• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

wealth in christianity: how can you reconcile wealthy religious people?

cambridge79

Jesus was pretty fond on that: he didn't like rich people. not one bit.

Matthew 6:19
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Mark 10:21
Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

how comes high ranking religious people are always rich?
Catholic church, there's gold literally everywhere. Yes ordinary priests and friars may be poor but they are the work force but the higher you go in rankings the richest they are.
The pope wears prada shoes and has gold all over his body. A golden crucifix should be a blasphemy itself, there's one in every church. in the old regime before the french revolution society was divided mostly in 3 groups, the nobles, the clergy and those who counted nothing. The clergy were among the wealthiest ( apart from the nobles of course ) that's why we have so much sacred art in our museums, because they were among the only who can afford to pay for it.

GoldVatican-567x354.jpg

image.jpg

78a38d90a5f5af5857b8e93fa4dd5a84_XL.jpg

920x920.jpg

In america or in nigeria pastors they go as far as to teach the so called "prosperity gospel" an abomination that teaches you that more money you make the more god is blessing you. You see pastors in america going around in limousines, fancy shoes and private jets.

w6drbzd.jpg

449182_253899_10150336100573849_840033848_9909906_7512363_n_jpgd6b7d8d8485609a8954abebb556fc5e6.jpg

simple question is, how can people be so simple minded they still fall for that?

the immediate reaction when people see a man with a golden ring talk about jesus should be "go sell it and feed the poors or **** off". why doesn't happen?

CEO-Jesus1.jpg

cambridge79

now that you make me think about it, this is a sculpture in a square of my city. They say it represent the "industrious nature of our people" but i'm pretty sure a camel would pass trough it, maybe the true reason it's there......

74217121.jpg

Thana

Lady
Jesus was pretty fond on that: he didn't like rich people. not one bit.

Matthew 6:19
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

Mark 10:21
Looking at the man, Jesus felt genuine love for him. “There is still one thing you haven’t done,” he told him. “Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
At this the man’s face fell, and he went away sad, for he had many possessions.
Jesus looked around and said to his disciples, “How hard it is for the rich to enter the Kingdom of God!” 24 This amazed them. But Jesus said again, “Dear children, it is very hard to enter the Kingdom of God. 25 In fact, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the Kingdom of God!”

how comes high ranking religious people are always rich?
Catholic church, there's gold literally everywhere. Yes ordinary priests and friars may be poor but they are the work force but the higher you go in rankings the richest they are.
The pope wears prada shoes and has gold all over his body. A golden crucifix should be a blasphemy itself, there's one in every church. in the old regime before the french revolution society was divided mostly in 3 groups, the nobles, the clergy and those who counted nothing. The clergy were among the wealthiest ( apart from the nobles of course ) that's why we have so much sacred art in our museums, because they were among the only who can afford to pay for it.

GoldVatican-567x354.jpg

image.jpg

78a38d90a5f5af5857b8e93fa4dd5a84_XL.jpg

920x920.jpg

In america or in nigeria pastors they go as far as to teach the so called "prosperity gospel" an abomination that teaches you that more money you make the more god is blessing you. You see pastors in america going around in limousines, fancy shoes and private jets.

w6drbzd.jpg

449182_253899_10150336100573849_840033848_9909906_7512363_n_jpgd6b7d8d8485609a8954abebb556fc5e6.jpg

simple question is, how can people be so simple minded they still fall for that?

the immediate reaction when people see a man with a golden ring talk about jesus should be "go sell it and feed the poors or **** off". why doesn't happen?

CEO-Jesus1.jpg

A lot of Atheists also claim to be humanists but I don't see them hocking all their belongings to 'feed the poors' as you so eloquently put it. There are plenty of affluent Atheists that give pittances to charity but use it as a show of their Atheistic magnanimity, and people rarely call them on it either.
Surprise, We're all hypocrites.

Not that I'm defending tele-evangelists or the Catholic Church, I loathe their practices and their greed. But Christians are people and people do what they want.

cambridge79

Your first line in the post was a lie. I didn't read anything else. Either you are confused on Jesus or you are bearing false witness against Him on purpose.

since you accuse me to deliberately lie, can you back up your claims and quote a single passage from the gospels where Jesus actually endorses material wealth?

