• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weird Dream

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, this one woke me up.

I had a dream in which an old coworker and I were in a work setting(but not the place we actually worked). We were listening to people talk, hearing the radio, everyone was sad, upset. The world is full of tragedy. I don't remember all of what was discussed, but at one point, one of us said "its ridiculous that some people have nothing to eat, and others ride around on yachts. It oughta be illegal to have more than 5 million dollars; distribute the rest out amongst the poor." We huffed and steamed, and went into another room that looked like an apartment. All the sudden, the sky opened up, and we viewed the universe, full of deities, some good, some bad, but all seemingly.... playing. In the play, the deities were all of an African nature(one was made of fire, I didn't want to get too close, didn't seem friendly). It seemed like watching children at play, some were friendly, some were not. People were all caught up in it, not realizing they were 'toys'... At one point an angry deity jumped out of the play(taking a more human form when he did), and yelled at a man that was in the 'work area'(seemed his name was Lazerus, which I know is a Biblical name, but I don't know anything about it), "Hey, you were supposed to be mine! Why were you playing with [other deity]?" To which the man froze, but then the deity form jumped back into the play.

Her and I watched this, and it seemed upsetting, but we were glad to at least have an explanation now. We went to another work area, this one being assembling toys out of old materials. They were really nice toys... I commented about making some for my kids. I suddenly felt overwhelmed, and told her I needed to take a break. I went out the door, and there was a grassy hill. I decided to meditate, doing a white light meditation where you build it up by breathing and let it extend out of your body. This was extremely detailed. I did it with as much care and took as much time as if I had been awake. I then seemed to become aware that I was actually sleeping. With just as much care as I did the meditation, I started doing spell work to construct a gris-gris bag to promote spirituality for when I woke up, adding a bit of peppercorn for protection. (I've never actually made a gris-gris bag, but my friend when I was a kid had a book on them, and I used to read it when I stayed at her house.) It was all very detailed, and I was conscious of each thing I put in, but upon waking, I only recall a crystal and the peppercorns. Understanding that I'd need it after waking, I tucked it inside of my bra(that's where I carry everything), being content that the energy would carry over when I woke up. I felt at peace now, prepared, no longer perturbed by the 'divine lila' I'd witnessed.

And then I woke up.

@Guitar's Cry , I wouldn't mind hearing from you on this. :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

I had a dream in which an old coworker and I were in a work setting(but not the place we actually worked). We were listening to people talk, hearing the radio, everyone was sad, upset. The world is full of tragedy. I don't remember all of what was discussed, but at one point, one of us said "its ridiculous that some people have nothing to eat, and others ride around on yachts. It oughta be illegal to have more than 5 million dollars; distribute the rest out amongst the poor." We huffed and steamed, and went into another room that looked like an apartment. All the sudden, the sky opened up, and we viewed the universe, full of deities, some good, some bad, but all seemingly.... playing. In the play, the deities were all of an African nature(one was made of fire, I didn't want to get too close, didn't seem friendly). It seemed like watching children at play, some were friendly, some were not. People were all caught up in it, not realizing they were 'toys'... At one point an angry deity jumped out of the play(taking a more human form when he did), and yelled at a man that was in the 'work area'(seemed his name was Lazerus, which I know is a Biblical name, but I don't know anything about it), "Hey, you were supposed to be mine! Why were you playing with [other deity]?" To which the man froze, but then the deity form jumped back into the play.

Her and I watched this, and it seemed upsetting, but we were glad to at least have an explanation now. We went to another work area, this one being assembling toys out of old materials. They were really nice toys... I commented about making some for my kids. I suddenly felt overwhelmed, and told her I needed to take a break. I went out the door, and there was a grassy hill. I decided to meditate, doing a white light meditation where you build it up by breathing and let it extend out of your body. This was extremely detailed. I did it with as much care and took as much time as if I had been awake. I then seemed to become aware that I was actually sleeping. With just as much care as I did the meditation, I started doing spell work to construct a gris-gris bag to promote spirituality for when I woke up, adding a bit of peppercorn for protection. (I've never actually made a gris-gris bag, but my friend when I was a kid had a book on them, and I used to read it when I stayed at her house.) It was all very detailed, and I was conscious of each thing I put in, but upon waking, I only recall a crystal and the peppercorns. Understanding that I'd need it after waking, I tucked it inside of my bra(that's where I carry everything), being content that the energy would carry over when I woke up. I felt at peace now, prepared, no longer perturbed by the 'divine lila' I'd witnessed.

And then I woke up.

Really cool dream!

