• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wearing my hijab at school

Today I felt brave enough to actually wear my hijab to school after not doing so for over a year and, to be honest, it felt empowering and freeing. Wearing it made me feel closer to God today and it made me feel less exposed. I haven't felt like that in awhile, so this just feels really important to me. Just thought I'd share for the sake of sharing. :)

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Today I felt brave enough to actually wear my hijab to school after not doing so for over a year and, to be honest, it felt empowering and freeing. Wearing it made me feel closer to God today and it made me feel less exposed. I haven't felt like that in awhile, so this just feels really important to me. Just thought I'd share for the sake of sharing. :)

Congratulations on this remarkable step. It's always good to see people being free to express themselves, especially when it comes to something that so many are obsessed with controlling, like women's clothing.

Thanks for sharing. I hope you continue to have fulfillness in your path, and I think your post can help to break the misconception that women who wear hijab are always forced to do so. :)

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Cool. Glad you feel comfortable enough to express yourself. You do you, to hell with anyone else :)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm as happy for you as I was for one of my former students who made the same decision even though the rest of her family were largely secular.

... while, for many of us, your inability to understand seems near incomprehensible.

Please understand I mean no offence in my statement.
There are many people who wear head coverings across a great many faiths and religions, yet I have never yet heard a reason for doing so that stands up to much simple reasoning.

In Christian circles some tell me that they wear headscarves to show submission and obedience to God and also to show that they honour their husbands and respect his position.

I suspect that there are similar themes across many religions.

What makes no sense is that the same people believe their God to be Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent. It therefore makes little sense. If their God truly is all knowing, if their God knows their hearts and minds and their every thought, then most assuredly their God knows whether they genuinely submit to his authority or not. Wearing a head covering for such would actually appear to be a complete insult to God, suggesting that he needs you to wear it so that he knows whether you are obedient or not. That concept is ridiculous.

Tradition is something else of course but why would people get so hung up about wearing head coverings if it were just a bit of tradition?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Please understand I mean no offence in my statement.

There are many people who wear head coverings across a great many faiths and religions, yet I have never yet heard a reason for doing so that stands up to much simple reasoning.
Perhaps you should be less simplistic and judgmental.

What makes no sense is that the same people believe their God to be Omnipotent, Omniscient and Omnipresent. It therefore makes little sense. If their God truly is all knowing, if their God knows their hearts and minds and their every thought, then most assuredly their God knows whether they genuinely submit to his authority or not. Wearing a head covering for such would actually appear to be a complete insult to God, suggesting that he needs you to wear it so that he knows whether you are obedient or not. That concept is ridiculous.
Yes it is, but so is your excuse for an analysis. I know many Jews and a fair number of Muslims who wear head coverings, and I can not imagine a single one of them suggesting that he or she does so to communicate something to God.

Tradition is something else of course but why would people get so hung up about wearing head coverings if it were just a bit of tradition?
The only person "so hung up about wearing head coverings" here is you, and it's little more than condescension.

As for tradition, perhaps you could rent Fiddler. Who knows -- perhaps you'll discover a whole set of things to arrogantly mock.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I am a little surprised that hijab haven't been marketed as a fashion statement of some sort. They are far more sensible than much of the nonsense that gets foisted of on people in the name of style.
Tom

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member

Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to feel that connection. I remember the first time I wore my kippah as part of my regular attire; I was both excited and apprehensive.

Good for you, sounds as good as me wearing my Yarmulke and Tzitzit at work

I wear my tzitzit, but have to tuck them due to the nature of my work. Getting them caught in a motor shaft would be very bad.

I have yet to understand why anyone should feel the need to wear a head covering of any nature, in relation to religion. It makes no sense to me.

That's OK. I'm sure that most of us who do wear a head covering are perfectly alright with you not understanding why.