• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weaponised Fake News

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
The NDAA legalizes the use of propaganda on the US public

This is serious folks.

The newest version of the National defence Authorization Act (NDAA) includes an amendment that would legalise the use of propaganda on the American public, reports Michael Hastings of BuzzFeed.The amendment — proposed by Mac Thornberry (R-Texas) and Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and passed in the House last Friday afternoon — would effectively nullify the Smith-Mundt Act of 1948, which explicitly forbids information and psychological operations aimed at influencing U.S. public opinion.
Read more at The NDAA legalizes the use of propaganda on the US public

Davis defines IO as “the integrated employment of electronic warfare (EW), computer network operations (CNO), psychological operations (PSYOP), military deception (MILDEC), and operations security (OPSEC), in concert with specified supporting and related capabilities, to influence, disrupt, corrupt or usurp adversarial human and automated decision making while protecting our own.”

IO are primarily used to target foreign audiences, but Davis cites numerous senior leaders who want to “protect a key friendly centre of gravity, to wit US national will” by repealing the Smith-Mundt Act to allow the direct deployment of these tactics on the American public.

Read more at The NDAA legalizes the use of propaganda on the US public

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
I trust the intelligence of most Americans to distinguish between truthful reality and political propaganda. Please let each person decide for himself/herself what should be considered as fake news or legitimate news reporting.

PureX

Veteran Member
People in power have always used propaganda to motivate the people they control to do their bidding. No law against it has ever stopped it, and no law for it will make it worse. We are a culture created and maintained mostly by the lies we are telling ourselves, and each other. Some of those lies help to hold us together, and some of them mean to tear us apart. And that's because the liars all have their own agendas pushing their desire to control "the story".

It takes effort and intelligence to live as an autonomous being in a culture that is striving to subjugate and control everyone and everything, all the time. And I think a lot of people just become exhausted and so confused that they accept whatever lies make them feel comfortable and at ease with themselves, regardless of the agendas behind those lies. This is just who we are, and how we have always been. And as I am getting older, and my own energy is waning, I find I just can't get up the indignation for all of this that I used to. I am swimming in a ocean of lies, and I'm getting tired. I need not to care so much. Which only makes the liars more effective, I know. And I'm sorry about that.

Last edited:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I trust the intelligence of most Americans to distinguish between truthful reality and political propaganda. Please let each person decide for himself/herself what should be considered as fake news or legitimate news reporting.

You seem to have completely missed the point. We are talking about conspiracies run by the military to fool you for reasons which will never be divulged.

You are OK with that ?

OMG.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Is Trump a desensitising manoeuvre managed by PsyOps ?

With this new law, that is totally legal.

Psychopathic gaslighting as a national population management policy ?

As I have said in another post, the USA is now a Philip K Dick nightmare, for real.

Last edited:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Propaganda has always been, & always will.
To make it illegal just wouldn't work because
it will always find a way.

I am shocked at that response.

That is complete capitulation to corruption.

Trump has softened everyone up for the final death blow to all the values which Americans have aspired to.

So you’re all so jaded you will just roll over ?

Horrible.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
You seem to have completely missed the point. We are talking about conspiracies run by the military to fool you for reasons which will never be divulged.

You are OK with that ?

OMG.

If any organization were to fool me once, then there'd be shame on them; but if they were to fool me twice, then there'd be shame on me.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am shocked at that response.

That is complete capitulation to corruption.

Trump has softened everyone up for the final death blow to all the values which Americans have aspired to.

So you’re all so jaded you will just roll over ?

Horrible.
As is oft said, the cause of all woe is unrealistic expectations.
Humans will always behave as they do. Our fundamental
nature cannot be swept away by mere man-made laws.
No matter how well crafted they are, propaganda will use
the tool of subtlety to continue thriving. We can make things
like fraud & lying illegal (depending upon circumstance), but
not propaganda, ie, to influence others to an agenda.

To face reality is hardly "capitulation".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are saying you are OK with lies and manipulation of the population being legal.
I'm saying something similar to that, but not that.
Instead....
To make propaganda illegal is a solution which is worse than the disease.
Should Obama be imprisoned for saying we can keep our doctors?
That’s not facing reality, that’s turning your head and looking the other way.
Perhaps you look away from the unintended deleterious consequences
of applying the blunt instrument of law to human communication, eh.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I'm saying something similar to that, but not that.
Instead....
To make propaganda illegal is a solution which is worse than the disease.
Should Obama be imprisoned for saying we can keep our doctors?

Perhaps you look away from the unintended deleterious consequences
of applying the blunt instrument of law to human communication, eh.

Did you even read the article ?
Do you realise what we are talking about ?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Uh huh.
It is the final hammer blow to any integrity in the US democratic system.
No big deal...
Consider the title...
The NDAA legalizes the use of propaganda on the US public

What is not propaganda?
All government communication is agenda laden.
So is all news.
Who would decide what is or is not propaganda?

A vaunted administrator here on RF tells me I perpetrate (right wing) propaganda.
(Bad judgment, hostility to opposing values, & imperiousness are rife in those who wield power.)
Yet he would certainly not see his own advocacy as such.
To make propaganda illegal would make this hypocrisy & dysfunction writ large.