I like to point out that the best interpreter is the dreamer, since your brain is using deeply personal symbols, but here are some of my impressions (partially based on Jungian dream symbolism):

- Characters in your dream represent parts of your own psyche, but they sometimes represent a part of you related to or by the actual character. In your old coworker, this could be your relationship to them, something unique about them, or something about the job or even where the job was located. My guess is it might also be recalling something from that time period or may just represent the past. Since you were discussing how crappy the world could be and balancing it out through more equal distribution, this may suggests you've been feeling out of balance in your waking life, maybe sick or emotionally unstable, or there's something amiss or out of skew in your life that's impacting you mentally.

-Buildings in dreams, especially houses, but apartments and workplaces as well, can represent your full psyche, what is "within" you. When you stepped into other rooms you were symbolically stepping into other parts of your psyche. When you saw the sky open up, this suggests something outside of yourself, either spiritually or physically. That they were "African deities" is something Jung discusses (in Man and His Symbols, I think, I can check later) as a kind of exotic mystical symbol (if it is not part of your own culture, not sure in this case!) of guardians of the threshold. This suggests the dream is about reaching a new level of psychic growth. I personally think it also could be a kind of psychic healing, since I think even with growth we can become psychologically or spiritually fractured and need to reheal or start over again many times in life!

-That these deities were playing with men like toys suggests you were considering the relationship of individuals to the Universe: that humans are self aware and have will, but are also puppets of the Universe. Lazarus was brought back from the dead by Jesus, so I imagine that was a kind of fact your brain had stored but forgotten, because that idea kind of fits in my mind. But this is YOUR dream. :)

How I think it fits: The Threshold guardians are also parts of your psyche, and Lazarus may represent the part of you that is out of sync, needed healing, or was even lost and is now being revived (consider that the dream starts with something from your past). Your psyche is rediscovering and reclaiming this. Building nice toys from old materials also fits the idea almost too nicely!

-This process is likely very overwhelming! In your waking life, change may be good, but it is scary and can be absolutely overwhelming. That you very vividly meditated and especially build up and surrounded yourself with white light energy suggests your are cementing the change (healing change?) and protecting it. You also very vividly needed to carry that change and protection with you to the waking world. That's good! It shows that something may have healed and good mental, emotional, or spiritual change has occurred. Peppercorn is a protective ingredient and used in protection and power-enhancing spellwork, so that fits!

Some things you could try:

-Handwrite the dream down somewhere. Handwriting is directly connected to the brain so it may help you tease it out a bit more yourself.

-Use other divination as a way to reframe the dream, whether it be Tarot or Runes.

-Pay attention to other dreams you may have and in particular how they make you feel both in the dream and when you wake.

-You could make a gris-gris bag or something similar like a medicine bag with a crystal and peppercorn.

Hope this helps! I am curious how my interpretation fits your own.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

And then I woke up.

Thank you for sharing! Wow! My wife would call that a working dream...

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Really cool dream!

I like to point out that the best interpreter is the dreamer, since your brain is using deeply personal symbols, but here are some of my impressions (partially based on Jungian dream symbolism):
Its true, the dreamer is more often able to pick up symbols someone else would miss. But, I always find it helpful to bounce stuff off of others(and I've enjoyed your input in the past).

Really cool dream!

- Characters in your dream represent parts of your own psyche, but they sometimes represent a part of you related to or by the actual character. In your old coworker, this could be your relationship to them, something unique about them, or something about the job or even where the job was located. My guess is it might also be recalling something from that time period or may just represent the past. Since you were discussing how crappy the world could be and balancing it out through more equal distribution, this may suggests you've been feeling out of balance in your waking life, maybe sick or emotionally unstable, or there's something amiss or out of skew in your life that's impacting you mentally.
That coworker was a good friend. I am a bit of a character, and so was she. We were both about as sensitive as stones, and I could be myself with her, 100% uncensored. Our interactions(which tended to be riddled with rude humor, most often at the other's expense) also seemed to entertain the other workers. (One of my best wedding photos was of me chasing her in my wedding finery, fist lifted in anger, and her running, huge grin, looking directly into the camera.)

My waking life's always out of balance. What's new? :D

-Buildings in dreams, especially houses, but apartments and workplaces as well, can represent your full psyche, what is "within" you. When you stepped into other rooms you were symbolically stepping into other parts of your psyche. When you saw the sky open up, this suggests something outside of yourself, either spiritually or physically. That they were "African deities" is something Jung discusses (in Man and His Symbols, I think, I can check later) as a kind of exotic mystical symbol (if it is not part of your own culture, not sure in this case!) of guardians of the threshold. This suggests the dream is about reaching a new level of psychic growth. I personally think it also could be a kind of psychic healing, since I think even with growth we can become psychologically or spiritually fractured and need to reheal or start over again many times in life!
Good point! I didn't take too much note until you mentioned this... the first work room where the coworker and I were complaining was rather sterile and mundane. The second room with Lazerus(and a few other background workers) in it was more of your standard apartment. Nothing special, other than the sky had burst open over it. The toy factory was nice; looked more like a restaurant with 'stations' than a real factory. Colorful and open.

