• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We Haven't Understood The Half of It.

Ellen Brown

In my mind, after reading the Biblical account, the Garden of Eden is likely in Southern Turkey or Northern Iraq. What amazes me is that the land where God started man out is today controlled by factions of Islam that hate each other. Amazing, just amazing.

Then I ran into a site that claims to know the exact location of the Garden of Eden, not that it matters ...

Garden of Eden Discovered !

WalterTrull

Godfella
Ah the Garden. Might we inhabit the garden now? I’m intrigued by “lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.” Doesn’t answer the “why” questions, but it may be an interesting reference. Anyway...

Rational Agnostic

In my mind, after reading the Biblical account, the Garden of Eden is likely in Southern Turkey or Northern Iraq. What amazes me is that the land where God started man out is today controlled by factions of Islam that hate each other. Amazing, just amazing.

Then I ran into a site that claims to know the exact location of the Garden of Eden, not that it matters ...

Humans originated in Africa, not in the Middle East. And God didn't start humans out. Humans evolved from an ape-like ancestor shared with chimpanzees and bonobos.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

well, it's not like that the first half of the article is true or anything...but it is a good setup to the second half...

74x12

I like the under earth theory. There is no reason scripturally that the garden of Eden couldn't be underground somewhere. For example one of the rivers mentioned is Gihon. The Gihon spring in Jerusalem springs up in the temple area. Priests in ancient times used it for ceremonial cleansing. This might even be the underground river of Gihon.

But of course an inner earth Eden is wild speculation. Not a fact.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Personally this my view of the symbolism of Eden. From the movie "They Might be Giants":

Because, you see, we live in Eden. Genesis has got it all wrong — we never left the Garden. Look about you. This is paradise. It's hard to find, I'll grant you, but it is here. Under our feet, beneath the surface, all around us is everything we want. The earth is shining under the soot. We are all fools.

InvestigateTruth

Which Biblical account are you referring?

whirlingmerc

Geography could have change quite a bit due to Noah's flood... so take 'the exact location of Eden' with a healthy grain of salt

Ellen Brown

Personally this my view of the symbolism of Eden. From the movie "They Might be Giants":

Because, you see, we live in Eden. Genesis has got it all wrong — we never left the Garden. Look about you. This is paradise. It's hard to find, I'll grant you, but it is here. Under our feet, beneath the surface, all around us is everything we want. The earth is shining under the soot. We are all fools.

Oh, like, "The Kingdom of Heaven is Within You?"

David T

Premium Member

I have seen bigfoot as well. ok I even have pictures!!!>

whirlingmerc

Homo sapiens evolved in Africa and spread out from there. The Garden of Eden is mythological.

I do believe Eden was real history. I would not put allot of weight in guessing at the exact location.

The tabernacle and Temple had many images related to Eden and there is a view that it represents the re-Eden-ization of the world someday in the redemption bought by Jesus

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I do believe Eden was real history. I would not put allot of weight in guessing at the exact location.

The tabernacle and Temple had many images related to Eden and there is a view that it represents the re-Eden-ization of the world someday in the redemption bought by Jesus
That's nice, but it's still a myth with no historicity.

dfnj

I don't think it matters.

I'm pretty sure our omnipotent God knew exactly what was going to happen to the apple in the garden with a naked woman prancing about.

GoodbyeDave

I sometimes wonder how the people who take Old Testament myths as history cope with the parables in the New Testament. Imagine asking Jesus for the name and address of the Good Samaritan, so that you could reward him. Myths and parables are stories told to make what those who tell them think are very important points.