• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Weak Atheism

DandyAndy

Where do we find definitions of hard and soft atheism, Dandy?

That's a good question. It was actually explained to me by another user on a thread I started, but the post was deleted, so I'm unsure of where he came up with the terms. Hopefully they are synonyms and don't mean different things; if so I am back at square one.

Splarnst

I consider myself a weak atheist. I'm not interested in making claims about what doesn't exist, though I suspect that nothing supernatural exists. If I had to make a bet, that's what I would choose.

Where do we find definitions of hard and soft atheism, Dandy?

Sounds like an FAQ would be useful.

Personally, I like the phrasing "tooth-fairy agnostic", meaning "someone who thinks any supernatural deities existing is at least as improbable as the existence of a supernatural tooth-fairy".

Technically that's "weak" atheism, but for all practical purposes it is indistinguishable from "strong" atheism.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sounds like an FAQ would be useful.

Personally, I like the phrasing "tooth-fairy agnostic", meaning "someone who thinks any supernatural deities existing is at least as improbable as the existence of a supernatural tooth-fairy".

Technically that's "weak" atheism, but for all practical purposes it is indistinguishable from "strong" atheism.
The thread is from 2011.