I'm unsure why the deities were specifically African, but, its worth mentioning my coworker is an African immigrant. African guardian spirits were also extremely relevant in some events in the recent past regarding some friends of mine(which is too much to get into in this thread). Possibly a factor.

I've had some indicators recently hinting at growth and/or healing(healing much needed; the last few years have been both blessed and challenging). I think I agree with you here.

-That these deities were playing with men like toys suggests you were considering the relationship of individuals to the Universe: that humans are self aware and have will, but are also puppets of the Universe. Lazarus was brought back from the dead by Jesus, so I imagine that was a kind of fact your brain had stored but forgotten, because that idea kind of fits in my mind. But this is YOUR dream. :)
lol The dream Lazarus(who was just another worker in the room) was kinda startled by the feisty deity, but nothing more happened. It was all part of the show. The idea of bringing back from the dead ties in with the gris-gris bag... a piece of a long forgotten book from childhood years...

The divine play is often mentioned in Hinduism... Divine Lila... I actually got to watch it for a moment. Both awe inspiring and terrifying.

How I think it fits: The Threshold guardians are also parts of your psyche, and Lazarus may represent the part of you that is out of sync, needed healing, or was even lost and is now being revived (consider that the dream starts with something from your past). Your psyche is rediscovering and reclaiming this. Building nice toys from old materials also fits the idea almost too nicely!
Makes sense, in many ways. There's a lot of things going on in my mental space lately, and this fits.

-This process is likely very overwhelming! In your waking life, change may be good, but it is scary and can be absolutely overwhelming. That you very vividly meditated and especially build up and surrounded yourself with white light energy suggests your are cementing the change (healing change?) and protecting it. You also very vividly needed to carry that change and protection with you to the waking world. That's good! It shows that something may have healed and good mental, emotional, or spiritual change has occurred. Peppercorn is a protective ingredient and used in protection and power-enhancing spellwork, so that fits!
Yeah, it is overwhelming. I think I agree there's a lot of change going on under my surface. Some of its exciting, some is intimidating. In coping with this on a daily level, part of the overwhelm is the amount of care I have to provide for others, while also undergoing these changes. Maybe while I was sleeping was the best place to do the work, so my subconscious took care of something that would be difficult to do while I was awake. (Maybe.)

Glad I stuck the right stuff in the bag! :D

Some things you could try:

-Handwrite the dream down somewhere. Handwriting is directly connected to the brain so it may help you tease it out a bit more yourself.

-Use other divination as a way to reframe the dream, whether it be Tarot or Runes.

-Pay attention to other dreams you may have and in particular how they make you feel both in the dream and when you wake.

-You could make a gris-gris bag or something similar like a medicine bag with a crystal and peppercorn.

Hope this helps! I am curious how my interpretation fits your own.
I did jot this dream down as soon as I woke up(well, after I used the toilet). I don't do that as much as I should, but I felt this one I probably should. I oughta keep track over the coming weeks...

I'm gonna look into the gris-gris bag. Its been so long, I'm trying to remember what tradition those come from... I wanna say Hoo-doo, but its been probably over 20 years since I looked at that book(and it wasn't mine, so I don't have it to refer to).

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
It's a dream in which spiritual work takes place...the context set up you meditating and the ritual work for bag, both of which are 'work' to achieve certain results...
Sounds about right! I like that.

I don't think I've ever had a working dream before. Lucid dreams, yes. But I never did any work in them, other than try to break down how to float in hopes I could transfer the skill over after I woke up.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Sounds about right! I like that.

I don't think I've ever had a working dream before. Lucid dreams, yes. But I never did any work in them, other than try to break down how to float in hopes I could transfer the skill over after I woke up.
I think my wife would say that trying to float would be working as well...

I've sometimes had dreams where I was trying to rescue people who were in danger. I've had dreams where I've been trying to get to a particular location. Dreams of change. All those would be working dreams...

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
I think my wife would say that trying to float would be working as well...

I've sometimes had dreams where I was trying to rescue people who were in danger. I've had dreams where I've been trying to get to a particular location. Dreams of change. All those would be working dreams...
I guess dreams can be a lot of work.

No wonder some people wake up tired.