I expect you to do that or publicly apoligize for your accusations because your claim was a very bold claim there and i have the right here to demand you to substanciate your accusation or apologize for that

Because i can produce many more lines from the gospels against wealth. For example Matthew 6:24

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money"

( and by the way americans put "in god we trust on their money, how stupid can one be?" )

Mark 12:41

And he sat down opposite the treasury and watched the people putting money into the offering box. Many rich people put in large sums. And a poor widow came and put in two small copper coins, which make a penny. And he called his disciples to him and said to them, “Truly, I say to you, this poor widow has put in more than all those who are contributing to the offering box. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she had, all she had to live on.”

Can you do better?

Last edited:

cambridge79

A lot of Atheists also claim to be humanists but I don't see them hocking all their belongings to 'feed the poors' as you so eloquently put it. There are plenty of affluent Atheists that give pittances to charity, and people rarely call them on it either.
Surprise, We're all hypocrites.

Not that I'm defending tele-evangelists or the Catholic Church, I loathe their practices and their greed. But Christians are people and people do what they want.

yes people are hipocrats, nothing new under the sun. Problem is, when an hipocrat is exposed for what he is than is career should be over. A man covered in gold telling people with less money than him that they should give to the poor should be simply said to go "#@#@ off". In my country we call this "being gay with other people bottoms" it pretty gives a perfect depiction of that. Instead people fall for it all the times. What's the reason?

Thana

Lady
yes people are hipocrats, nothing new under the sun. Problem is, when an hipocrat is exposed for what he is than is career should be over. A man covered in gold telling people with less money than him that they should give to the poor should be simply said to go "#@#@ off". In my country we call this "being gay with other people bottoms" it pretty gives a perfect depiction of that. Instead people fall for it all the times. What's the reason?

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with their traditions and beliefs?

cambridge79

A lot of Atheists also claim to be humanists but I don't see them hocking all their belongings to 'feed the poors' as you so eloquently put it.
difference is they're not required by their allmighty god in order to obtain salvation. that would be their personal choice.

I don't know, maybe it has something to do with their traditions and beliefs?

you mean a mindset that was forced upon them since they were toddlers where the people are compared to sheeps that are praised for blindly following their pastor and where not questioning him is considered a merit?

yes it may actually be true.
that would be dangerously close to what we consider as brain washing but i'm sure this must be a technicality

Last edited:

Mr. Beebe

Can you quote passages from the gospels where Jesus actually endorse wealth

You should get a concordance and conduct a study on the words "Riches" & "Wealth".

You've decided that because some folks are rich,, that Jesus must be mad at them....

Money is not the root of all evil. The love of it is.

Nothing wrong with being rich,, just as long as you tithe to God what belongs to him. It is God who gives us the ability to gain wealth.

The concern of Jesus is that He knows many who are rich feel they have no need of anything and love their money.

Nicodemus was rich. Yet he was there to help take the body of Jesus and brought 100 pounds of myrrh and aloes. You sound bitter,, is it because you are poor and cannot get the items that will make your life more fun?

cambridge79

You should get a concordance and conduct a study on the words "Riches" & "Wealth".

You've decided that because some folks are rich,, that Jesus must be mad at them....

Money is not the root of all evil. The love of it is.

Nothing wrong with being rich,, just as long as you tithe to God what belongs to him. It is God who gives us the ability to gain wealth.

The concern of Jesus is that He knows many who are rich feel they have no need of anything and love their money.

Nicodemus was rich. Yet he was there to help take the body of Jesus and brought 100 pounds of myrrh and aloes. You sound bitter,, is it because you are poor and cannot get the items that will make your life more fun?

you're giving me the prosperity gospel in a nutshell. How can you turn Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth and Go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven or Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God into "oh, there are people in africa without food and water, but the fact that you have a private jet is the measure of my love without feeling even a little bit of shame?

Mr. Beebe

"No one can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money"

Again,, you are rightly dividing the word. That scripture just means,, don't place money or the quest for getting it,,,in front of seeking God and His kingdom. If you love money,, you will neglect to meet the requirements of your Creator. We are love God with all our heart, mind and soul.

If you love money and the quest for it consumes you,, how can you serve God?

cambridge79

Again,, you are rightly dividing the word. That scripture just means,, don't place money or the quest for getting it,,,in front of seeking God and His kingdom. If you love money,, you will neglect to meet the requirements of your Creator. We are love God with all our heart, mind and soul.

