• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird egg-perience

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Just now I was making 6 small scrambled eggs in a 6" diameter pot, three inches deep. I had thoroughly beaten the eggs with an electric mixer. I set the pot to mid heat, let the eye turn to orange, put in some olive oil followed by the eggs. Thirty seconds later stirred it with a fork, then forgot about it.

***edit*** I also added about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of water to the eggs...to help get more egg out of the mixing bowl

I started reading an RF post and replying, but my eggs kept on cooking. When I came to awareness the eggs rather than burning had pulled themselves completely away from the bottom of the pot, forming a thick bubble across its top. They were almost perfectly done.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Just now I was making 6 small scrambled eggs in a 6" diameter pot, three inches deep. I had thoroughly beaten the eggs with an electric mixer. I set the pot to mid heat, let the eye turn to orange, put in some olive oil followed by the eggs. Thirty seconds later stirred it with a fork, then forgot about it.

***edit*** I also added about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of water to the eggs...to help get more egg out of the mixing bowl

I started reading an RF post and replying, but my eggs kept on cooking. When I came to awareness the eggs rather than burning had pulled themselves completely away from the bottom of the pot, forming a thick bubble across its top. They were almost perfectly done.
Looks to me as if the water turned to steam and lifted the setting mixture off the bottom of the pan. Did you blend the water in fully?

But your scrambled egg recipe is weird. I use eggs, butter and splash of milk or cream. But then I'm fairly unreconstructed, when it comes to cooking.;)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Looks to me as if the water turned to steam and lifted the setting mixture off the bottom of the pan. Did you blend the water in fully?
Good question. No I added it after the eggs were in the pot but before stirring.

But your scrambled egg recipe is weird. I use eggs, butter and splash of milk or cream. But then I'm fairly unreconstructed, when it comes to cooking.
Sometimes I add various things. This time I only added some lemon pepper and ground onion. This makes some tasty scrambled eggs. I estimate 1/4 tsp lemon pepper and 1 tablespoon ground onion. Those were thoroughly mixed in.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Good question. No I added it after the eggs were in the pot but before stirring.

Sometimes I add various things. This time I only added some lemon pepper and ground onion. This makes some tasty scrambled eggs. I estimate 1/4 tsp lemon pepper and 1 tablespoon ground onion. Those were thoroughly mixed in.
Aha. If you didn't mix the water in, then I am fairly sure my explanation accounts for what you observed. The water will have been a separate layer on the bottom and will have boiled, but by that time the egg mixture will have already partly set, forming a semisolid layer over it. So then the steam pressure will have lifted the whole thing up off the bottom.

Personally I like to leave scrambled eggs alone, apart from a good screw of black pepper, unless I mix them at the end with shreds of smoked salmon and chopped chives - which is damned good. But I often also serve them alongside mushrooms, sweated in butter, which is also very good.

I don't cook them often these days, as my teenage son is at home and requires a more substantial evening meal. But once he is off to university this autumn, I may find myself scrambling eggs for myself, some evenings.

P.S. Toast is mandatory with scrambled eggs: it is the contrast in texture.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Aha. If you didn't mix the water in, then I am fairly sure my explanation accounts for what you observed. The water will have been a separate layer on the bottom and will have boiled, but by that time the egg mixture will have already partly set, forming a semisolid layer over it. So then the steam pressure will have lifted the whole thing up off the bottom.

Personally I like to leave scrambled eggs alone, apart from a good screw of black pepper, unless I mix them at the end with shreds of smoked salmon and chopped chives - which is damned good. But I often also serve them alongside mushrooms, sweated in butter, which is also very good.

I don't cook them often these days, as my teenage son is at home and requires a more substantial evening meal. But once he is off to university this autumn, I may find myself scrambling eggs for myself, some evenings.
I love those ideas! When said you sometimes used butter as an ingredient did you mean that you buttered the pan?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I love those ideas! When said you sometimes used butter as an ingredient did you mean that you buttered the pan?
No I put a knob (technical culinary term:D) of butter in the pan along with the beaten eggs and a little splash of milk, plus salt and pepper and let the butter melt into it as the mixture heats up, gently scraping the bottom of the pan every so often to scrape up the setting mixture. I turn the heat off well before it sets solid (very important), so that the residual heat is just enough to set it, with a bit more scraping, to the desired degree - i.e. not too much. But that's a matter of taste of course.

I had thought everyone made scrambled eggs that way, but now I'm finding it is not the case, which is in itself interesting.

Orbit

I'm a planet

You were very lucky you had the heat so low. Well done!

janesix

Six eggs? That's a lot for one person.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Six eggs? That's a lot for one person.
They are small not medium not large. Usually I make 4 or 5, however I am at the end of the carton. To me it seems like cooking them together is more tidy, because then I can make space by getting rid of the carton. If they were large I would make only two or three.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
No I put a knob (technical culinary term:D) of butter in the pan along with the beaten eggs and a little splash of milk, plus salt and pepper and let the butter melt into it as the mixture heats up, gently scraping the bottom of the pan every so often to scrape up the setting mixture. I turn the heat off well before it sets solid (very important), so that the residual heat is just enough to set it, with a bit more scraping, to the desired degree - i.e. not too much. But that's a matter of taste of course.

I had thought everyone made scrambled eggs that way, but now I'm finding it is not the case, which is in itself interesting.
Some people have started cooking their eggs using the steam wand of an espresso machine. Its rumored to make perfect eggs every time.

You were very lucky you had the heat so low. Well done!
I'd like to try it again. I wish I remembered exactly how much water was used. It could potentially make a large mess couldn't it?

exchemist

Veteran Member
Some people have started cooking their eggs using the steam wand of an espresso machine. Its rumored to make perfect eggs every time.

I'd like to try it again. I wish I remembered exactly how much water was used. It could potentially make a large mess couldn't it?
It certainly could. It could burn, or it could blow all the egg mixture out of the pan, in a phreatic* explosion.

*Good one, huh? :D

But I have to say, blowing steam through them sounds like a terrible idea. It will condense and you will get watery scrambled eggs, ugh. Personally I think it is nice to let a bit of the mixture start to colour on the bottom of the pan - not too much of course, or it will all go solid. It adds flavour.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Back in the day (stupid expression) I never used to put milk in. Or the proverbial knob come to think of it.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Was it any good? I'd have thought with no butter it could be a bit dry or rubbery. But if it's OK that way I might give it a try.
Just used a few squirts of FryLight in a decent non-stick pan. I'm not desperately recommending it, just commenting on the different ways of making it. You certainly need to whip it off the heat afore it seems cooked.