• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weightlifter will be first trans athlete to compete at Olympics

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That being said, about trans athletes in a lot of sports... I think banning them is a silly wedge issue as after a couple years of hormones as they sometimes require, they may have a sports advantage still but many first place winners aren't transgender and a lot of transgender people are actually pretty bad at sports (no offense, it's just the way it is).

However, I'm not sure about weight lifting. It's possible there could be an advantage there. I'm just not sure.

Will this become the norm?
Where transgender athletes will dominate female sports?

In terms of possible performance level, the retained advantage is so substantial that trans women can perform at a level basically impossible for other female competitors.

Laurel Hubbard's lifts in her first women's competition show quite how extreme this can be

E2vIuaMXoAAEMX_

We Never Know

No Slack
That being said, about trans athletes in a lot of sports... I think banning them is a silly wedge issue as after a couple years of hormones as they sometimes require, they may have a sports advantage still but many first place winners aren't transgender and a lot of transgender people are actually pretty bad at sports (no offense, it's just the way it is).

However, I'm not sure about weight lifting. It's possible there could be an advantage there. I'm just not sure.

During and after teen years males do have a natural advantage over females.

"During teen years Boys' muscles go through a phase of rapid development which girls miss out on. This oxygen is used to create energy for muscles to exercise. As a result, teenage boys become fitter and stronger than they have ever been before."

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Teenagers

We Never Know

No Slack
In terms of possible performance level, the retained advantage is so substantial that trans women can perform at a level basically impossible for other female competitors.

Laurel Hubbard's lifts in her first women's competition show quite how extreme this can be

E2vIuaMXoAAEMX_

Exactly! Transwoman will dominate female sports.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
During and after teen years males do have a natural advantage over females.

"During teen years Boys' muscles go through a phase of rapid development which girls miss out on. This oxygen is used to create energy for muscles to exercise. As a result, teenage boys become fitter and stronger than they have ever been before."

BBC - Science & Nature - Human Body and Mind - Teenagers

Things change after you get on female hormones. You lose upper body strength.

Heyo

Veteran Member

"Laurel Hubbard lifted a whopping 628 pounds in two lifts to qualify for her first Olympic Games. And when she competes in Tokyo next month, she will make history as the first openly transgender athlete." ever to do so.

The Olympics usually have very hard requirements for hormone levels and they update them according to new scientific knowledge. Athletes have been disqualified before, before and during the games. I don't see transgender athletes dominating women's sport at the Olympics. It may be another thing at other competitions.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

"Laurel Hubbard lifted a whopping 628 pounds in two lifts to qualify for her first Olympic Games. And when she competes in Tokyo next month, she will make history as the first openly transgender athlete." ever to do so.

If the transition was from female to male then ill be impressed.

Otherwise it's just plain sad for any natural woman who has likely trained for years if not decades for this moment.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

We'll see how she actually does. She's older for an Olympian, and her testosterone levels meet the requirements set by the Olympics. Trans people who transition have been allowed to compete for years, and have not "dominated" every sport yet, so I don't think it's going to suddenly happen now.

epronovost

Imagine if Brian Shaw transitioned to female.
(He's the one on the left.)
Strongman-1000x447.jpg

He would probably lose about a third of his muscle mass and convert it into fat. In other words, he would probably become a very tall and obese woman with very little aptitude for sports beside perhaps Sumo wrestling though this sport is still strictly masculine. It's even forbidden for a woman to touch or enter a Sumo wrestling ring so they can't even participate as referee.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
He would probably lose about a third of his muscle mass and convert it into fat.
That's not really a thing.
Muscle doesn't convert to fat.
One can possibly gain fat while losing muscle though.
In other words, he would probably become a very tall and obese woman with very little aptitude for sports beside perhaps Sumo wrestling though this sport is still strictly masculine. It's even forbidden for a woman to touch or enter a Sumo wrestling ring so they can't even participate as referee.
A man can remain an athlete after transitioning to female.
No destiny to be obese simply because one is muscular.
But the point here is that Mr Shaw (4 time World's Strongest
Man) would retain some advantage due to prior training &
inherent size (6'8" 400#+/-) & ability.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Good. May she do well and those that pretend to care about athletic fairness while praising people with unfair biological advantages like Lance Armstrong or Michael Phelps choke on it.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That's not really a thing.
Muscle doesn't convert to fat.
One can possibly gain fat while losing muscle though.

A man can remain an athlete after transitioning to female.
No destiny to be obese simply because one is muscular.
But the point here is that Mr Shaw (4 time World's Strongest
Man) would retain some advantage due to prior training &
inherent size (6'8" 400#+/-) & ability.

It's true he would maintain some advantage. However it's inexact too. I've seen large men drop 50+ pounds after transitioning to female. It could be a number of reasons why. But likely it's a combination of things - hormones, happiness, thinking you have to lose weight, etc.

epronovost

Good. May she do well and those that pretend to care about athletic fairness while praising people with unfair biological advantages like Lance Armstrong or Michael Phelps choke on it.

I believe Lance Armstrong advantage was of the synthetic chemical variety.

Jeremiah Ames

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I believe Lance Armstrong advantage was of the synthetic chemical variety.
It was later on (though that's wider spread than we pretend, with tons of chemical enhancers not even banned) but he still had extremely large, record breaking lung capacity, hyper efficient heart and low resting pulse, and other innate advantages. As do all the 'dominating' record holders.