• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Web Filters

Onyx

Premium Member
What do you think about the censorship of alternative-religion websites in public schools and libraries, while conventional religions are deemed safe? What makes a religion safe?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What do you think about the censorship of alternative-religion websites in public schools and libraries, while conventional religions are deemed safe? What makes a religion safe?
I suppose a filter would be based off language and content. What kind of alternative religions are we talking about here?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose a filter would be based off language and content. What kind of alternative religions are we talking about here?

It's been a problem for contemporary Pagan religions for quite some time. They get smeared as "occult" and things that are occult get blocked by some filters.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I have no problem with it, so long as only @Onyx's religion gets censored. I think that goes without saying. But if anyone else's religion is being censored, then it simply shouldn't be happening -- with the sole exception of religions that advocate breaking laws. I'd take them to court if it were my religion. Wait a minute! I bet they DO censor erotic dancing girls!

*is mad as hell now*

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wouldn't "safe" mean unthreatening to the established order or prevailing social mores?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Personally promoting a specific religion or group of religions or blocking others violates the First Amendment. I'd make a "fire in a crowded theater" exception for religions that promote human sacrifice and other such practices. But I doubt that was part of the OP question.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I never realized it was that prevalent.

I don't know how prevalent it really is - I haven't seen any recent coverage of the issue and I no longer have the contacts in the public school system that I used to. Different school districts will have different policies.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Question from ignorance...
Is this targeting and blocking of specific religions, or is it automated screening based on keywords, etc?

Onyx

Premium Member
I've read that some schools and libraries use this software developed by Christians:
http://afo.net/filtering.php

Question from ignorance...
Is this targeting and blocking of specific religions, or is it automated screening based on keywords, etc?

I'm guessing a combination of blacklists and keyword lists. The problem is there isn't really any way of knowing how it works, program code can be scrambled up in all sorts of ways and could single out particular religions without requiring actual lists. I doubt it goes that far, but it's certainly possible.