• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We need illegals to stay and pick the crops sez Pelosi.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Ah, I understand.
Because we need slaves to exploit, because American citizens won't be exploited by exploiters.

The lounge-loving and elitist Left in a nutshell.

The Italian Democratic Party mantra: we need thousands of migrants, because we need someone who picks up tomatoes at low salary.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ah, I understand.
Because we need slaves to exploit, because American citizens won't be exploited by exploiters.

Nope: Pay a decent wage to those who want to do hard manual labor jobs that Americans won't do. We did it during WWII - it was called the Bracero program and allowed people in legally for short term work.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone knows that there is a tinge of racist "But, where will we get maids or lawn-care? Who will pick the crops for substantially below value wages?" to the left's views of immigration. It isn't even hidden very well. "I love it when a street vendor comes to my neighborhood and sells tacos"-liberalism.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Nope: Pay a decent wage to those who want to do hard manual labor jobs that Americans won't do. We did it during WWII - it was called the Bracero program and allowed people in legally for short term work.

Pay people a fair salary...the State has the money to give agriculture (farming corporations) incentives.
Instead of feeding a bunch of godless banking dynasties with billion dollar Seigniorage fees.

Unfortunately... in the United States there has never been the equal redistribution of the lands.
Some colonizers took all the lands and left the new settlers with nothing.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah, I understand.

The Italian Democratic Party mantra: we need thousands of migrants, because we need someone who picks up tomatoes at low salary.

Are you suggesting that the left exploit undocumented workers, and the right don't?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Everyone knows that there is a tinge of racist "But, where will we get maids or lawn-care? Who will pick the crops for substantially below value wages?" to the left's views of immigration. It isn't even hidden very well. "I love it when a street vendor comes to my neighborhood and sells tacos"-liberalism.

I mean...Texas is a pretty red state, and the history of Mexican farm workers since the 60s has included plenty of exploitation.

I think this is a bipartisan issue, in terms of talking out of both sides of their mouths.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
That isn't really 'the left's' position. Maybe rich center right liberals. But the left I'm around want naturalization to be many times more achievable/accessible if not illegal residence on a whole to be a civil penalty. So nobody feels like they need to be in an exploitable under the table position.

Also, they want -any- employer not paying a livable wage to not be able to do business/paying a livable wage to all workers be the price of doing business.

So upward mobility should be available to migrants but people who are in labor positions shouldn't be denigrated or unable to function.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Are you suggesting that the left exploit undocumented workers, and the right don't?
The right here is for giving native Italians labor rights, whereas the Italian Left would rather import low-cost-workforce, because the Left here is related to:
- big corporations
- big banks
- big businesses
who aim at the profit maximization, and the profit maximization is achieved by paying workers nothing.

amorphous_constellation

I would think that right, being pro-corporate freedom and generally anti-union, would like to find workers who are not yet ready to organize. But if some of the left also put forth a similar, parallel view, then that is also bad, and I suppose possibly racist. I don't really know how the higher classes from this country, from either political side, really conceptualize the issue of immigration.

All I know is, as a factory worker myself, I have worked with people from 5 different countries simultaneously, and I can get along with all of them fine. They all know how to work hard, or can learn quickly, and they all seem like they want what anyone else wants. I think I'd prefer the company of immigrants with a work ethic, to that of the american upper-crust anyway, or to that of people in my own homegrown american family, who have taken to self-destructive or lazy behavior

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Ah, I understand.

Guess which of the two American political parties has actually been fighting to raise wages...

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Perhaps on some level. But sometimes this is a sincere interest in diversity and sometimes this is a tactic to remove the stigma of the mythical immigrant living off welfare.

That "the left" also supports higher wages should be a good indicator that they aren't just interested in slave labor. If immigrants are interested in jobs American-born folks don't want, then they deserve the money! It's crucial work.

I worked for a local orchard where few American-born folks were working. Mostly, it was Jamaican and South American folks. They were great workers and certainly deserved what they made. Without them, the orchard wouldn't be around due to having no workers.

Ironically, the owners were pro-Trump Republicans.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I've noticed this attitude quite a bit myself, and it seems to point up the main reason why this issue has never really been resolved after so many decades of political wrangling over immigration and the border.

Of course, the conservative capitalists are equally hypocritical when they speak of free trade, which implies an elimination of tariffs and open borders, yet they want to militarize the border and continue waging the war on drugs. To support drug prohibition and extreme border restrictions is hypocritical for those who claim to support free trade and free markets.

So, the bottom line is, both sides are hypocritical. Both sides are dishonest, and as a result, the problem never gets resolved.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I notice that Pelosi only wants illegals to "pick the crops".
This is interesting.
Does she imagine that all illegals are farm workers?
She says there's a shortage of workers generally.
Would she allow them to work in offices, stores, factories,
or in her business?
Or does she want them segregated in states dominated
more by farming, ie, rural states...no urban areas?

People who think this way often say that Americans won't
do that kind of work. But those illegals & their children
will become Ameristanians. So we'd need a steady
influx of illegals. This is not a sustainable model.

Audie

Veteran Member
both parties like immigrants, the left out of mercy, because they are often in escape mode, and the right likes them because they aren't in a position to unionize

Everyone is in favour of immigration of
people who integrate well with society
but there's a faction who want open borders.