• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We spread my aunt's ashes today

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
January 28, 2018. My aunt has been my best friend for years. Was dying. Anyway. I'm not a believer of life after death. NDE comes to mind every now and again. This is in a none debate forum. Not many people talk about death, least not in the States. We get so closed about it and personal I wonder if we think about it among peers. Here is a site about what happens at the last hours of death. It's written as an observation study rather than scientific. It does explain some reasons behind near death. One of which is there are two deaths, clinical and biological. If there were any NDE it would be after biological death. I'd say we have an altered state of conscious. The website explains what happens to the brain during the 20 seconds left to recessitate.

Probably more of a journal than a discussion. Plan to go visit my aunt's resting place in the afternoon. It's a two hour round trip so still debating.

So, This Is What It Probably Feels Like When You Die (According To Real Accounts)

:leafwind: I wont be discussing much here unless there is a conversation about death and after death without needing to debate about the nature of it.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The way our culture talks about death is very strange. I think we don't put the right words to it. Perhaps that's because there are no words for it - a truly deep relationship with another cannot be expressed in mere words. Nor can a significant transition in that relationship - that moment when that other isn't there in the same way they were there before - be conveyed with mere words. We put the word "death" to it.

It's not adequate. That word "death" implies "The End" when there is not an end; things are always changing is all. In a way, I don't believe in death. There's change. Time, existence, reality, legacy... it all keeps going after that word "death" that we put on things. That legacy of relationships and the footprint something left in time and space is eternal. It's not the same, no. It is certainly not the same. But it is there, and it is something. Honor it.

The phrase "ancestor worship" isn't used much these days, but we all still seem to practice it. We still deeply honor the relationships we had with those who are part of our own legacy. It lets us hold on in the midst of the transition. And it's a way of paying respects. Sometimes, those little things become the most important things of all.

Ramblings aside, my heart goes out to you, @Unveiled Artist. I'll be walking down the path you are before too long - loosing my best friend. It's hard, and words don't do a justice. May courage and peace be by your side.

Baladas

An Págánach
I am truly sorry for the pain and loss that you are experiencing.
May you find comfort and peace, and may your dear friend and aunt rest well if there is a hereafter.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The way our culture talks about death is very strange. I think we don't put the right words to it. Perhaps that's because there are no words for it - a truly deep relationship with another cannot be expressed in mere words. Nor can a significant transition in that relationship - that moment when that other isn't there in the same way they were there before - be conveyed with mere words. We put the word "death" to it.

It's not adequate. That word "death" implies "The End" when there is not an end; things are always changing is all. In a way, I don't believe in death. There's change. Time, existence, reality, legacy... it all keeps going after that word "death" that we put on things. That legacy of relationships and the footprint something left in time and space is eternal. It's not the same, no. It is certainly not the same. But it is there, and it is something. Honor it.

The phrase "ancestor worship" isn't used much these days, but we all still seem to practice it. We still deeply honor the relationships we had with those who are part of our own legacy. It lets us hold on in the midst of the transition. And it's a way of paying respects. Sometimes, those little things become the most important things of all.

Ramblings aside, my heart goes out to you, @Unveiled Artist. I'll be walking down the path you are before too long - loosing my best friend. It's hard, and words don't do a justice. May courage and peace be by your side.

Yeah. It was hard the first year. It's off and on now. I'm seeing the good experiences. It takes awhile.

But, yeah, I can see that. The word death acting as the end. If I changed the context, I'd say transition. After my grandmother passed six years ago and even more so with my aunt, I came to the conclusion there is no spirit or soul that passes on; it doesn't exist. So, yes, the legacy. I'd say the eternal part is the memories etc left with whom are kept by loved ones. I had once practiced ancestral worship; and, now I have a different perspective on that.

I agree that honoring relationships is important. To tell you honestly, I realized I'm not really a family person. Or family being my foundation. I do wish I can see my aunt again; but, we all transition.

My aunt died so quickly. I wonder how I'd feel even though grieved, would I understand and experience death through acceptance if I'm around a dying family member. I had a dream I actually died drowning. I never get to the death part. I didn't feel pain but peace. I wonder if near death experiences are only associated with supernatural or has a person experience dying before clinical death to talk about the nature of dying without the supernatural things. Different view of NDE. I guess.

Anyway, thank you.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
January 28, 2018. My aunt has been my best friend for years. Was dying. Anyway. I'm not a believer of life after death. NDE comes to mind every now and again. This is in a none debate forum. Not many people talk about death, least not in the States. We get so closed about it and personal I wonder if we think about it among peers. Here is a site about what happens at the last hours of death. It's written as an observation study rather than scientific. It does explain some reasons behind near death. One of which is there are two deaths, clinical and biological. If there were any NDE it would be after biological death. I'd say we have an altered state of conscious. The website explains what happens to the brain during the 20 seconds left to recessitate.

Probably more of a journal than a discussion. Plan to go visit my aunt's resting place in the afternoon. It's a two hour round trip so still debating.

So, This Is What It Probably Feels Like When You Die (According To Real Accounts)

:leafwind: I wont be discussing much here unless there is a conversation about death and after death without needing to debate about the nature of it.
My sympathy for your loss.

What gives me comfort is that atoms don't really get destroyed and disappear. I would take your aunt as well as my own loved ones are still there in every aspect except for her form. It's just people fall apart. Not fundamentally destroyed.