1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We need more Russians like this man Dimitry Muratov

Discussion in 'European Politics' started by England my lionheart, Feb 24, 2022.

1. England my lionheart

England my lionheart Rockerjahili Rebel
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Its worth noting that not all Russians agree with this war.

A Russian journalist and Noble Peace Prize winner has said he and his colleagues are "grieving" over the invasion.

Dmitry Muratov, who edits the Novaya Gazeta newspaper, one of Russia's few remaining independent publications says: "As well as grief, we are experiencing shame."

He accuses Putin of "toying with a nuclear button as if it were a keyring of an expensive car" and asks: "What next - a nuclear strike?"

"I don’t see any other interpretation of Vladimir Putin’s words about 'a weapon of retribution'."

Muratov won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2022 in recognition of his fight for freedom of expression in Russia.

Quote Message: The next edition of Novaya Gazeta we are going to publish in Russian and Ukrainian, because we do not consider Ukraine our enemy and Ukrainian language - the language of an enemy, and never will." from Dmitry Muratov Editor, Novaya Gazeta
    The next edition of Novaya Gazeta we are going to publish in Russian and Ukrainian, because we do not consider Ukraine our enemy and Ukrainian language - the language of an enemy, and never will."

Dmitry MuratovEditor, Novaya Gazeta

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  2. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +5,247
    Religion:
    Catholic
    Surprising he has not yet 'disappeared'.

• Like Like x 1
  3. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    He's a brave man,there was supposed to be a protest tonight about the war but putin won't allow it.

4. Nimos

Nimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,592
    Think the keyword in what you wrote is "yet" :)

5. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,813
    Religion:
    Humanist
    As opposed to Farage, Banks and the other Brexit funders

6. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Did we ever need farage?.

7. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,813
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Brexit did and his 35 appearances on Question Time made a big difference

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Maybe but what has it got to with this thread.

9. Stevicus

Stevicus Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +22,272
    Religion:
    Agnostic
    The Russians are not a monolithic people, nor are they as blindly obedient as some people seem to think. That's why comparisons between Putin and Hitler never really made any sense.

On the other hand, if the Russians feel as if they're being pushed into a corner, then they may rally around Putin as some kind of savior. That's why taking on the Rambo/Captain America demeanor could be counterproductive here.

10. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Hey God, what went wrong?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,937
    Religion:
    Agnostic and with strong irreligious convictions.
    "Well done, Vlad my little puss. That is what we mean by de-Nazifying. Hahahahahahaha"

putin-hitler.jpg

#10 Mock Turtle, Feb 24, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +13,813
    Religion:
    Humanist
    The thread is about Russia and I was making the point that Putin has been running the UK in recent years

• Like Like x 1
  12. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    I agree,it could be counterproductive thats why the Captain America demeanor would only inflame the situation but the sanctions are already biting the Russian public,maybe they could turn on putin.

• Like Like x 1
  13. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    There's hope.

Arrests at anti-war protests in Russia
    upload_2022-2-24_18-56-8.gif
    Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images

At least 735 people have been arrested at anti-war protests across Russia today following the invasion of Ukraine, an independent monitor says.

Demonstrators were detained in 40 cities, according to OVD-Info, which tracks arrests at opposition rallies.

More than 330 people have been detained in Moscow, it says.

Images have emerged of Russian police detaining protesters at an anti-war protest taking place in central Moscow's Pushkinskaya Square.

An image taken by an AFP photographer at the scene shows officers detaining a man holding a placard which reads: "No to war with Ukraine! Putin to resign".

upload_2022-2-24_18-56-8.gif
    AFP via Getty ImagesCopyright: AFP via Getty Images
    Other images show officers blocking-off the square. A Guardian reporter at the scene said on Twitter that there is a "very heavy police presence" in the area.

In the US, a pro-Ukraine rally is expected to take place outside the White House in Washington DC at 16:30 local time (21:30 GMT).

14. Mock Turtle

Mock Turtle Hey God, what went wrong?
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +6,937
    Religion:
    Agnostic and with strong irreligious convictions.
  15. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    There's more good Russians and brave.

Posted at 19:0619:06
    Anti-war protesters gathered near Kremlin
    More now on anti-war protests taking place in Russia as Joe Biden takes questions from journalists at the White House.

At least 735 people have been arrested at these protests across Russia today, including more than 330 in Moscow, according to OVD-Info, which tracks arrests at opposition rallies.

Footage from Moscow shows large crowds close to the Kremlin.

Some 2,000 people gathered near Pushkin Square in Moscow and up to 1,000 people in the city of St Petersburg, AFP news agency reports.

Social embed from twitter

The truth is out.

• Like Like x 1
  16. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    A significant Russian:

Jailed Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny - on trial in a Moscow prison - has accused Vladimir Putin of using the invasion of Ukraine to cover up Russian corruption.

In a video published by independent news outlet Dozhd, Navalny is heard expressing his opposition to the invasion of Ukraine.

Wearing a prison uniform, he says it would lead to a "huge number of victims, destroyed futures and the continuation of this line of impoverishment of the citizens of Russia".

Quote Message: This war between Russia and Ukraine was unleashed to cover up the theft from Russian citizens and divert their attention from problems that exist inside the country. from Alexei Navalny
    This war between Russia and Ukraine was unleashed to cover up the theft from Russian citizens and divert their attention from problems that exist inside the country.

Alexei Navalny
    Navalny has been jailed for over a year on old fraud charges, after surviving a poison attack, which he and the West say was carried out by the Kremlin.

He is being tried inside the maximum security prison on new charges that could see his imprisonment extended by a decade.

17. England my lionheart

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,541
    Religion:
    Atheist
    • Like Like x 1