• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weaponized Safety

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well. Stochastic terrorist threats work on the principles of graphically demonstrating intent in order to encourage attacks from the general population.
Could you put that in English for me?

Here is an example of a good cop....but the video
also shows how good cops are coerced into enabling
bad cops. Cops who report bad cops are often fired
for violating the blue wall.

Azrael Antilla

Could you put that in English for me?

Here is an example of a good cop....but the video
also shows how good cops are coerced into enabling
bad cops. Cops who report bad cops are often fired
for violating the blue wall.
If I post a YouTube video of an effigy of a Catholic priest being hung. Then that could be interpreted as a stochastic terrorist threat against the Catholic church and clergy members.

Yazata

People are going to die regardless. Meanwhile society must be able to continue to function so that we don't spiral into third world country conditions which kill way more.

Exactly. All proposed public policy requires cost-benefit analysis. And that's precisely what we haven't seen with COVID.

Balance the benefits of some hypothetical number of saved lives and hospital beds, against the costs in economic devastation and brazen elimination of civil rights and liberties.

It isn't an immediately obvious choice. And the balance is going to shift as we move away from the hope that COVID might be eliminated in short order by drastic measures, to the realization that it will likely remain endemic much as common cold viruses (closely related coronaviruses) are.

Voluntarily giving up some civil rights on a temporary basis to achieve some clear achievable goal is one thing, Involuntarily losing the civil rights and liberties that are the foundation of our civilization, accompanied by the clampdown of a new police-state authoritarianism with no end in sight is something very different. The benefits might outbalance the costs in the first instance, while the costs predominate in the second.

Wherever we stand on that, it seems undeniable to me that COVID is the textbook example in our day of what Revoltingest called "weaponized safety".

Azrael Antilla

Exactly. All proposed public policy requires cost-benefit analysis. And that's precisely what we haven't seen with COVID.

Balance the benefits of some hypothetical number of saved lives and hospital beds, against the costs in economic devastation and brazen elimination of civil rights and liberties.

It isn't an immediately obvious choice. And the balance is going to shift as we move away from the hope that COVID might be eliminated in short order by drastic measures, to the realization that it will likely remain endemic much as common cold viruses (closely related coronaviruses) are.

Voluntarily giving up some civil rights on a temporary basis to achieve some clear achievable goal is one thing, Involuntarily losing the civil rights and liberties that are the foundation of our civilization, accompanied by the clampdown of a new police-state authoritarianism with no end in sight is something very different. The benefits might outbalance the costs in the first instance, while the costs predominate in the second.

Wherever we stand on that, it seems undeniable to me that COVID is the textbook example in our day of what Revoltingest called "weaponized safety".
I would respond in full to that. However for fear of being a party to thread derailment. I shall not.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Fortunately I'm a white "senior citizen" but yes, I could be pulled over because I frequently drive 3-4 miles over the speed limit, have been known to do "California stops" at stop signs and generally don't exactly turn on my signals at 100ft before I'm going to make a turn. I may even make unsafe lane changes and follow too closely on the freeway where allowing the proper distance to the car in front means every few seconds someone moving into my land cutting my distance to the car in front.

TAILGATING !!! This is an incredibly common and incredibly dangerous behavior. I wish cops would arrest tailgaters more frequently, this is a behavior that has to be curtailed.