had met them in person through an exhibition, and talk. But while sitting in the Jeep, the man was punching the woman in the face, repeatedly, and hard. Which as you can imagine, changed the way he looked at their paintings forever after.

I worked for some years for a fine art services company in Chicago, and got to package many very valuable and famous works of art for storage and shipping. And it was often really interesting to see and handle these objects up close, without the museum ropes and guards to keep you away from them when on public view. I got to see the artists handiwork close up, and on the parts that no one else sees (behind and underneath, etc.). It was very interesting and 'revealing', sometimes.

Last edited: