• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weighing God Against Satan

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Neither are characters; both are forces.

Unless you're talking about the literary personifications of said forces, and then it really depends on which mythology you're referring to.

Morse

To Extinguish
Satan is of course the winner....

everyone knows satan has the best music

Yah I know right? I mean, you'd think that Bible Believers could think up some more words besides "I wake up in the morning, eat my oatmeal (pronounced Ote-Mill), I fall down on my knees and Scream! I LOVE YOU JESUS."

Which is the sole constituent of every christian song I've heard.

I think both charcters are punks. Because one gets his jollies off toturing people for all eternity and the other is making sure as many end up in the torture chamber with him when its all said and done. So, yea...punks.

Last edited:

DonSinger

God=the force of all things good, righteous and upright. Understanding, love and pride are at this end of the spectrum.

Satan=The force of all things evil, fearful, and hateful. Lies, and ignorance.

Its your choice. You decide who is more admirable. But somehow i think there's a gray area in there somewhere in which both entities slip in and out of. things like homosexuality can go either way.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
God=the force of all things good, righteous and upright. Understanding, love and pride are at this end of the spectrum.

Satan=The force of all things evil, fearful, and hateful. Lies, and ignorance.

Its your choice. You decide who is more admirable. But somehow i think there's a gray area in there somewhere in which both entities slip in and out of. things like homosexuality can go either way.
Talk about misinformation and Christian propaganda? Where did you get that load of dualistic poopelnagel from?

Speaking strictly Theologically (I am assuming we are talking about the Abrahamic God here, as there are others), Satan was Lucifer and took the name Satan when He was banished to Hell and/or earth. God's whim was to keep his sheeple nice and neatly together under one Reality, His Reality. Lucifer didn't like this and enjoyed being responsible for his own actions so he had a little rumble with the angels that sided with YHWH and lost. Now, as Satan, He goes around helping those that seek individual enlightenment and separation from the Abrahamic God's reign.

EM

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
I'm actually not christian. its just how i see the opposing forces. good....evil....
And that is fine Don. May I shed a little more light on these theories of opposing forces?
“Everything is dual; everything has poles; everything has Its pair of opposites; like and unlike are the same;opposites are identical in nature, but different in degree; extremes meet; all truths are but half-truths; all paradoxes may be reconciled.“–The Kybalion.
The Fourth Hermetic Principle–the Principle of Polarity–embodies the truth that all manifested things have “two sides”; “two aspects”; “two poles”; a “pair of opposites,” with manifold degrees between the two extremes.

Good and Bad are not absolute–we call one end of the scale Good and the other Bad, or one end Good and the other Evil, according to the use of the terms. A thing is “less good” than the thing higher in the scale; but that “less good” thing, in turn, is “more good” than the thing next below it–and so on, the “more or less” being regulated by the position on the scale.

The Neo Nerd

I think both charcters are punks. Because one gets his jollies off toturing people for all eternity and the other is making sure as many end up in the torture chamber with him when its all said and done. So, yea...punks.

Maybe that's there kinky homoerotic game. Perhaps god likes to watch.

-Q

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend non-believer 92,

Weighing God Against Satan

Existence is nothing more than *energy*. Energy has two poles positive and negative. One cannot have electrical wiring of one pole.
Similarly a tree grows both ways below the earth as roots and above as trunk. Roots grounds the tree to earth like thoughts ground humans.
Likewise Satan are *THOUGHTS* and god as No-THOUGHTS.
Both exists due to the other, remove the roots, the tree will not survive and cut the trunk and the tree will mostly likely not survive.
as humans we are the central point of existence like a pendulum from whose center the positive side is one and the negative side is another both and as it swings at one extreme gains maximum energy to swing back to the other side and only at the center it is balanced without any bias towards one side.
We find Angulimala on the negative side [buddhist story] and when transformed goes straight towards the other extreme as believer similar is another story of Ratnakar who was a dacoit and on chance meeting with enlightened people was transformed to balmiki and wrote Ramayan [sanatan dharma scripture].
Energy is one whether used positively or negatively.
Both of them make it *WHOLE* and holy!

Love & rgds

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Friend non-believer 92,

. . . like a pendulum from whose center the positive side is one and the negative side is another both and as it swings at one extreme gains maximum energy to swing back to the other side and only at the center it is balanced without any bias towards one side . . .
So true!
“Everything flows, out and in; everything has its tides; all things rise and fall; the pendulum-swing manifests in
everything; the measure of the swing to the right is the measure of the swing to the left; rhythm compensates.”–
The Kybalion.
This Principle embodies the truth that in everything there is manifested a measured motion, to and fro; a flow and inflow; a swing backward and forward; a pendulum-like movement; a tide-like ebb and flow; a high-tide and low-tide; between the two poles which exist in accordance with the Principle of Polarity described a moment ago. There is always an action and a reaction; an advance and a retreat; a rising and a sinking. This is in the affairs of the Universe, suns, worlds, men, animals, mind, energy, and matter.

EM

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend EtuMalku,

Never knew that such an understanding was quoted by someone else in history.
They are all personal understanding of life.
Existence was, is and will be from eternity to eternity and forms will keep changing from nothing to something and back and the cycle continues...
We as humans just are somewhere in between the two endless process.
Have a great day!
Love & rgds

gnostic

The Lost One
As far as I concern...at the moment...neither of them actually exist. There are no evidences that either one of them exist in reality.

From a literary, theological or mythological point of view, then it really depends on which text that you are talking about.

Satan doesn't appear in the Old Testament, till we come across him in the Book of Job. IMO, Satan is merely God's tool, middleman or agent, doing God's bidding, like this person or tempt that person. If we are to take the Book of Job literary, then I feel more contempt for God than I have for Satan.

In the New Testament, Satan is a totally different character. So no, I don't like him.

But then again, I still don't like God too.

Jesus may paint him as loving and merciful god, except that he contradict this picture, as being a judge that will send you to hell if you don't believe in Jesus or himself, even if you a good person. That's not loving or merciful.

And judging the Christian doctrine, you can go to heaven as long as believe in Jesus and repent, even if like killing or raping women and children. But if you a good person who have not committed a crime, but you don't believe in Jesus, then you earn a place in hell and eternal torment. That's not what I'd call - just.

DonSinger

And that is fine Don. May I shed a little more light on these theories of opposing forces?

The Fourth Hermetic Principle–the Principle of Polarity–embodies the truth that all manifested things have “two sides”; “two aspects”; “two poles”; a “pair of opposites,” with manifold degrees between the two extremes.

Good and Bad are not absolute–we call one end of the scale Good and the other Bad, or one end Good and the other Evil, according to the use of the terms. A thing is “less good” than the thing higher in the scale; but that “less good” thing, in turn, is “more good” than the thing next below it–and so on, the “more or less” being regulated by the position on the scale.

So what are you saying? God and satan are one and the same? satan is just a lower piece of god, as is god is a higher piece of satan? cause i would agree with this.

gnostic

The Lost One
DonSinger said:
So what are you saying? God and satan are one and the same? satan is just a lower piece of god, as is god is a higher piece of satan? cause i would agree with this.
Like 2 sides of the same coin. That's quite possible.

If you seriously think that there are 2 forces of the spiritual world - eg. good and bad - then either
  • these 2 personifications (good and evil), are 2 gods, which would rule out that the Abrahamic religions are not technically monotheistic,
  • or if there are only one Abrahamic deity in the monotheistic religions, then God = Satan.
Let just concentrate on Christianity for one moment. There are those who believe that the Trinity, is 3 separate personalities: Father, Son and the Holy Spirit. And there are those who believe that the Trinity are just 3 aspects of one single entity.

We have plenty of Christians who believe that Jesus is God, but came to earth in human form, hence Jesus is a simply an incarnation of God or emanation of God.

If that's true, then what prevents people believing that Satan also being an emanation of God?