If you love money and the quest for it consumes you,, how can you serve God?

so why would it even make sense for Jesus to tell people to not stash on earth cause the true treasure is in heaven if in his plan is to reward people on earth with treasures on earth to show them his love?

it's like me saying "oh smoking is bad for your health and if you do your homeworks today i'll buy you a pack of cigarettes"

Mr. Beebe

since you accuse me to deliberately lie

I said,, either you are confused or you are bearing false witness on purpose. Solomon was rich,, David was rich.

You must not be rich,, and because you can't gain wealth,, you've decided Jesus doesn't like rich people either.... lol

You take scriptures out of context, to make it appear as if Jesus hates money....lol,,,,,,, Jesus created all the gold and all the silver.. it's all His. Everything is His,, even you and me. All souls belong to Him.

Take the rich young ruler,, whom Jesus did perceive correctly that the rich young ruler loved his stuff........ So,, Jesus,, knowing the character flaw of the rich young ruler,, told him to separate himself from his stuff. Jesus knew his stuff was going to overcome him. The rich young ruler was selfish. so,, it was the sin of selfishness that Jesus was concerned with,, not the wealth of the ruler.

So,, don't take the scriptures out of context. Jesus loves everybody, rich, poor, free, and slave.

Mr. Beebe

Jesus to tell people to not stash on earth cause the true treasure is in heaven

So,, let me guess,,,,you take that scripture to mean,, empty out and stay busted. Never save any money,, stay broke if at all possible?????

Is that your understanding?

cambridge79

I said,, either you are confused or you are bearing false witness on purpose. Solomon was rich,, David was rich.

You must not be rich,, and because you can't gain wealth,, you've decided Jesus doesn't like rich people either.... lol

You take scriptures out of context, to make it appear as if Jesus hates money....lol,,,,,,, Jesus created all the gold and all the silver.. it's all His. Everything is His,, even you and me. All souls belong to Him.

Take the rich young ruler,, whom Jesus did perceive correctly that the rich young ruler loved his stuff........ So,, Jesus,, knowing the character flaw of the rich young ruler,, told him to separate himself from his stuff. Jesus knew his stuff was going to overcome him. The rich young ruler was selfish. so,, it was the sin of selfishness that Jesus was concerned with,, not the wealth of the ruler.

So,, don't take the scriptures out of context. Jesus loves everybody, rich, poor, free, and slave.

ok, let's see who is honest here: i'm hereby challenging you by giving you the chance to be a better christian than.
Send me 3000 dollars, take your time, let's say within the next week. I'll give you my paypal number for that.
than i will not keep them for myself cause i'm not in need but i will donate them myself to Emergency, wich is a no profit organization giving medical help to people in war zones and than i will post the donation parcel on this forum. if you give me your name i will do the donation in your name cause i don't even want the merit of that, i will just be a sort of referee
Will you accept the opportunity i'm giving you to be a better christian or will you "follow the money?"

Last edited:

cambridge79

So,, let me guess,,,,you take that scripture to mean,, empty out and stay busted. Never save any money,, stay broke if at all possible?????

Is that your understanding?

Francis did that. Friars do that. The early christian communities did that, sharing what they have for the good of the community. You dangerously look like the rich man of Mark 10.21.
why would you even need a Ferrari when you can have a Toyota and give the rests to those in need if not for the love of money?
why would you need a 50 inches tv when you can have a 20 inches tv and give the rest to those in need if not for the love of money?
why would you need a Armani suit when you can have a wallmart suit and give the rest to those in need if not for the love of money?

Mr. Beebe

ok, let's see who is honest here:

I already know you are not honest. And now,, here you are using this site to solicit money for yourself. I suggest you sell your computer first. I think your mad because others have been more fortunate than you,, and you know what they say,,,,Misery loves company.........so,, you despise people that have more than you.... maybe that is the test God has for you to overcome,,,your jealousy of others. Goodluck,, remember,, with God,, all things are possible.

Mr. Beebe

why would you even need a Ferrari when you can have a Toyota and give the rests to those in need if not for the love of money?
why would you need a 50 inches tv when you can have a 20 inches tv and give the rest to those in need if not for the love of money?
why would you need a Armani suit when you can have a wallmart suit and give the rest to those in need if not for the love of money?

I don't have any of those things. Why claim I do? More of your honesty showing?